Trump blasts immigration ruling, calls U.S. court system 'broken and unfair'

webfact

Trump blasts immigration ruling, calls U.S. court system 'broken and unfair'

By Richard Cowan and Mica Rosenberg

2018-01-10T040833Z_1_LYNXMPEE0905V_RTROPTP_3_USA-IMMIGRATION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Students gather in support of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) at the University of California Irvine Student Center in Irvine, California, U.S., October 11, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday blasted the federal court system as "broken and unfair" after a judge blocked his administration's move to end a programme protecting young immigrants brought to the United States illegally by their parents.

A U.S. District Court judge in San Francisco ruled late on Tuesday that Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, which Trump has said he will end, should remain in effect until legal challenges brought in multiple courts are resolved.

Under the administration's plan, the programme for young people commonly known as "Dreamers" would be phased out over a two-year period, beginning in March.

"It just shows everyone how broken and unfair our Court System is when the opposing side in a case (such as DACA) ... almost always wins before being reversed by higher courts," the Republican president wrote on Twitter.

The Justice Department said in a statement it "looks forward to vindicating its position in further litigation."

But the administration did not immediately appeal the decision by U.S. District Judge William Alsup of the Northern District of California. An appeal from that court would typically go to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Some legal experts predicted the Trump administration would be successful if it appealed the ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court. In December, the country's highest court granted an administration request to block an earlier Alsup order that called for the release of internal documents related to the government's DACA decision.

Several experts also said Tuesday's court ruling could complicate negotiations between congressional Democrats and Republicans trying to reach a deal to resolve the legal status of nearly 700,000 young immigrants covered by the programme, which allows them to live and work in the United States.

"The ruling could deflate the pressure on Congress to act in the next week and in our view there remains just as much urgency as ever for a lasting fix," said Michael Tan from the American Civil Liberties Union. Dreamers "don’t need a protracted legal battle," he added.

At a White House meeting on Tuesday before the court ruling, Trump urged lawmakers to quickly reach a bipartisan DACA deal before moving on to even tougher negotiations on a comprehensive immigration bill.

'URGENCY'

Democratic Senate leader Chuck Schumer also urged a quick legislative solution. The talks on DACA have become embroiled in negotiations on funding for the federal government, which expires on Jan. 19.

"The ruling last night in no way diminishes the urgency of solving the DACA issue," Schumer said on the Senate floor. "On this, we agree with the White House."

John Cornyn, the Senate's No. 2 Republican, condemned the ruling, but said it would not affect congressional negotiations.

"We're reading the court's opinion. It strikes me as wildly wrong," Cornyn told reporters. "If President Obama can create the Deferred Action programme, then certainly President Trump can uncreate it.”

Cornyn said various attempts in the past few months to strike a deal "were basically getting nowhere." Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, disputed that assessment as he emerged from talks on Wednesday and said Jan. 19 was still the goal for a deal so it could be attached to the spending bill.

At a White House news conference, Trump said: "I really believe they are going to come up with a solution." But he repeated his demand that any deal include funding for a border wall with Mexico, which Democrats have resisted.

Trump, in office nearly a year, has a history of attacking courts that rule against him.

After his first version of a travel ban affecting several Muslim-majority countries was blocked, he called it a "ridiculous" decision by a "so-called judge." During his presidential campaign, he attacked the integrity of a Mexican-American judge presiding over a lawsuit involving Trump University.

Alsup said in his ruling the federal government did not have to process new applications from people who had never before received protection under the DACA programme. But he ordered the government to continue processing renewal applications from people who had previously been covered.

A majority of those protected under DACA are from Mexico and Central America and have spent most of their lives in the United States, attending school and participating in society.

Trump put their fate in doubt in early September when he said he was ending the DACA programme created by former Democratic President Barack Obama and that it was up to Congress to come up with a solution.

In his ruling, Alsup quoted previous tweets by the president in support of Dreamers. "In September," Alsup wrote, "President Trump stated his support for DACA, tweeting: 'Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!'"

(Additional reporting by Blake Brittain, Yeganeh Torbati and Susan Cornwell in Washington; Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by Frances Kerry and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-11

As cited by the Court, Trump currently defeated by his own tweet...

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....

3:28 AM - 14 Sep 2017

•  

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

As cited by the Court, Trump currently defeated by his own tweet...

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....

3:28 AM - 14 Sep 2017

•  

I most certainly do. They are criminals according to the Federal Immigration codes in place for 30 years. No exceptions! A crime is a crime!

"It just shows everyone how broken and unfair our Court System is when the opposing side in a case (such as DACA) ... almost always wins before being reversed by higher courts," the Republican president wrote on Twitter.

The dement LOTUS (Liar Of The.... ) has already forgotten the Arpaio case. Arpaio should have been sentenced for ~6 years in jail. But in the "new fair law system" - created by the LOTUS - this former criminal Rep Sheriff of Arizona has been pardoned by Trump. Now Arpaio would like to be elected as the new A. Senator.

It seems that you must have a copmpletely reprieved character to get a job in the hierarchy of the Republicans.

1 hour ago, jackh said:

I most certainly do. They are criminals according to the Federal Immigration codes in place for 30 years. No exceptions! A crime is a crime!

Society circumstance change, which can lead to prior Law being an ass, as it is in current context. Pray tell who will replace the skills of 700,000 'Dreamers' and at what cost / lost opportunity to the US economy.

6 hours ago, saakura said:

Congratulations to all the illegal migrants, live your American dream. Sorry for all the folks in the visa Q 

You mean like a few hundred years ago when Europeans came onto American shores? I'm sure they were invited in, NOT!

A lot of bickering but the solution is simple. Compromise, give Trump his funding for the wall and increased border security and congress/senate/Trump will pass a bill to make the

dreamers legal. Legal experts are in general agreement that the Obama DACA plan was actually illegal anyway. Here is a chance to move the immigration/work visa debate and plan forward.  Compromise. Trump already has on this issue. Many Republicans do not want

a second amnesty afterRegans 1st amnesty. He says he will take the heat. He needs the wall to survive the heat. The price of the second amnesty for  Democrats is funding of the wall.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Society circumstance change, which can lead to prior Law being an ass, as it is in current context. Pray tell who will replace the skills of 700,000 'Dreamers' and at what cost / lost opportunity to the US economy.

Further to my post above, Just came across the following...

Studies by economists across the ideological spectrum have also determined that if Congress fails to act our economy could lose $US215 billion in GDP.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/over-100-business-leaders-warn-congress-fix-daca-january-19-or-else-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

56 minutes ago, the guest said:

You mean like a few hundred years ago when Europeans came onto American shores? I'm sure they were invited in, NOT!

Gee whiz - bet they didn't all have passports and visas either :whistling:

Things were a bit different then. 

43 minutes ago, Ulic said:

A lot of bickering but the solution is simple. Compromise, give Trump his funding for the

wall and increased border security and congress/senate/Trump will pass a bill to make the

dreamers legal. Legal experts are in general agreement that the Obama DACA plan was

actually illegal anyway. Here is a chance to move the immigration/work visa debate and

plan forward. Compromise. Trump already has on this issue. Many Republicans do not want

a second amnesty afterRegans 1st amnesty. He says he will take the heat. He needs the wall

to survive the heat. The price of the second amnesty for Democrats is funding of the wall.

Except that Trumps plan for the wall cuts other border controal spending that is far more effective in maintaining border security. He doesn't care about security; only about fulfilling that promise he made to his base.

3 hours ago, jackh said:

Not according to the PC Liberals. Crimes are only crimes if the law being broken is considered PC. They only believe in laws that support their views. Breaking of laws that don't is perfectly acceptable to them.

Let's clear up some History here-  Prior to 1924  America mostly had open borders- if you could get to America and didn't have a communicable disease you were let in. My Grandfather- a Danish citizen landed at Ellis Island NY and was let in after a health screening. He found work in Ohio as a labourer- learned English- and saved enough money to send for my grandmother and 1 child. She also landed at Ellis Island- with her son- neither could speak English and were processed immediately and released. Somehow, she made it to Ohio, had 2 more children (one of which was my mother)  learned English and worked her way up in the kitchen of a hospital and eventually became the Head Chef.

On my father's side there is a similar story but they came from Italy. All of America has similar stories if you look back far enough in history. Many Hispanics simply walked across the Southern border and took up residence even after the Mexican-American War.

America was built on Immigrants. According to some on this board my relatives were all criminals because they entered without any Visas and all the Immigrants who entered from Mexico are the same because they walked across the border.

In regards to the DACA situation- the majority of these cases involve children being brought into the country by their parents who did enter illegally- however , these children had no choice but to come. Today, they were educated in the US; some went to University or are in College and most cannot speak their native language.  Deporting these people would be immoral and against American traditions.

It is completely wrong for Donald Trump to hold these people as hostages in political gamesmanship in order to get a border wall which in itself is a complete waste of money. What America needs to do is legitimize all of the current illegals; enact a real Immigration law that provides for temporary worker status- which will obviate any need for illegal entry; stop chain migration as part of the new law; and change the law allowing citizenship to children born in America to illegals.

4 hours ago, jackh said:

Take care. Rutgers University and others have calculated that AT LEAST 70% of US citizens have committed an imprisonable offense.

Also, you are aware that federal law and prosecutors treat juveniles more compassionately than adults, right?

4 hours ago, jackh said:

And you, of course, are lily-white and have never done anything illegal in your life. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone ...

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Look to Australia for an example.  All the hardened criminals that did time for smoking a little pot will now be told that Australia is gearing up to become the biggest exporter of pot.:stoner:

16 minutes ago, car720 said:

Look to Australia for an example.  All the hardened criminals that did time for smoking a little pot will now be told that Australia is gearing up to become the biggest exporter of pot.:stoner:

Australia - the world's biggest pot exporter? Doubt it very much. Won't be Canada either although they have a huge head start over Australia by helping supply the gigantic market in California for decades already. Nope. It will be the USA, starting with California, which, if it was a country would have the world's 6 or 7th largest economy dwarfing both Canada and Australia.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The issue is about illegal immigration. Are you a supporter of illegal immigrants being allowed to stay as long as they didn't get caught whilst entering illegally?

Neither of us are Americans, and so we both speak as observers.

I observe this as another in a raft of policies and "executive actions" which by design and intention target groups within the USA based on their ethnic background. Illegal immigration is the excuse rather than the driver.

Why is Mr Trump doing this? I don't know, I suspect that he probably doesn't give a monkey's himself, but feels that he has to be seen to be doing something to appease the (rather depressingly, for me) large group within his power base for whom race and ethnicity matters.

But it's an observation, from afar.

And, as a postscript having read post #18, yes it is a liberal view. I'm proud to hold liberal views.

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Let's clear up some History here-  Prior to 1924  America mostly had open borders- if you could get to America and didn't have a communicable disease you were let in. My Grandfather- a Danish citizen landed at Ellis Island NY and was let in after a health screening. He found work in Ohio as a labourer- learned English- and saved enough money to send for my grandmother and 1 child. She also landed at Ellis Island- with her son- neither could speak English and were processed immediately and released. Somehow, she made it to Ohio, had 2 more children (one of which was my mother)  learned English and worked her way up in the kitchen of a hospital and eventually became the Head Chef.

On my father's side there is a similar story but they came from Italy. All of America has similar stories if you look back far enough in history. Many Hispanics simply walked across the Southern border and took up residence even after the Mexican-American War.

America was built on Immigrants. According to some on this board my relatives were all criminals because they entered without any Visas and all the Immigrants who entered from Mexico are the same because they walked across the border.

In regards to the DACA situation- the majority of these cases involve children being brought into the country by their parents who did enter illegally- however , these children had no choice but to come. Today, they were educated in the US; some went to University or are in College and most cannot speak their native language.  Deporting these people would be immoral and against American traditions.

It is completely wrong for Donald Trump to hold these people as hostages in political gamesmanship in order to get a border wall which in itself is a complete waste of money. What America needs to do is legitimize all of the current illegals; enact a real Immigration law that provides for temporary worker status- which will obviate any need for illegal entry; stop chain migration as part of the new law; and change the law allowing citizenship to children born in America to illegals.

A most reasonable response!!

Amnesty without proper reform was tried in the past, All the illegal aliens that became legal were quickly replaced by  more illegals. 

13 hours ago, car720 said:

Export of Medical marijuana

17 hours ago, mikebike said:

Australia - the world's biggest pot exporter? Doubt it very much. Won't be Canada either although they have a huge head start over Australia by helping supply the gigantic market in California for decades already. Nope. It will be the USA, starting with California, which, if it was a country would have the world's 6 or 7th largest economy dwarfing both Canada and Australia.

I went back in to see if I could find the article I read but no luck.

So I found another one.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/04/australia-aims-to-be-worlds-top-medicinal-cannabis-supplier-after-exports-get-green-light

Archived