Video: Dead on her birthday - 20 year old uni student dies on way home

webfact

Video: Dead on her birthday - 20 year old uni student dies on way home

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A 20 year old university student died on her way home to celebrate her birthday.

Footage showed Thidarat Phungern on a Honda motorcycle collide with a kerb and fall under the wheels of a bus at an intersection in Ayuthaya on Saturday.

Her 24 year old brother Suphachai arrived at the scene in tears. He told reporters that his sister was a first year technology student at Ratchamongkhol Suwannaphum University.

She had just been to do some work to make ends meet and was going home to celebrate her birthday with her family.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-10

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I learnt when I learnt to ride and drive was to never go up the inside, i.e. the left, especially on a bike, its all to a common event here in Thailand.

As fr stopping to render assistance, well that's just common decency isn't it.

Really sad to see that no one stopped to render any assistance, with no education, these human cows as I refer to them, with continue to eat grass.

RIP

47 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

And not one single person stopped to help or see if she was ok.  Just look and drive on.  Freaking pathetic! 

RIP to this lady, such a waste of a young life.

My brother-in-law spent many years in Germany in the 70's & 80's in the British Army. Way back then he said that if one saw a terrible accident on the autobahn (his officer boss owned a Ford GT40 at the time!), one would probably drive on by. I think there were implications if one stopped to help, and was found to have made the victims condition worse. (Our German friends might corect me on this?!).

We're back to a similar thing to the Thai people who "fled the scene" after an accident, for fear of being beaten to death by bystanders.

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

First thing I learnt when I learnt to ride and drive was to never go up the inside, i.e. the left, especially on a bike, its all to a common event here in Thailand.

Really sad to see that no one stopped to render any assistance, with no education, these human cows as I refer to them, with continue to eat grass.

RIP

Unfortunately the ridiculously outdated laws and the insistence on the keep left policy for motorcycles (including fines for simply overtaking buses etc on the right) mean that this will not get any better in the near term. RIP.

8 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

RIP to this lady, such a waste of a young life.

My brother-in-law spent many years in Germany in the 70's & 80's in the British Army. Way back then he said that if one saw a terrible accident on the autobahn (his officer boss owned a Ford GT40 at the time!), one would probably drive on by. I think there were implications if one stopped to help, and was found to have made the victims condition worse. (Our German friends might corect me on this?!).

We're back to a similar thing to the Thai people who "fled the scene" after an accident, for fear of being beaten to death by bystanders.

I am not sure where your buddy drew his conclusions from :smile:

in Germany actually the law is, you can get sued if you, either having been an eye witness or having been actively participating in the accident -  DON'T  pull over and offer your help!

In order to obtain a driver's license every student has to pass a first-aid test. So everybody knows the basics incorporated in the assistance of a victim of a crash. If you see the victim is bleeding and you see a safe way to stop the bleeding, you are supposed to assist and do so!

and regardless if your help only consists of making sure the spot is secured well so other vehicles cannot crash into the site of the accident, that's just okay and an accepted way to obey the law

Over the recent years the offence has somewhat been watered down, as the law in it's great majesty forbids you to stop for just watching & gawking . . . . . our society has changed a bit

Just last week a motorbike came roaring up the inside of me , there had been some wind so had blown soil across the hard shoulder (sometimes extra lane) the bike went butt over tit with 3 people on it and narrowly missed my wheels ! Did I stop ? No chance somehow I’d of ended up paying for it . Sounds mean but stay well out of the way 

59 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

RIP

Lovely to see the concern of the motor bike taxi number 6, must have been on his way to a job !

59 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

RIP

Ironic that you talk about decency while calling Thais human cows... and just because a very short video shows a motorcyclist not stopping doesn't mean she didn't get assistance. 

7 minutes ago, samsensam said:

crikey! there's someone lying obviously injured at the side of the road and no one does anything! a very sad indictment on society here.

Agree.  Where are the kind caring Buddhists?  Society seems to be rapidly going down hill here.  

4 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Ironic that you talk about decency while calling Thais human cows... and just because a very short video shows a motorcyclist not stopping doesn't mean she didn't get assistance. 

Nothing ironic and indecent about labelling Thai's "human cows", they calls us Qai's all the time, perhaps you should polish up on your Thai, and your observations.

I saw no assistance, perhaps you have the same vision as Superman ?

1 hour ago, GBW said:

Lovely to see the concern of the motor bike taxi number 6, must have been on his way to a job !

Just maybe he went to follow the bus to get the license plate?

I have seen that done before.

Tragic accident but why did she drive straight into a kerb ?  If you look at the video she was speeding straight into it , another rider who can not use their eyes. An accident that should have never happened if she focused on the road.  . 

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

RIP

It's called undertaking for a very good reason!

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I agree 1 video does Not show all Thais.

I have been saved 3 times by Thais (accidents all My fault) I have a lot to thank them for.

Hard to watch that. Unfortunately, I have seen too many similar real-life incidents and videos over the years, that's why I gave up riding on major roads in Bangkok. It just takes one slip/wobble or (more worrying and likely) for someone else to momentarily lose concentration and you are history. I just ride on the relatively safety of back roads near my house these days. 

Archived