Lesson number One - this is the brake...

webfact

Lesson number One - this is the brake...

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Loei woman got confused about the brake and the accelerator in her brand new Honda jazz.

Saithong Khamphrom, 33, was parking at a gas station.

She pressed the wrong pedal and mounted the footpath before plowing into a boutique through the front window scattering clothes and mannequins. 

Feeling a bit like one of the dummies she had knocked over, Saithong said she was just dropping in to get a few bits.

Customer Phairat Sihuatone, 47, was in the shop at the time - he said he had a lucky escape just jumping clear in time.

Staff at the 71 X-Pro said they were waiting for the manager to arrive before the damage could be financially assessed.

A Thai Rath reporter just happened to be filling up at the PTT station on the Loei to Chiang Khan road in Muang district when the accident occurred.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-10

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

I think that's why most Thais prefer automatics,

3 pedals are just too confusing

regards worgeordie

I had my wife take driving lessons for 6 flippin' WEEKS in a manual shift car.

17 years later she still can't work a clutch.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

yup another 500 baht driverslicense.....well done Thailand. 

I feel cheated. My wife paid 600 for hers! (TRUE!) She was knocking down obstacles left & right. 

My fault though. I had her take it in a stick shift vehicle.

=================

A friend in Kuwait took his wife to get her license there. The evaluator was reaching for the door handle to get in for her driving test, and she drove off and left him standing there, so it's not just Thailand.

BTW, she eventually passed that day.

38 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I feel cheated. My wife paid 600 for hers! (TRUE!) She was knocking down obstacles left & right. 

My fault though. I had her take it in a stick shift vehicle.

=================

A friend in Kuwait took his wife to get her license there. The evaluator was reaching for the door handle to get in for her driving test, and she drove off and left him standing there, so it's not just Thailand.

BTW, she eventually passed that day.

I guess that in Thailand nobody ever failed the driving exam, if they even have any at all.

My grandma failed 7 times in row for the exam in Holland, after that she stopped trying to get it. It costed her a small fortune though.

Driverlicense or not, the Thai all seem to know the unwritten rule that a motocy driver is less than a rat, they all will avoid soidogs but motobike drivers they even don't see it seems.

This week my wife has to go to work by taxi cause another driver hit the back of her car which is in repair now. She has to pay the taxi herself, his insurance won't cover a replacement car/transport.

Thailand is soo far behind the developed world. And my wife doesn't even dare to ask for a replacementcar or refund for the taxi. Well i just hope they fix it well, it's a nice new car and she's very carefull with it.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think that's why most Thais prefer automatics,

3 pedals are just too confusing

regards worgeordie

The problem with only two pedals is it encourages people into left foot braking, something you can't really do if you have to operate a clutch pedal.

54 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

The problem with only two pedals is it encourages people into left foot braking, something you can't really do if you have to operate a clutch pedal.

You should never, ever use the left foot to brake in an automatic...........unless you are being sarcastic, in which case I apologise....:whistling:

What about this then.  Just a couple of days ago a chap  up here told me he was looking to buy a second hand Sus. Swift . There was no spare wheel  , he asked why and was told it was an automatic.  SO !   " Will your wife drive it ? "    Yes he replied.

" Then she won't be strong enough to change a wheel "

Is there a hint of Thai logic in there somewhere ?

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

You should never, ever use the left foot to brake in an automatic...........unless you are being sarcastic, in which case I apologise....:whistling:

I was being sarcastic.......and I have personally never owned an automatic car in my life, I just don't like them. But I have been told that some people in Thailand are taught to use both feet when driving an auto car. Two pedals, two feet, it just makes sense to them.

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

This is the result of driving license available for purchase.

Explain how a driving licence is generally available for anyone to purchase.  If it were true, which it isn't, how come LTD offices are overflowing every day with people taking their driving tests?

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

one day we will see learner driver cars in thailand. one day 555

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean there aren't any.. There are plenty of driving schools in Thailand, if there weren't customers (pupils) there wouldn't be any schools.

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Explain how a driving licence is generally available for anyone to purchase.  If it were true, which it isn't, how come LTD offices are overflowing every day with people taking their driving tests?

Because they are all waiting for their second or third attempt, or in the queue to pay the tea money.

My ex-Thai GF (I paid) did 10 lessons with a driving School based in Theprasit Road, Jomtien. Starting with driving round the car park at the Indoor Stadium and ending with her driving on the highway to Rayong and back - she then sat the written test and driving test but failed on hitting a cone when reversing and had to go back to re-sit the next day.
Passed with flying colours 2nd time.
Got the license and then had to take to the streets surrounded by red assed Baboons from places like Looie and Korat who just get in a car and drive off to cause mayhem and carnage.............

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

The wifes friend took 6 tests and could not pass so she

ended up paying for one, that was Mae Hong Son,it used

to be common for people to buy their licenses,but i suppose

the bigger offices have clamped down now.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I was being sarcastic.......and I have personally never owned an automatic car in my life, I just don't like them. But I have been told that some people in Thailand are taught to use both feet when driving an auto car. Two pedals, two feet, it just makes sense to them.

Yes it does ,,,, Some Racing car drivers  are Left foot breakers,,,,,,,But they Can Drive,,,,,   (:

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

My wife failed the hell out of her driving test. 600 baht later she had a license.

It may be different now, but that's how it was in Surin, in 2001.

Archived