Patong nightlife operators fear ‘return of bribes’

webfact

Patong nightlife operators fear ‘return of bribes’

The Phuket News

1515485981_1-org.jpg

Signs promoting alcohol hang above tourists on bustling Soi Sea Dragon, off Bangla Rd in Patong. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: The President of the Patong Entertainment Association (PEBA) has voiced his concern that nightlife operators will again be called on to pay bribes in order to take advantage of late trading, while supporting a call for venues operating in dedicated zones to be exempt from punishment under the alcohol-promotion laws.

As recently as November, PEBA members, which represent about 400 entertainment venues in Patong, filed another petition calling for Bangkok officials to make late-trading legal.

The request is a way to end the ongoing “pay for play” racketeering by officials who collect bribes from venues in order to stay open late, Mr Weerawit repeated.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-nightlife-operators-fear-return-of-bribes-65472.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-09

Sorry. It is hard to even relate to this tale or the current woes. From my point of view, Patong is a boil on the face of Thailand. I am not being judgmental about the "industry", nor about bars or clubs. But, that place is a blight. From the 200 baht plus drinks, to the 1500 baht bar fines, to the 4,000 baht, and up, short time women, it is all a case of something spinning wildly out of control.

This poster will not miss Patong, when it finally disappears into oblivion, and feels no sympathy for it's current plight.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry. It is hard to even relate to this tale or the current woes. From my point of view, Patong is a boil on the face of Thailand. I am not being judgmental about the "industry", nor about bars or clubs. But, that place is a blight. From the 200 baht plus drinks, to the 1500 baht bar fines, to the 4,000 baht, and up, short time women, it is all a case of something spinning wildly out of control.

This poster will not miss Patong, when it finally disappears into oblivion, and feels no sympathy for it's current plight.

I knew we were missing one of these posts! :post-4641-1156694572:

Archived