Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Forget snow in Thailand - but you might need to worry about a tsunami, expert


webfact

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A bit of rain. Happens all the time. Absolutely correct. Every year there is flooding in BKK in January. :clap2:

Bangkok wasn't flooded by yesterday's rain, a few sois had a few centimetres for a short period, that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Bangkok wasn't flooded by yesterday's rain, a few sois had a few centimetres for a short period, that's all.

 

Troops direct traffic after heavy rain and floods in Bangkok

 

Army battalions in Bangkok dispatched troops to help direct traffic at several spots after the capital was hit by heavy rain, resulting in flooding on many roads.


 

At the Nimitmai Intersection in Min Buri district, the water was about 20 centimetres high and troops from the Ninth Infantry Division were dispatched to direct traffic.

 

Troops were dispatched from the First Army Division’s First Infantry Battalion to help motorists at On Soi Phaholyothin 8 in Phayathai district, which was also flooded.

 

nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

 

Troops direct traffic after heavy rain and floods in Bangkok

 

Army battalions in Bangkok dispatched troops to help direct traffic at several spots after the capital was hit by heavy rain, resulting in flooding on many roads.


 

At the Nimitmai Intersection in Min Buri district, the water was about 20 centimetres high and troops from the Ninth Infantry Division were dispatched to direct traffic.

 

Troops were dispatched from the First Army Division’s First Infantry Battalion to help motorists at On Soi Phaholyothin 8 in Phayathai district, which was also flooded.

 

nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand

Thanks for confirming that what I said was correct.  Bangkok was not flooded, a few sois were for a short period of time and one had 20cms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks for confirming that what I said was correct.  Bangkok was not flooded, a few sois were for a short period of time and one had 20cms.

:whistling: Property or tourism......

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Another Thai expert..

Yep...a new one everyday...we just got rid of that "magic ice-cream looney"....and 2 days later another "expert" with predictions turns up.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks for confirming that what I said was correct.  Bangkok was not flooded, a few sois were for a short period of time and one had 20cms.

Heavy rain, Klong Chan flats, flooded parking lot. More than 100 vehicles were damaged and overflowing with traffic lanes 

          . Past As a result, many roads have been flooded and flooded, including the Klongjan Flats, Bangkapi Floods, more than 50 centimeters above the floodwaters, causing more than 100 vehicles to drown. Because the flood is very high.

hilight.kapook.com/view/166417

 

Just Weird is just weird

03_1.jpg

car4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

If there were a tsunami triggered by an earth quake or volcano that headed for the mouth of the Gulf and hit it square on it would get amplified as it headed for Bangkok, even only a few meters at the mouth of the gulf but due to the funnel shape of the gulf could easily be many times that by the time it hit Pattaya and Hua Hin and even worse by the time it hit Bangkok 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, smedly said:

a tsunami in the gulf of Thailand would be catastrophic 

 

take a long hard look at what happened in Japan not so long ago, the multiple video shooting of the event as it unfolded live was mind blowing 

Only a meteor strike could trigger a tsunami in The Gulf of Thailand, and it would have to be so massive, due to water depth in the local body of water, that the tsunami would be a smaller part of the disaster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, smedly said:

oh really, you do realise that a tsunami can travel for thousands of miles shifting a huge massive surge of water, you think that if it entered the Gulf of Thailand it would suddenly just stop.............I think not 

The Gulf of Thailand is protected from these far traveling tsunamis by several natural breakwaters, like the Philippines and other island chains between the Gulf and the great deeps of the Pacific and Antarctica. Tsunamis that could reach so far into the Gulf as Bangkok would have to cross unhindered over the Philippines and Indonesia. Borneo is a major obstacle in this direction...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Judging by what I have seen Thais do in the UK when we have a bit of snow they have fun and play in it for hours so if it arrives it will be fun for awhile and many will enjoy it. Much better than the kids playing with cardboard cut outs that's for sure.

My daughter lives near Montpellier SW France, where snow is a rare occurrance. I rmember her telling me many years ago that a sudden snowfall caused havoc in the area. This was because young drivers with 10 years experience hadn't seen or dealt with snow before. Apparently the local Carrefour car park resembled a 'demolition derby', and the chaos took hours to clear up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Basil B said:

If there were a tsunami triggered by an earth quake or volcano that headed for the mouth of the Gulf and hit it square on it would get amplified as it headed for Bangkok, even only a few meters at the mouth of the gulf but due to the funnel shape of the gulf could easily be many times that by the time it hit Pattaya and Hua Hin and even worse by the time it hit Bangkok 

 

Incorrect. The Tsunami would have to hit from the south-east in that case. So it would have to be triggered in Borneo and there is no volcanic activity there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Impossible. Even if a tsunami would be triggered in along the Philippines  fault line it would only hit  the southernmost part of Thailand. Take a long hard look at a map...

Huh?  I think smedley was using that as an example of the damage a tsunsami could cause NOT that a tsunami in Japan was going to affect Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 5:05 AM, worgeordie said:

No worries about  tsunamis if you live in the North,

but we have had earthquakes,I did not know they

made a noise,but a few years ago we had quite a

bad one,at first i did not realise what was happening,

it sounded just like a jetliner trying to land on the roof.

 

regards worgeordie

On Christmas Day in CM the year after the tsunami, there was a quake.  If I remember rightly it was 5.4.  My bed is one of those enormous Thai beds.  It is so heavy that I can't even lift the mattress to make the bed.  Well that bed moved!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

On Christmas Day in CM the year after the tsunami, there was a quake.  If I remember rightly it was 5.4.  My bed is one of those enormous Thai beds.  It is so heavy that I can't even lift the mattress to make the bed.  Well that bed moved!!!

"Well that bed moved!!!"

 

Wow - who was the lucky girl/s? :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

thais know nothing regarding Geography .....it never is taught in schools....so I have been told

Maybe but they know about plate tectonics, which is taught together with pole dancing, because the two subjects are closely related...

Link to post
Share on other sites

A tsunami in the gulf is virtually impossible.  The fault lines are so far away that by the time it reached the gulf it would be no more than a ripple.  

There is a tsunami warning tower in Hua Hin which is ridiculous.  A few years ago the local population was warned to move out of HH due to a tsunami approaching.  The warnings were given over the TV and radio and broadcast in the schools.  It turned out that a (respected) monk had had a dream!!

Very easy to make Thais believe anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Tell that to The Nation

 

You think that The Nation was reporting that Bangkok was flooded?  Really?  A few sois were flooded, that does not mean that Bangkok was flooded as some posters are trying to assert.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...