Russian, Thai and Korean killed in motorcycle accident in Pattaya

webfact

9 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

The whole management and attitude about pedestrians need to change....

very few actual lighted pedestrian crossings via smart signals....actually never seen one as part of a 4 way intersection...they do have a couple in CM city but not at intersections...

pedestrians themselves are at blame here also as they cross anywhere everywhere and not use overpasses bridges walkways....to minimize at risk vs drivers here who don't stop or yield to pedestrians anyway...

starts with education ( in theory) and proper gov leadership

True, it is a perfect storm for this type of accident, especially at night. It is quite dark where this happened and it would have seemed the bike was revving out and would have been quite loud. Seems drivers and pedestrians alike have very little situational awareness around here. Just my observation.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, mok199 said:

the famous Beach Rd/Freeway and beyond...speeds rival that of sukumvit

Its the high speed motor cycles and their drivers that are the problem.  I think I've seen this couple speeding around and showing off.

6 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

True, it is a perfect storm for this type of accident, especially at night. It is quite dark where this happened and it would have seemed the bike was revving out and would have been quite loud. Seems drivers and pedestrians alike have very little situational awareness around here. Just my observation.

There are no over head walkways on beach Rd! No places to cross. No traffic calming measures. No pedestrian crossings - maybe one at most. The fault is the owners and drivers of these motorbikes that are unnecessarily powerful, noisy and anti social. Foreigners should be limited to bikes of less than 100 cc.

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

There are no over head walkways on beach Rd! No places to cross. No traffic calming measures. No pedestrian crossings - maybe one at most. The fault is the owners and drivers of these motorbikes that are unnecessarily powerful, noisy and anti social. Foreigners should be limited to bikes of less than 100 cc.

It happened on Thappraya Rd 1km before Jomtien Beach Rd. Same difference, no place to cross and very dark

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

How do you know the bike was rented?

How do you know the Russian had no license?

How do you know he was inexperienced?

I did not see any of your conclusions backed up in either article. 

But I do agree with you on one point;

I hope all 3 victims of this terrible accident will rest in peace. 

well maybe not rented but I know 3 people are dead through some young idiots stupidity thinking above his station................of that I am 100% certain

not much more to say really

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Actually looks like the kid lived here with his father who I am sure is devastated along with the other victims families.

His FB page showed a photo of the bike. Lost my son 24 in a car wreck in 2014, wasn't wearing a seatbelt which was dumb. Worst thing I ever went through. Kids do dumb stuff, we all did, but that doesn't change the fact these people had families that loved them and are now going through a living hell. Give them a break, show some respect, put yourself in their shoes. Everyone realizes what could have / should have been done but right now is not the time to blow off steam.

R.I.P to these young people and may their families one day find peace.

very sorry for your loss and yes people do stupid things, unfortunately this episode of stupidity got 3 people killed..............that is not easy to do and highly likely involved this young guy.............................being ....stupid 

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

in the city in a built up area especially at night is no place to be speeding in or on any type of vehicle, 2.7secs and I can be doing 110kph in 1st gear..........................................anyone riding like that on a city street deserves what they get, the others didn't.

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

in the city in a built up area especially at night is no place to be speeding in or on any type of vehicle, 2.7secs and I can be doing 110kph in 1st gear..........................................anyone riding like that on a city street deserves what they get, the others didn't.

You're absolutely right and all one needs to do is spend 60 seconds standing beside any busy road in Patty to observe a dozen or so brain dead things that drivers do. In this case a share of the blame might also be due to the fact a group of Koreans ventured blindly into the path of a screaming motorcycle that was obviously making a whole lot of noise on a dark road. Deal is we're never going to convince twenty-two year olds that they are not bullet-proof nor are we going to convince Chinese people to pay attention where they are walking, it ain't happening. Practicing situational awareness is all you can do.

13 hours ago, KKr said:

and, did you get out of the car ?

In Bangkok the taxi I was traveling had his phone on the instrument cluster display (speedo etc), the taxi driver was watching a movie.

when I told him it was dangerous and asked him to turn it off he said he was just charging the phone. I asked him to stop so I could get out, only then did he put the phone on the seat.

This was in response to KKr's comment on page 2 of this thread and identifies exactly how little regard there is for the safety of others out there on Thailands roads.

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

22 year old and living in Pattaya.  I don't think he was here doing medical research or pursuing religious studies. How does a 22 year old Russian manage to stay in Pattaya when there are all sorts of  immigration barriers that legit people have to get around?

He was a monk doing drug research.  Just came to Pattaya for a holiday. 

4 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

.... Lost my son 24 in a car wreck in 2014, wasn't wearing a seatbelt which was dumb. Worst thing I ever went through. Kids do dumb stuff, we all did, but that doesn't change the fact these people had families that loved them and are now going through a living hell. Give them a break, show some respect, put yourself in their shoes. Everyone realizes what could have / should have been done but right now is not the time to blow off steam.

I lost a 20 year old son to a rocket propelled grenade in Iraq in 2005.  Hell, ain't it?  Worst thing, I was the one who told my Thai wife.  My hair stands on end, for both of us.

The Russians seem to like posturing on these large bikes, one sliced himself in half on Jomtiem 2nd Rd a few years back. Ironic that a road where traffic hardly moves most times, and was widened at no benefit to that problem, was clear enough for this guy to open the throttle. I seriously hope the guy who rented it is well out of pocket. They have actually put the crossing lights back in working order on Beach Rd and I wonder if they were utilized. Sad waste of life.

16 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I once spoke up at a minivan driver (I try and avoid using them as much as possible as I know what kind of death traps they are) but this guy was texting whilst driving us between Thailand and Hua Hin. He would go through phases of texting for a few minutes, putting the phone down and concentrating g on driving again. When I spoke to him about that, he later started to cut his nails whilst driving lol.. 

yes it is a tough go ,thais do not take to critism well,..I have many thai enimies here in Thailand...but my theory is '' I don't give a <deleted> ,my family and I come first...asses every situation on its own..DO NOT  have a blanket  policy of reacting to every little problem...if you see an imminent danger then speak up,do not be insulting ,try humour,bribes, if it fails try it again ,if the situation gets worse...then you be your own judge.,my family and I use the mini van service often,getting home to our small village in issan .its the only bus that goes into this small area.and I don't drive from pattaya anymore its not a fun drive.i have learned to let texting pass if its done cautiously,even speeding if the driver is good,but speak up if he passes traffic on the shoulder side,I let my wife and child sleep and I watch the driver like a hawk...we always travel in the day time..mini vans are important in Thailand,and most drivers are great....

59 minutes ago, mok199 said:

I watch the driver like a hawk...we always travel in the day time..mini vans are important in Thailand,and most drivers are great....

You cannot be serious ??????, sorry but my experience is vastly different from yours both being a passenger in a minivan and from what I have seen during the 90,000km I have covered on Thai roads, they are lunatics - take massive risks - and kill a lot of people on Thai roads................................they are far from great

8 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Actually looks like the kid lived here with his father who I am sure is devastated along with the other victims families.

His FB page showed a photo of the bike. Lost my son 24 in a car wreck in 2014, wasn't wearing a seatbelt which was dumb. Worst thing I ever went through. Kids do dumb stuff, we all did, but that doesn't change the fact these people had families that loved them and are now going through a living hell. Give them a break, show some respect, put yourself in their shoes. Everyone realizes what could have / should have been done but right now is not the time to blow off steam.

No doubt it is tragic, but it also looks like this Ruskie on the Rice Rocket also took 2 other people with him.  Very irresponsible!

3 hours ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

Road carnage gets as much notice on this forum as does the Russian/Clinton/Obama/Trump election collusion does in the U. S.  Reading about these daily tragedies must appeal to the masses as death seems to be the most popular topic covered in any new forum. What is the value of posting the sad, tragic stories day after day?

Morbid curiosity, part of the business plan, an attempt via publicity to nudge somebody into some kind of action to cut the figures down, farang involvement helps, because its just news maybe, plus any others that might spring to mind, etc etc take your pick

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

yes it is a tough go ,thais do not take to critism well,..I have many thai enimies here in Thailand...but my theory is '' I don't give a <deleted> ,my family and I come first...asses every situation on its own..DO NOT  have a blanket  policy of reacting to every little problem...if you see an imminent danger then speak up,do not be insulting ,try humour,bribes, if it fails try it again ,if the situation gets worse...then you be your own judge.,my family and I use the mini van service often,getting home to our small village in issan .its the only bus that goes into this small area.and I don't drive from pattaya anymore its not a fun drive.i have learned to let texting pass if its done cautiously,even speeding if the driver is good,but speak up if he passes traffic on the shoulder side,I let my wife and child sleep and I watch the driver like a hawk...we always travel in the day time..mini vans are important in Thailand,and most drivers are great....

You need to incentivize the journey.  Pull out a crisp 20 baht note and tell the driver politely, that this "could be yours" if you follow my instruction during the journey. Works every time!

17 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Crossing a road, especially Beach Rd and Second Rd are the hazardous moments of anyone's day in Pattaya. And at night truly dangerous. 

Speed bumps is the only answer, since there is no law enforcement here, speed bumps is the only way to stop city streets turning into highway.  Not even highway, more like a race track, except race track with people walking across it. 

if you want to observe race track driving head for Jomtien and F1 as it is known

locally, yes good old Thrappraya Rd, I would not attempt to cross it of a night it is safer getting a taxi and even of a day they have the pedal to the metal as they

race down towards VT1.  

27 minutes ago, Keesters said:

If the pedestrian operated crossing lights worked, tourists used them and drivers obeyed them then accidents like this could be greatly reduced.

RIP

Your not wrong, but these kinds of actions you are suggesting are only associated with a first world nanny state, hence you will just have to file them alongside all the other impossible dreams

After all whats the loss of three more lives in the big scheme of things, cant have that interfering with local freedoms, gawd no

Suppose another problem for tourists is if they come from a country that drives on the right, must confess when l go into Lao l have made mistakes when crossing a road..Not saying the tourists made a mistake, obviously the biker did that showing off..

17 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Back in the UK we were taught common sense 40 years ago and it still holds good today. SPLINK!

Brilliant way to teach kids how to cross the roads in a western country , but it would not work in Thailand. Too much traffic , still as a pedestrian you need to learn and think like a local , look left and right and left and right all the time , and then run for your life . 

In and amongst all the callous comments above a young boy no longer has a mother.

Ness was who she was but at the end of the day she was doing it to support her son- now that has gone.

Dwell on that whilst you are making your crass comments.

Have reported to police many time calling the pattaya city call center 1337 dial 9 for English motobikes always speeding around jomtien late into the night bless there hearts they report to police but I think the police can't be bothered to do anything, shame as it disturbs the peace ,cant  sleep from the roar , any other phone numbers I can call ?? 

11 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

In and amongst all the callous comments above a young boy no longer has a mother.

Ness was who she was but at the end of the day she was doing it to support her son- now that has gone.

Dwell on that whilst you are making your crass comments.

Seen many girls do that here. The ones who are truly dedicated and exlusively doing it for those rightful reasons don't end up in the news as often as her. The only victims here are the Korean tourist (possible confusion about traffic directions) and her son. The rest simply had their luck and antics catch up to them. 

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The whole management and attitude about pedestrians need to change....

very few actual lighted pedestrian crossings via smart signals....actually never seen one as part of a 4 way intersection...they do have a couple in CM city but not at intersections...

pedestrians themselves are at blame here also as they cross anywhere everywhere and not use overpasses bridges walkways....to minimize at risk vs drivers here who don't stop or yield to pedestrians anyway...

starts with education ( in theory) and proper gov leadership

I tried to draw attention to this fact when I started this thread  last September. Some posters were even quite dismissive about the whole situation at that time insinuating that the responsibility lies with the pedestrians even when using pedestrian crossings and not the speeding motorists.

Nothing has changed and in my view nothing will ever change:sad:

Archived