Forget snow in Thailand - but you might need to worry about a tsunami, expert

webfact

Forget snow in Thailand - but you might need to worry about a tsunami, expert

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai disaster expert has scoffed at suggestions that Thailand is about to experience snow but has warned about the possibility of a massive ocean tsunami.

Dr Samith Thammasarot of the Disaster Mitigation department was asked to comment by Daily News after ice appeared on the top of Thai mountains and there were social media reports of snow in Burma.

Netizens conjectured that it was only a matter of time before Thailand was snowed under.

Samith explained about the atmospheric and temperature conditions required for snow. Though it would be cool enough on mountains there was insufficient water in the atmosphere. Snow was thus very unlikely.

Thais would just have to make do with the prospect of selfies with mountain ice.

A much greater worry, said the expert were volcanic eruptions and shifts in the tectonic plates in countries in the region.

He said that the volcano in Bali threatening to blow its lid could have an impact on Thailand but the biggest threat was an earthquake in India's Nicobar Islands.

This could produce a massive Indian ocean tsunami that would swamp Thailand within an hour, he said.

He urged people to keep abreast of news reports of an earthquake in the Nicobar Islands, and to immediately seek high ground if there was one.

The Boxing Day Asian tsunami of 2004 killed around a quarter of a million people including many thousands in the south of Thailand.

Picture: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-10

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, during the reign of Rama I, a fortune teller made a couple of bold predictions.
1.  The Chakra dynasty would only last for 10 generations.  We're on #10 now.
2.  The ocean would rise up and swallow Siam where BKK now sits.   That one would be interesting, to say the least, as it could also bring the first one to fruition as well.  

No worries about  tsunamis if you live in the North,

but we have had earthquakes,I did not know they

made a noise,but a few years ago we had quite a

bad one,at first i did not realise what was happening,

it sounded just like a jetliner trying to land on the roof.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, smedly said:

a tsunami in the gulf of Thailand would be catastrophic 

take a long hard look at what happened in Japan not so long ago, the multiple video shooting of the event as it unfolded live was mind blowing 

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Snow was thus very unlikely.

I'm fairly sure a this guy would also say heavy rains in January is also very unlikely. Belted down this morning. Even some thunder and lightning....in January. Cold and wet at the end of December. Wet season weather beginning of Dec. Summer in mid Dec. Please, oh please you climate change skeptics tell me and every Thai I've asked who have never experienced this, that it's not climate change.

In 1987, eminent British meteorologist Michael Fish assured the people of Great Britain that rumours that a hurricane was about to hit the country were completely unfounded.

Just a few hours following that fateful broadcast in the early hours of October 16, 1987, the south coast of England was battered by the greatest storm witnessed in nearly three centuries. Gales reaching 115mph caused utter devastation across the southern half of the country, leaving 18 people dead, 15 million trees flattened, and a repair bill totalling £2bn.

So...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqs1YXfdtGE

take a long hard look at what happened in Japan not so long ago, the multiple video shooting of the event as it unfolded live was mind blowing 

How would a tsunami form in Gulf of Thailand? There are no major fault lines. Furthermore the gulf is quite shallow, so there is not a lot of water to create a large tsunami, even if a large meteorite would hit to the middle of the gulf.

Sorry smedly, It would have to get over a substantial stretch of Myanmar and come through Bangkok and Southern Thailand. Only then could it ever reach the gulf of Thailand. Pattaya, Rayong etc would only get water flooding from inland and that would have to be one massive body of water to make it that far..

Tsunami.PNG.5f60fb81fefc51193328f84377d5f3fc.PNG

I've been to the North North at New Year, they don't need to worry about snow, they have more ski jackets, pants and gloves than you will find in the winter sales, they are well prepared. Swimming lessons, well that's another completely different matter :sleep:

7 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

At exactly the same time when the tsunami hit the coasts of Thailand, it was felt in CM.  If I remember rightly it was 8.30 a.m.  Obviously nothing serious.

8 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

At exactly the same time when the tsunami hit the coasts of Thailand, it was felt in CM.  If I remember rightly it was 8.30 a.m.  Obviously nothing serious.

Tsunami speed is about 300m/s, which earthquake speed is about 6000m/s for P-waves and 3500m/s for S-waves.

Distance from Banda Aceh to Phuket is about 500km and to Chiang Mai about 1500km.

4 hours ago, Paul Collins said:

Thais can't drive in perfect weather conditions, what the hell would they be like in the snow?

I literally was talking to my gf about this yesterday. I said to her that by ratio Thais have the most dangerous roads in the world as of 2017. Imagine if the Thais had to drive in conditions as many of us have back home such as black ice and snow etc. It would put those Russian dash-cam videos to shame 

2 hours ago, asiamaster said:

oh really, you do realise that a tsunami can travel for thousands of miles shifting a huge massive surge of water, you think that if it entered the Gulf of Thailand it would suddenly just stop.............I think not 

Archived