BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Forget snow in Thailand - but you might need to worry about a tsunami, expert

2 hours ago, smedly said:

a tsunami in the gulf of Thailand would be catastrophic 

take a long hard look at what happened in Japan not so long ago, the multiple video shooting of the event as it unfolded live was mind blowing 

How would a tsunami form in Gulf of Thailand? There are no major fault lines. Furthermore the gulf is quite shallow, so there is not a lot of water to create a large tsunami, even if a large meteorite would hit to the middle of the gulf.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

a tsunami in the gulf of Thailand would be catastrophic 

take a long hard look at what happened in Japan not so long ago, the multiple video shooting of the event as it unfolded live was mind blowing 

Sorry smedly, It would have to get over a substantial stretch of Myanmar and come through Bangkok and Southern Thailand. Only then could it ever reach the gulf of Thailand. Pattaya, Rayong etc would only get water flooding from inland and that would have to be one massive body of water to make it that far..

Tsunami.PNG.5f60fb81fefc51193328f84377d5f3fc.PNG

I've been to the North North at New Year, they don't need to worry about snow, they have more ski jackets, pants and gloves than you will find in the winter sales, they are well prepared. Swimming lessons, well that's another completely different matter :sleep:

7 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

At exactly the same time when the tsunami hit the coasts of Thailand, it was felt in CM.  If I remember rightly it was 8.30 a.m.  Obviously nothing serious.

3 hours ago, Paul Collins said:

Thais can't drive in perfect weather conditions, what the hell would they be like in the snow?

They will wait until snow melts, and use speed boats....:sleepy:

8 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

At exactly the same time when the tsunami hit the coasts of Thailand, it was felt in CM.  If I remember rightly it was 8.30 a.m.  Obviously nothing serious.

Tsunami speed is about 300m/s, which earthquake speed is about 6000m/s for P-waves and 3500m/s for S-waves.

Distance from Banda Aceh to Phuket is about 500km and to Chiang Mai about 1500km.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Netizens conjectured that it was only a matter of time before Thailand was snowed under.

It already is snowed under............

Image result for plastic refuse in thailand images

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Though it would be cool enough on mountains there was insufficient water in the atmosphere.

Insufficient water in the atmosphere? You should pop your head outside your air con office!!

4 hours ago, Paul Collins said:

Thais can't drive in perfect weather conditions, what the hell would they be like in the snow?

I literally was talking to my gf about this yesterday. I said to her that by ratio Thais have the most dangerous roads in the world as of 2017. Imagine if the Thais had to drive in conditions as many of us have back home such as black ice and snow etc. It would put those Russian dash-cam videos to shame 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Oh boy, can it swamp whole Thailand within an hour? Also BKK or how far landinwards?

Just call Trump, he will clear the swamp.

2 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

oh really, you do realise that a tsunami can travel for thousands of miles shifting a huge massive surge of water, you think that if it entered the Gulf of Thailand it would suddenly just stop.............I think not 

Tsunami? No worry at all if you have an expensive amulet.

2 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Another Thai expert..

They are the real disaster next to fortune tellers, amulet selling monks and generals impersonating politicians

2 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Another Thai expert..

...who’s unintended prediction, by example, relates to the efficacy of the education system.