BANGKOK 24 February 2019 05:01
webfact

E-cigarettes - Thailand ban is "appropriate" says leading doctor

On 1/10/2018 at 1:20 PM, toughlove said:

Ok so you told us how amazing you are but what has that to do with the millions dying globally due to the countless number of associated diseases and their complications due to smoking?

You have to realise that those 'millions dying globally' from smoking are just theoretical numbers that are spat out of a computer model. They bear little relationship to reality. The computer model, called SAMMEC was designed by the anti-smoking industry (for industry it is, with huge amounts of money involved), and then the model is fed with data by that same anti-smoking industry (do I detect the potential for bias there?). Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO) as they say in computing. It takes no account of age (if you were a smoker and died at 95, you are another number added to the 'smoking related deaths' toll), nor any confounding factors, i.e. if you have a family history of heart disease, and you are a smoker who dies of a heart attack, it's classed as 'smoking related', whether smoking had anything to do with it or not. The numbers of 'smoking related' deaths are massively (and I do mean massively) exaggerated, and deliberately so. They've widened the net by attributing just about every disease known to man to smoking. They haven't got to ingrown toenails yet, but I'm sure they're working on it. We are also told that countless thousands die from exposure to 'second-hand' smoke, but there aren't actually any dead bodies. Use the power of the internet and try to find one, just ONE case in the world where a death has been shown to have been caused by exposure to 'second-hand' smoke. You will find nothing. Nada. Because it hasn't actually killed anyone, except in the fevered imaginations of the rabid anti-smoking lobby.

The anti-smoking industry is built on lies and deceit, and nothing they say can be trusted. You just have to look at their press releases screaming about the dangers of smoking; full of weasel words like 'could', 'may', 'might', 'it is thought', 'research suggests', 'is associated with', 'studies indicate' etc etc. Even the phrase 'smoking related disease' is designed to be a catch-all to boost the numbers. Far more non-smokers die of 'smoking-related disease' than smokers do, but you'll never read about that. And all those press releases invariably conclude with 'more research is needed', which is anti-smokerspeak for 'we want more funding so we can keep this gravy train rolling'.

I have seen so many examples of egregious interpretation of research emanating from the anti-tobacco industry that I don't believe anything they say any more. They twist and distort everything to support their agenda. Their credo is 'the ends justify the means'. And the anti-alcohol lobby is currently adopting and adapting the anti-smoking template for its own use, so successful has the misleading propaganda been. Expect disgusting pictures of diseased livers etc to appear on your beer bottles in the not too distant future. Welcome to the new age of puritanism, where the self-appointed 'experts' decide what is good for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a mountain of quite convincing evidence.  Some tests carried out are irrefutable.

Second-hand tobacco smoke exposure has immediate and substantial effects on blood and blood vessels in a way that increases the risk of a heart attack, particularly in people already at risk. Exposure to tobacco smoke for 30 minutes significantly reduces coronary flow velocity reserve in healthy nonsmokers. Second-hand smoke is also associated with impaired vasodilation among adult nonsmokers.[115] Second-hand smoke exposure also affects platelet function, vascular endothelium, and myocardial exercise tolerance at levels commonly found in the workplace.[116]

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking#Risk_level

This is just one reference but there are a million more.  It can't all be hogwash.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, ezflip said:

Obviously sponsored by Thailand Tobacco Company.

Do you know who own the biggest share in the Thailand tobacco company? Just make a research and you all will get the answer, that’s the reason and making tons of tons money!

How as a doctor can he hold his head up in the medical world or is he just a doctor of BullSh>>?

Ever notice how the Thai government comes up with a policy or law and then have to trot out some fool to justify it 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, mommysboy said:

I have just accepted I can't vape and likely never will in Thailand.  It's complete madness but there you go.

There's no need to accept that at all, there's an online store in Thailand where you can buy all the associated devices and liquids.

On 1/13/2018 at 4:51 PM, nisakiman said:

You see this is a classic example of how they work. They tell you that exposure to SHS "... has immediate and substantial effects on blood and blood vessels in a way that increases the risk of a heart attack, particularly in people already at risk ". Which is probably true. However, what they don't mention is that eating a meal has exactly the same effect on your heart and vascular system.

Sometimes I run up the stairs in the house, occasionally both floors one after the other. I'm sure that changes my blood pressure and heart rate as well and a lot more than an E-Cig but I don't stop exercising or move to a single storey house due to this.

The sad thing is people tend to believe everything these idiot Doctors tell them.

I was once sitting in a bar listening to some guy telling me how bad cigarettes are and explaining how they killed his wife. She had smoked about ten a day for a short amount of time (months) decades before and he 100% believed that it was those cigarettes from half a lifetime previously that killed her because they told him so.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, mommysboy said:

I have just accepted I can't vape and likely never will in Thailand.  It's complete madness but there you go.

It's as illegal as corruption and prostitution or driving without a helmet...

You can buy them everywhere at night anyway...