Family ordered off Bangkok-Samui bus because of crying child

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Some quite awful comments on here. 

I strongly suspect that they don't have children, or any experience with them.

Sometimes, children cry & you just cannot stop them.

I hear ya .....    but what's awful about a passenger not wanting a screaming kid near them  ?

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Many here approve of the Thai family having been offloaded from the bus. Fine.

Just curious, but how would you guys have reacted if it was a farang family ?

I would have reacted the same way. I am not sure throwing them out is a good thing on the other hand I really feel for people who are subjected to the crying of children. Especially if it is prolonged, i feel its up to the parents to silence their child or maybe find an other mode of transportation if their child cannot behave. 

Everyone is paying for the trip and they want that trip in relative comfort.. not driven mad by a crying child on a 12 hour trip.

I am not sure what is good and bad but if the child was crying non stop instead of an hour or so then it would be a choice between the other passengers comfort and the right to travel of the parents. 

I know as a person (and yes I am bad) i would not have mind them getting of the bus because 10 or more hours of crying is not something I would like to be subjected too. If you can't control your child (until a reasonable degree some crying is normal but not everything should be accepted)

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Some quite awful comments on here. 

I strongly suspect that they don't have children, or any experience with them.

Sometimes, children cry & you just cannot stop them.

an hour of crying is not a problem.. but 10 hours is a bit too much... you weigh the comfort of a single family and their crying child higher as a bus full passengers.. others don't.

Its that simple.. i am tolerant up until a certain level.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

an hour of crying is not a problem.. but 10 hours is a bit too much... you weigh the comfort of a single family and their crying child higher as a bus full passengers.. others don't.

Its that simple.. i am tolerant up until a certain level.

Hang on a minute , the kid wasnt crying to 10 hours , it was 30 minutes

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Hang on a minute , the kid wasnt crying to 10 hours , it was 30 minutes

If 30 minutes suck it up..  and then this is overkill. I read somewhere else it was much longer than this. 30 minutes is more then acceptable.. i said an hour too.. but not all the time on a 10 hour drive.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

If 30 minutes suck it up..  and then this is overkill. I read somewhere else it was much longer than this. 30 minutes is more then acceptable.. i said an hour too.. but not all the time on a 10 hour drive.

Children usually cry themselves to sleep as well

The better thing to have done was to let the kid get off the bus for 10 minutes , let him get some fresh air , try to make him sleep , then get back on the bus and give him a spare seat , if one was available

Just now, sanemax said:

Children usually cry themselves to sleep as well

The better thing to have done was to let the kid get off the bus for 10 minutes , let him get some fresh air , try to make him sleep , then get back on the bus and give him a spare seat , if one was available

I have no problem with a bit of crying but you got kids that go on for hours.. the article in the BKK post was different but i could have misread. 

But really an hour of crying is annoying but acceptable.. longer then that and all the time would be not acceptable in my book. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have no problem with a bit of crying but you got kids that go on for hours.. the article in the BKK post was different but i could have misread. 

But really an hour of crying is annoying but acceptable.. longer then that and all the time would be not acceptable in my book. 

Is it acceptable to leave two children, by the side of the road, at night , with no money for food or money to continue their journey ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Is it acceptable to leave two children, by the side of the road, at night , with no money for food or money to continue their journey ?

Depends on how long they were crying and they were with their parents. At some point you need to make decision comfort of other passengers or that of a family with nuisance kids (fictive family). It all depends on how long they cry how much of a problem it creates. If you can't control your kids to a normal degree then why should others suffer ? 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Depends on how long they were crying and they were with their parents. At some point you need to make decision comfort of other passengers or that of a family with nuisance kids (fictive family). It all depends on how long they cry how much of a problem it creates. If you can't control your kids to a normal degree then why should others suffer ? 

If the kids were misbehaving, being unruly , then you would expect the parents to keep then under control , but if a child is crying, theres not much that parents can do to stop them .

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If the crying is intermitant and not considered excessive then that's fine. However if the crying is continued the other passengers shouldn't have a 10hr journey subject to that.  The bus did correct except possibly refund the family so they can get a hotel room. This would have solved everyone's problem.

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If the kids were misbehaving, being unruly , then you would expect the parents to keep then under control , but if a child is crying, theres not much that parents can do to stop them .

But does that mean others would have to suffer for hours and hours ? (talking here about more then normal crying .. not 30 minutes) You have to look at it from the other passengers side too. They book a night bus to sleep and they get less value for money. Now at some point the rights of others thump that of the rights of parents with a crying kid.. when.. now that is a hard choice.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:42 AM, steven100 said:

that doesn't mean all passengers should be subject to kids screaming ....   mum , shut the kid up or get off  ....  that's the mute button.

And when you fall asleep and snore like a rhino in heat, then we also toss you out in the rain on the side of the road?

Traveling with public transportation means you travel with the public. If you don't like it, arrange your own transportation. 

44 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

And when you fall asleep and snore like a rhino in heat, then we also toss you out in the rain on the side of the road?

Traveling with public transportation means you travel with the public. If you don't like it, arrange your own transportation. 

I don't snore ....   :tongue:     I respect other folks privacy & wanting their peace and quite.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

That's why they should stay home untill they are old enough to sit and keep their mouth.

So, what are you suggesting .

The Family were travelling to the Fathers new job .

Would you suggest that the Father doesnt go to his new job, or that he goes on his own and leaves his Family behind, just so that you will not get disturbed on a bus , should the Child begin to cry

On 1/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, steven100 said:

please explain to me that if your child is continually crying at a high pitch for 30 minutes ....   why should other passengers have to endure that  ? 

The mother is responsible for taking care of her children,  that is in any society and situation ...

the mother is responsible - says a lot about your world view.

i have always believed the parent to be responsible.

children cry - in any society and any situation.  I also don't see how turfing a family out on the roadside in the middle of the night is acceptable, in any society or any situation.

i also carry earplugs. 

im also somewhat surprised that the expulsion was precipitated by an employee of the buss company rather than as a result of passenger complaints.

many things wrong about the whole situation.

So, what are you suggesting .
The Family were travelling to the Fathers new job .
Would you suggest that the Father doesnt go to his new job, or that he goes on his own and leaves his Family behind, just so that you will not get disturbed on a bus , should the Child begin to cry

EMS child

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, steven100 said:

please explain to me that if your child is continually crying at a high pitch for 30 minutes ....   why should other passengers have to endure that  ? .

I think it is generally called compassion and an understanding that most normal functioning humans will at some point have children of their own. So we endure it because one day we might be the parents with a screaming kid. Rather than being self centered and focused on our own wellbeing. 

If a screaming baby, however annoying is the worst the world can throw at you, then you are doing pretty well. 

Personally if a young family trying to get home were causing me such discomfort then I would rather get off the bus, as their need to get home quickly is far greater than mine. Young kids in a petrol station hotel - Good grief, a terrible solution. 

7 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Wish they did this on planes too

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree - although I do think that there is a distinction to be drawn between inconsiderate and selfish parents who insist on having their screaming brats accompany them on a long-haul flight for a holiday which could and should have been spent a lot closer to home (IMHO anyway) and the incident referred to in the OP where the family was making the bus journey out of necessity to enable the father to take up a new job.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, steven100 said:

difficult situation and I feel sorry for the poor guy ....

but have you ever had to put up with a sreaming kid near you on a 8 hr flight   ... 

It's a problem ....     but parents need to take responsibility for their screaming kids.

Not since I started flying EVA Premium Elite on the LAX to Taiwan 13 hour flight about 7 years ago.  That class of seating hasn't had any babies on it on any of my flights.  I did have a miserable cross country USA fligh of like 5 1/2 hours and I had upgraded to premium on Alaska Air.  The lady just let her kid do whatever he want.  He wasn't a baby, just a brat of a few years.  Coach is rough enough but add some screaming kids, and one can understand why infanticide is out there

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Not since I started flying EVA Premium Elite on the LAX to Taiwan 13 hour flight about 7 years ago.  That class of seating hasn't had any babies on it on any of my flights.  I did have a miserable cross country USA fligh of like 5 1/2 hours and I had upgraded to premium on Alaska Air.  The lady just let her kid do whatever he want.  He wasn't a baby, just a brat of a few years.  Coach is rough enough but add some screaming kids, and one can understand why infanticide is out there

One of the worst flights I ever took was about 20 years ago on a Gulf Air flight from Heathrow to Qatar in cattle class. The worst offenders were Arab boys agred from about 9 to 14 or 15 years. They ran riot and no Arab father controlled of disciplined them in any way. The girls were much quieter and far better behaved. That was the way that they were brought up then, though I don't think that much has changed since then.

same  .....    While I feel for the parents, it is their responsibility to control there own kids,   why should every other paying passenger have to endure the crying or screaming child if it's excessive. 

How do you get them removed on an aeroplane when you are not getting your Beauty sleep

I hear ya .....    but what's awful about a passenger not wanting a screaming kid near them  ?

It’s annoying for sure and I’ve endured children and baby’s crying on long haul flights for hours on end. I’ve also endured fat smelly beery travellers sitting beside me on a full flight.
I’ll take the screaming baby’s day. At least they don’t choose to teeth or be ill.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, steven100 said:

difficult situation and I feel sorry for the poor guy ....

but have you ever had to put up with a sreaming kid near you on a 8 hr flight   ... 

It's a problem ....     but parents need to take responsibility for their screaming kids.

Exactly how do you stop a kid screaming?

Archived