Red flags on Cha-am beach

webfact

Red flags on Cha-am beach

By Thai PBS

Cha-am.jpg

Tiny red flags have been planted along the Cha-am beach to warn tourists of the danger of swimming in the sea due to rough sea and strong wind.

The Cha-am beach in Petchaburi province has become almost deserted since after New Year, with only a small number of foreign tourists strolling on the beach on Wednesday.

Rubbish, especially plastic bags, were seen scattering on the beach after being washed ashore by strong wind and high waves.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/red-flags-cha-beach/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-11

41 minutes ago, johnny49r said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

Rubbish, especially plastic bags, were seen scattering on the beach after being washed ashore by strong wind and high waves.

Why does the author think this is unusual? Trash everywhere is the rule, not the exception.

Yes, it's from the thai fishing boats. They treat the sea like their own personal garage dump. 

19 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Phew! What a relief! I thought for a minute the Commies had landed!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... They have landed, in droves. They clog the airports every day with huge tour groups.

Thankfully they haven't swarmed Chaam yet. Only a matter of time I suppose.

As for trash on the beach, I think chaam beach is relatively clean compared to more popular tourist destinations. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder who the trash droppers on the tourist beaches really are. I fervently hope chaam never becomes popular!

Also, I've only been here a year, but never see jellies in the water like Huahin has. Water seems pretty clean on beaches. Not crystal clear but not dirty either.

Almost total lack of people on the beaches except for the Thai weekend crowd from Bangkok. Thankfully falang goobers like me are also very scarce. Still seems like near - paradise to me.

I can't understand how the people here make a living with so little tourist income even in high season. Condos galore stand practically empty. Must be a tax thing for Thai investors.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:52 AM, RocketDog said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... They have landed, in droves. They clog the airports every day with huge tour groups.

Thankfully they haven't swarmed Chaam yet. Only a matter of time I suppose.

As for trash on the beach, I think chaam beach is relatively clean compared to more popular tourist destinations. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder who the trash droppers on the tourist beaches really are. I fervently hope chaam never becomes popular!

Also, I've only been here a year, but never see jellies in the water like Huahin has. Water seems pretty clean on beaches. Not crystal clear but not dirty either.

Almost total lack of people on the beaches except for the Thai weekend crowd from Bangkok. Thankfully falang goobers like me are also very scarce. Still seems like near - paradise to me.

I can't understand how the people here make a living with so little tourist income even in high season. Condos galore stand practically empty. Must be a tax thing for Thai investors.

I lived in Cha-am for 4+ years (but not there now) and seen plenty of jellyfishes in the sea, there is a particular time of the year that they are damn everywhere and I wouldn't even go in the water

slow season is slow for public businesses but they make a living from selling to Thai people

I rented a small "bachelor" for 3000 baht literally 30 meters from the beach for those years

but have you inquired prices on some of the little houses in the sois off Ruamjit?  those houses they TRY to rent them for 20,000 - 30,000+ baht per month and their reasoning behind it is that almost EVERY weekend they rent those small houses to the "rich" Thai kids coming from Bangkok at 3-4-5000+ baht per night (the kids show up 4-10 of them in one little house, lol) and they make an absolute killing out of that.

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

I lived in Cha-am for 4+ years (but not there now) and seen plenty of jellyfishes in the sea, there is a particular time of the year that they are damn everywhere and I wouldn't even go in the water

slow season is slow for public businesses but they make a living from selling to Thai people

I rented a small "bachelor" for 3000 baht literally 30 meters from the beach for those years

but have you inquired prices on some of the little houses in the sois off Ruamjit?  those houses they TRY to rent them for 20,000 - 30,000+ baht per month and their reasoning behind it is that almost EVERY weekend they rent those small houses to the "rich" Thai kids coming from Bangkok at 3-4-5000+ baht per night (the kids show up 4-10 of them in one little house, lol) and they make an absolute killing out of that.

Very interesting info. I have a relatively small rental house about 3 blocks from the beach, well isolated on dead-end road that sees essentially no traffic. I've come to realize I was pretty lucky to stumble across it. I pay 12,000/mo for four rooms 3 x 3m plus a bathroom. It's fully furnished as well. The Thai owner is adamant about only renting to falang. The house was empty for 5 months before I rented it.

I have become too lax about the jellies I guess and will be more careful now. What times are they a problem?

BTW, I was just in the Phuket Airport the other night and observed the landing of several Chinese armies complete with little flags, clogging all the airport doors.

I have never considered myself a bigot but maybe I should take another think on that. I have traveled enough in Asia to know that they are not generally welcome in many countries because of their careless and abusive attitudes.

No matter how liberal you may consider yourself I guess direct experience can be challenging!

about the Jellyfish, I seem to remember it's around September? I might be well off.

they are not technically dangerous but can make you itchy plus around that time water is dirty/cloudy enough that you can't see them very well and end up swinging your hands, feet or everything "into" them all the time, meh..

I reckon it's after when its around when it gets very windy and rainy, wild seas.. but to be honest I stopped paying attention to the beach after a year or so, living 30 meters from it I was almost every day on it (I have a dog) but I would very rarely go in the water anymore, it's just not that "special" after a few months there..

if I was there I could ask around but my friend would take days to reply online, if ever (old lady)

Archived