E-cigarettes - Thailand ban is "appropriate" says leading doctor

webfact

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone who has shares in Philip Morris or any other big tobacco company.

That wouldn't necessarily make them pro-smoking!

I've got Apple shares but that doesn't mean that am pro-AAPL, I wouldn't touch an Apple device with a bargepole.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quit smoking about 4 years ago with the help of e-cigarettes. It worked for me. I am still vaping though and I enjoy it. Well, I am just a simple engineer and not an enlightened and super educated doctor like these 2 gentlemen cited in the report. One thing is for sure: my last health check 4 months ago showed that I am in much better shape than 10 years ago when I was still on cancer sticks. My doctor in Germany told me that it was the right decision to start vaping and stop smoking. If these 2 so-called doctors and self-proclaimed experts on e-cigarettes would do their job and read some research papers about vaping before they even open their mouths then they should know that vaping is far more safer than smoking the stinkies. On the one side these 2 quacks argue that vaping might be 95% safer than smoking is nonsense because a lot more research has to be done. On the other hand they cite cancer and heart disease as a consequence if you use e-cigarettes. How can they be so sure when -according to them- there is still a lot of research to be done? And now I am even outlawed in Thailand only because I vape. I can end up in jail because of a device and some liquid which helped me to improve my health. This is so ridiculous. And so obvious. I bet my house that these quacks and many of the idiot 'lawmakers' get paid by the tobacco industry. If they really do care about the health of their people than why do they not outlaw smoking, alcohol, pesticides, and other harmful substances? Follow the money and you know why they are bullshitting people. 

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

That wouldn't necessarily make them pro-smoking!

I've got Apple shares but that doesn't mean that am pro-AAPL, I wouldn't touch an Apple device with a bargepole.

Of course it does. Investors would want as many people as possible to smoke, doesn't mean that they have to be smokers themselves. You mightn't touch an Apple product, but you'd want millions of others to buy wouldn't you?

What is the difference... If some members on Panel this Doctor Rebutts have a Vested Interest in E-cigarettes? Is it not also a proen fact that 100% of the Thai Cigarette Industry (Big Business, Thai Tobacco Industry)  has "Big" Ties to Thai Government, Hi-So's,? By making it offical to use in Thailand you would be taking money out of all these peoples pockets?

To say E-cigarettes are addictive? and bann them because of this fact? Cigarettes are also much more addictive but they are not Banned!!! Why? Oh because you would be taking an income source whether it be offically or by Bown Envelope method from Hi-So Thais!  This is a fact!!

You can Bet every dime in Government Couffer's that if just one Senator, Congressman/woman or even the P.M had any Vested interests here... The banning of this product would have never reached the table... This is also a Fact!

Another fact that even if it is ever proven Offically that E-cigarettes were in fact addictive or harmfull as their coharts Cigarettes are... It is a fact that there is no secondhand addiction!! This is a fact! Also I beg to differ again as any e-cigarette users getting Cancer from them? Flat... NO!!

Leading doctor lol.... More cures than a magician that never materialised..

Bottom line is the regime is making big coin on cigarettes lol

This leading clown is better suited convincing Prayut his done a great job. All these people are corrupt even the doctors.

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

The problem with thai society is that when a so called educated idiot speaks, other fools are not expected or allowed to question their knowledge. The burning question is simple, if e cigarettes are dangerous and deserved to be banned for the health of the people then why do they sanction the sale of cigarettes and other more dangerous pollutants and toxic substances. The answer of course is hypocrisy and tax.

There all crooks simple. 50% of there vehicles on the road are poisoning people and nothing is done. These people if educated should be ashamed. This is a bullshit story from a cheap quack 

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Of course it does. Investors would want as many people as possible to smoke, doesn't mean that they have to be smokers themselves. You mightn't touch an Apple product, but you'd want millions of others to buy wouldn't you?

Neither of those situations would necessarily make anyone pro-smoking or pro-Apple.

20 minutes ago, Araiwa said:

I quit smoking about 4 years ago with the help of e-cigarettes. It worked for me. I am still vaping though and I enjoy it. Well, I am just a simple engineer and not an enlightened and super educated doctor like these 2 gentlemen cited in the report. One thing is for sure: my last health check 4 months ago showed that I am in much better shape than 10 years ago when I was still on cancer sticks. My doctor in Germany told me that it was the right decision to start vaping and stop smoking. If these 2 so-called doctors and self-proclaimed experts on e-cigarettes would do their job and read some research papers about vaping before they even open their mouths then they should know that vaping is far more safer than smoking the stinkies. On the one side these 2 quacks argue that vaping might be 95% safer than smoking is nonsense because a lot more research has to be done. On the other hand they cite cancer and heart disease as a consequence if you use e-cigarettes. How can they be so sure when -according to them- there is still a lot of research to be done? And now I am even outlawed in Thailand only because I vape. I can end up in jail because of a device and some liquid which helped me to improve my health. This is so ridiculous. And so obvious. I bet my house that these quacks and many of the idiot 'lawmakers' get paid by the tobacco industry. If they really do care about the health of their people than why do they not outlaw smoking, alcohol, pesticides, and other harmful substances? Follow the money and you know why they are bullshitting people. 

They are not well developed people and nothing will ever change 

13 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

It is a fact that there is no secondhand addiction!! This is a fact! Also I beg to differ again as any e-cigarette users getting Cancer from them? Flat... NO!!

There is no secondhand addiction from normal cigarettes either!  That is also a fact!

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Why not ban all cigarettes,if you take that position,one maybe as bad

as the other,so why is one OK, while the other is banned,might have

something to do with taxes ?

regards Worgeordie

If the guy has any intention to be recognized as a serious doctor, he should have commented on ice cream that can cure any disease. But it looks like he is more a kind of brown noser for the tobacco monopoly.

Well, despite taxes I believe that e-cigs are -at least- same worse as real cigs. I smoked many years, so 5 years ago I thought that vapoing might would be a bit healthier & changed from cigs to e-cigs... but made the terrible experience that this stuff made me coughing a lot & very bad feeling in my throught after might only 2 weeks. Some friends made similar experiences...

Just saying.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

and said that nicotine levels were much higher for vapers

so much for his credibility; each has a broad range of nicotine and other factors such as nicotine absorption really provide the best answer; (nicotine smoke from trad cigs are much smaller than the ecig version and thus can travel more freely in the lungs)

see here:

http://www.electroniccigaretteconsumerreviews.com/how-much-nicotine-is-in-one-cigarette/

beware of people like this with one line answers in the vein of: 'i dont have any substantiating facts, Just Trust Me'

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Why not ban all cigarettes,if you take that position,one maybe as bad

as the other,so why is one OK, while the other is banned,might have

something to do with taxes ?

regards Worgeordie

On the flip side, un-ban and heavily tax the e-cigarette trade as well. Sounds more profitable - health costs aside.

Who has ever said that vaping doesn't lead to addiction? Nobody on earth ever. So I guess that's a great point to argue against, one that nobody is making. 

ALL the scientific evidence shows that vaping is much safer than smoking, with cancer risk being around 1% of that from smoking. 

To ban it because it's not found to be 100% harm free is infuriating. 

This is one of the most annoyingly corrupt laws in this country. The most bald faced disregard for the science and the health of the people to protect corporate interests. 

How about making sure nicotine-gum is dirt-cheap, so people will quit that way then?  Last time I checked, it was many times more expensive than cigarettes for the same nicotine dosage - almost like they didn't want people to actually quit cigarettes.

eCigs are not "equally unsafe" by any stretch of the imagination.  No study to-date has shown they cause "cancer" for instance (or COPD).  As to heart-disease - if you already have a heart-condition, both Nicotine and Caffeine are not recommended - but we don't ban coffee for everyone.

18 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

so much for his credibility; each has a broad range of nicotine and other factors such as nicotine absorption really provide the best answer; (nicotine smoke from trad cigs are much smaller than the ecig version and thus can travel more freely in the lungs)

Anyone who has smoked e-Cigs for awhile, then gone back to cigarettes (when e-cigs were unavailable), can attest that the nicotine dose of a regular-cig is much, much higher.  And my experience was using 24mg eCig juice, back when I lived in Cambodia (when they banned eCigs). 

After finding a new source for juice, I worked my way down from 24mg to 18mg, 12, 6, 3, then quit.  The highest level I've seen being sold in markets in Thailand is 6mg, and usually 3mg. 

This guy is full of BS.

I do have actual documented proof that e-cigs not only do no harm, but more specifically reversed my lung damage from 40 years of smoking. The proof is my actual medical records at St Louis Hospital in BKK. My doctor was astonished to see my chest x-ray revealed clear lungs after 5 years of vaping. Previous x-ray shows my lung damage just before quitting smoking. He guessed that somehow introducing water vapor into my lungs has actually cleaned and removed the tar buildup smoking caused before. He said he has never seen anything like it before. 

This test was done in 2017.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Do you have any justification for your claim/question?

He is a Thai and probably from the upper echelons of Thai society plus his lips are moving so a fair assumption he is a bit dim or spouting porkies.....

Archived