E-cigarettes - Thailand ban is "appropriate" says leading doctor

webfact

1 hour ago, wadsy said:

"People should not be encouraged to take up e-cigarettes as a means of quitting regular smoking"

Both my best mate and my son have used e-cigerettes to quit the ciggies and BOTH said they couldn't do it without them. Dr Prakit is smoking crack or in cahoots with Thai Tobacco - probably both.

Wow, two weak-willed individuals claim it helped them, let's make them legal then!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, connda said:

Then ban cigarettes and all tobacco products you flaming hypocrites!  :sleep:

How can you accuse him of being a hypocrite when all he commented on in this report was the subject of e-cigs, perhaps he has exactly the same views about cigarettes?

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Countries where very little research confirming them to be safe has been done.  What is 'the fiction' that this doctor was promulgated?

As opposed to all the research that's been done on legal cigarettes declaring them  absolutely unsafe.

The Government did not 'get a paid spokesman to voice their policies', though, unless you read a different report.

Anyone can be bought. Do you know for a fact that he wasn't?

1 hour ago, thescot said:

All 'top' doctors worldwide are wrong and this 'top' doctor is correct. Must be true then ;)

The thing is that all top doctors worldwide have not confirmed that e-cigs are safe.  But, even if they had, why should they be right and this doctor wrong?

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

As opposed to all the research that's been done on legal cigarettes declaring them  absolutely unsafe.

This is about e-cigs, not other cigarettes.  But, just because one particular thing is unsafe does not mean it's a good idea to allow another that may be equally unsafe to be sold to an unsuspecting public, does it?

Well, you made the assertion so is there any indication that he was paid by the Government to say this that reasonably justifies that assertion?

I used the word "can", didn't state it as a fact. When hundreds of millions in revenue is at stake, biased opinions can easily be bought.

Just now, Just Weird said:

This is about e-cigs, not other cigarettes.  But, just because one particular thing is unsafe does not mean it's a good idea to allow another that may be equally unsafe to be sold to an unsuspecting public, does it?

Then why not ban the thing that has been proven unsafe and is responsible for the deaths of millions? The answer is obvious.

Do you have any justification for your claim/question?

Do you know how many doctors the tobacco industry touted who swore that smoking was perfectly safe? No one knows for sure if this particular doctor was paid or not, but it's certainly in the realms of possibility.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you know how many doctors the tobacco industry touted who swore that smoking was perfectly safe? No one knows for sure if this particular doctor was paid or not, but it's certainly in the realms of possibility.

That wasn't addressed to you.   The issue was that the poster that I did address the comment to was saying that he was a fake doctor and, yes, I am aware of the support that smoking (allegedly) got from certain areas of the medical profession 50/60 years ago, or thereabouts, not in this century, that's for bloody sure.

Just now, Just Weird said:

That wasn't addressed to you.   The issue was that the poster that I did address the comment to was saying that he was a fake doctor and, yes, I am aware of the support that smoking (allegedly) got from certain areas of the medical profession 50/60 years ago, or thereabouts, not in this century, that's for bloody sure.

Bribes never go out of fashion, neither do paid for opinions.

What has that got to do with my comment?..."The issue was that the poster that I did address the comment to was saying that he was a fake doctor and, yes, I am aware of the support that smoking (allegedly) got from certain areas of the medical profession 50/60 years ago, or thereabouts, not in this century, that's for bloody sure".

Do you really need for me to point out the obvious to you? You adamantly stated that the support that was given by the medical profession was not in this century, that's for bloody sure, as though the same thing couldn't possibly happen in this day and age.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you really need for me to point out the obvious to you? You adamantly stated that the support that was given by the medical profession was not in this century, that's for bloody sure, as though the same thing couldn't possibly happen in this day and age.

What I said was correct, that's why I was so adamant. 

What I really need you to point out, as you asked, is the name of just one doctor in the past 50 years who has claimed cigarette smoking to be safe.

What I said was correct, that's why I was so adamant. 

What I really need you to point out, as you asked, is the name of just one doctor in the past 50 years who has claimed cigarette smoking to be safe.

When a product has been proven to be as lethal as cigarettes, it would take some kind of idiot to now say otherwise, and maybe the same thing is now happening with e cigarettes. If you don't believe that the tobacco industry has a vested interest in condemning any kind of competition to their products, you are seriously deluded.

So this guy is a "leading" doctor. Seems to display the same intelligence as the rest of the crackpots at the top and running this country.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

People should not be encouraged to take up e-cigarettes as a means of quitting regular smoking. It was not proven that they were safe at all and more research needed to be done.

Just amazing. Not proven they are safe. What's been proven is cigs are definitely not safe and e-cigs can help in giving them up.  

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

When a product has been proven to be as lethal as cigarettes, it would take some kind of idiot to now say otherwise, and maybe the same thing is now happening with e cigarettes. If you don't believe that the tobacco industry has a vested interest in condemning any kind of competition to their products, you are seriously deluded.

"If you don't believe that the tobacco industry has a vested interest in condemning any kind of competition..."

I didn't say that, and I made no comment about vested interests, but you seem to want to drag something about that out of me for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Is there such a thing as a pro-smoking panel?   In fact, is there such a thing as a pro-smoking person, anywhere, who has all their facilities?

Anyone who has shares in Philip Morris or any other big tobacco company.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So this guy is a "leading" doctor. Seems to display the same intelligence as the rest of the crackpots at the top and running this country.

Just amazing. Not proven they are safe. What's been proven is cigs are definitely not safe and e-cigs can help in giving them up.  

The issue here is not traditional cigarettes, everyone knows that smoking them is bad for the health but what some people are claiming is that smoking e-cigs isn't.

Archived