What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

webfact

What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

1pm.jpg

video screenshot

The "Big Bike" being driven by the Russian that resulted in the death of three people earlier this week was not insured.

It was rented to 22 year old Alexandr Zakharov in Pattaya but the company had not extended the Por Ror Bor or third party accident insurance as required by the law.

Police said the Russian was at fault for driving negligently.

Each party in the accident has only received 5,000 baht.

Mr Zakharov and South Korean man Yongseok Choi, 20 who was crossing the road died at the scene of the crash. The Russian's Thai pillion passenger succumbed later in hospital. She was Netnapha Prawatdee, 22.

The victim's families each received checks for 5,000 baht yesterday from Saifon Nakphook of the Tourist Assistance Foundation.

Pol Capt Sombat Kaewmoonsuk handling the case at Pattaya police station said that the rental company had been fined for not having insurance on the bike. It was up to those concerned to take the matter further by pursuing the case in the courts with the company.

The Tourist Assistance Foundation are helping out with claims, said Komchadluek who commented on their story that is was a deplorable situation that tourists could rent bikes without the proper insurance cover.

Source:  Komchadluek

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-11

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes its unacceptable, but not being insured is not a police matter they can fine the guy, but the families need to go in civil court to claim damages. Its not much different in other parts of the world. At least not in my country, its not like the police is going to start a civil case for the victims. The police can only fine them for not having insurance (as has been done) and then its up to the families to do the rest. 

It sucks but its normal procedure, however i expect the guy to move all his possessions to someone else. It seems that all the crooks do that here once they get in trouble. 

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

the rental company had been fined for not having insurance on the bike.

The fine was probably less than they would pay for the full coverage on the premium.

They should be banned from trading for, say, three years.

If realistic punishments like the ban were enforced, it just might deter other companies doing the same.

the SHAMLESSNESS is unbelievable in this county....I was sure thailand would use this tradgedy to appear( at the least )as though it was serious about this type of road inncedent..SPEACHLESS IN THAILAND.

1 minute ago, toenail said:

Is this photo suppose to make the negligent driver look like a hero by donating 5000 baht? (I bet he spends more than that in one week on eating and drinking --and motorbike rental.)

The driver died at the scene.  Maybe the dead Thai woman's husband and child?

2 minutes ago, toenail said:

Is this photo suppose to make the negligent driver look like a hero by donating 5000 baht? (I bet he spends more than that in one week on eating and drinking --and motorbike rental.)

The negligent driver is dead, he didn't donate any money and he currently isn't spending any money, he died in the accident he caused.

32 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

The driver died at the scene.  Maybe the dead Thai woman's husband and child?

On the picture is the father of the driver.

13 minutes ago, d3viliz3d said:

Did anyone Google the name of the Thai girl? It should be well known to many since last year.

Still, RIP.

https://www.facebook.com/nessy.zcozo.5

1 minute ago, greatwhitenorth said:

yes it plainly states they get 5000 baht.  The families will be comforted by your show of empathy no doubt.

Non sequitur. Damages are recovered via civil law just as in most countries.

1 hour ago, toenail said:

I think you will the find that the money is being presented by the "Tourist Assistance Foundation".

I believe it is a fixed amount that is given to tourists to assist with immediate expenditure if they have suffered misfortune.

And not related to the nature of the misfortune.

Thus the headline is misleading as the payment is not for the purpose of "compensation".

1 hour ago, toenail said:

The driver died in the accident.

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

Surely any company renting out motor bikes should have a statutory duty to have full insurance cover as a prerequisite to functioning?  Where are the watchdogs to ensure this?  Asleep in their kennels.

Watchdogs?.....this is Thailand......life is cheap here,even cop killers roam free :whistling:

This means the victims relatives will have to go to the courts and sue the rental company plus the driver.

Rental company won't yield much though, since the required PoRoBor would only have yielded 30,000 Baht, so the only one they can collect from will be the driver. And with him dead it would be his estate, good luck collecting there.

2 hours ago, toenail said:

Try to read the article before you make senseless remarks. They didn't get the money from the driver.

Archived