E-cigarettes - Thailand ban is "appropriate" says leading doctor

webfact

What's the latest news on vaping and e-cigarettes in Thailand?

Is the excise department going to introduce a tax?

Has the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre finished it's assessment on whether vaping could be legalised again?

Anyone know?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Has the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre finished it's assessment on whether vaping could be legalised again?

Anyone know?

Nothing new.

But more and more pissed off japanese, koreans and chinese because they now rip them off even more heavily like here: https://yindeed.asia/japanese-arrested-iqos-bkk.

I follow japanese and korean expat stuff a bit as i do business there... they hate itttttt.

They rip them off even more it seems when caught, the guy in the link had to pay 20 000 THB for example....for an IQOS, which is essentially a CIGARETTE. with normal tobacco - the only difference is that it only heats the tobacco and doesn't burn it. It's just all a big facepalm...

The reason why IQOS is banned is prolly because Philip Morris who produces it sued Thailand at the WTO and won the case: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30358753

Tripadvisor and co are also full of more and more reports of people getting ripped off, especially in Phuket and Pattaya: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k11213098-o220-My_recent_experience_of_using_e_cigarettes_in_Thailand-Thailand.html

Stay safeeee.... i don't think the situation will get better anytime soon.

6 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Anyone know?

I recall reading an article late last year where the Thai Revenue folks said ok, they were going to add e-cigs/vape to the import tax schedule, which is the only reason why it's "illegal".  Or so they say.  The government is using that as a crutch.  Not sure where it's at now.

The real reason is they, the Thai Gov, want to keep it repressed because kids are going to vaping.  They blame the fruity/candy flavors as targeting kids, getting them addicted to Nicotine.  Same campaign going on in the USA.

The painfully obvious fact is vaping is all over Thailand.  They are wasting their time with the "War of Drugs" tactic, because that doesn't work.  Obviously.

Put it on the tax schedule.  Control and regulate it same as cigarettes.  If kids wind up vaping Zero % bubble gum juice, because it tastes good and is faddish and popular, at least they aren't sucking on cigarettes, like we did when I was a kid.   That's a win in my book.   They'll grow out of it eventually.  Even if they don't, at least they aren't smoking f***ing cigarettes. What's so hard about this equation.  The Army is soooo farkin' stupid. 

It's an interesting fact that of all countries in the world, only one actually bans the sale and use of ALL tobacco related products , and that is Bhutan.  In June 2010, the country implemented one of the world’s strictest anti-tobacco legislations by forbidding the sale or smuggling of tobacco into Bhutan. Those found guilty of the offense serve can serve a prison term of three to five years with no chance of being granted bail.

Now, if Thailand were truly serious about the health concerns of E-Cigarettes, they would do the same.  The fact that they have not is clear indication there are profit motives at work, and nothing more.  Very corrupt in my opinion, and to be one of the unfortunate people who actually gets arrested and punished for using an E-Cigarette, that's got to be such an unfair slap in the face!

Archived