What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

webfact

I wonder if its the Renting company on Soi 13/2 post office, they are the only one I've seen renting big bikes.

Renting a bike should have compulsory 1st class insurance, but you'll be lucky if you get the bog standard insurance which has minimal cover.

I have 1st class insurance definitely worth it for a few thousand baht

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes its unacceptable, but not being insured is not a police matter they can fine the guy, but the families need to go in civil court to claim damages. Its not much different in other parts of the world. At least not in my country, its not like the police is going to start a civil case for the victims. The police can only fine them for not having insurance (as has been done) and then its up to the families to do the rest.

Since about 20 years Germany has a fund all insurances pay in. In a case like this victims of an uninsured vehicle are fully compensated out of this fund. Then the fund tries to get back the money from the real culprit by civil case.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes its unacceptable, but not being insured is not a police matter they can fine the guy, but the families need to go in civil court to claim damages. Its not much different in other parts of the world. At least not in my country, its not like the police is going to start a civil case for the victims. The police can only fine them for not having insurance (as has been done) and then its up to the families to do the rest. 

It sucks but its normal procedure, however i expect the guy to move all his possessions to someone else. It seems that all the crooks do that here once they get in trouble. 

It may not be a police matter in Thailand but it should be. Its certainly a police matter in other countries

4 hours ago, robblok said:

It sucks but its normal procedure, however i expect the guy to move all his possessions to someone else. It seems that all the crooks do that here once they get in trouble. 

What is said here is correct and I agree with.   But what is not reported is how much the company was fined.

If it is just a similar amount as paid in compensation (i.e. around 5,000 or less than the cost of insurance) then the only incentive imposed on the company is the risk of loss of bike !

The incentive needs to be intimidating ! 

1 hour ago, rebo said:

Since about 20 years Germany has a fund all insurances pay in. In a case like this victims of an uninsured vehicle are fully compensated out of this fund. Then the fund tries to get back the money from the real culprit by civil case.

Not only Germany, the Netherlands has a similar fund  "waarborgfonds motorverkeer" its a good solution. 

Same goes in the first world usually. The driver/operator is at fault not the equipment provider. This isn't a Thai thing. The Thai thing is unpoliced roads. Where I am the fines for unlicensed, no helmet, very excessive speed would add to more than an average week's income plus future licensing restrictions. Chances of getting caught are high with radars cameras and police who bother. 

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Is this photo suppose to make the negligent driver look like a hero by donating 5000 baht? (I bet he spends more than that in one week on eating and drinking --and motorbike rental.)

Isn't the negligent motorcyclist dead?

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The negligent driver is dead, he didn't donate any money and he currently isn't spending any money, he died in the accident he caused.

He died at the scene of the accident where he ran over the Korean man who stepped off the kerb in front of him as he was travelling to fast to stop ..... 

Why is the police not able to check all those illegal motorbikes and cars rental that operates without any insurance? In case you ask those illegal rentals the confirm to have a proper insurance, for the tourist is not possible to check it out.

Of course the motorcycle rental  company doesn't have third party insurance. They don't think They need it. They would just hold the passport and charge the foreigner exorbitant fees if the bike were damaged or even scratched. Rarely would this type of accident happen to them. But if anyone wants to sue them, good

luck. This is Thailand. You can't get a baht from a Thai in court.

36 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

Wife’s Thai father killed in hit run...they got him drunk Thai driver...but no money just short jail sentence....crazy! 

Because it is a civil case. The family has to sue the culprit.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

...but the company had not extended the Por Ror Bor or third party accident insurance as required by the law.

which means the bike was not registered during the incident. Por Ror Bor or Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is, as the term implies, compulsory. the company simply had no option to NOT extend the insurance. one cannot renew a motor vehicle's registration without it. CTP costs less than 2 baht a day

3 minutes ago, peperobi said:

Why is the police not able to check all those illegal motorbikes and cars rental that operates without any insurance? In case you ask those illegal rentals the confirm to have a proper insurance, for the tourist is not possible to check it out.

Police don't really work in Thailand. There's no baht in it.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

In Thailand the penalties for not having licence or insurance are a joke ...

In the UK:

Penalties for uninsured drivers:
The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 (13,500B) and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive.

If the case goes to court you could get an unlimited fine & disqualified from driving
The police also have the power to seize and do any uninsured vehicles, and in some cases, destroy the vehicle.

(Driving without the right licence would invalidate any insurance so treated as not having insurance).

6 hours ago, robblok said:

good luck with that one going through the courts.

I lived in South Korea for many years. Koreans pedestrians will cross the road and specifically not make eye contact with drivers. They think this will make drivers stop for them. It's actually insanity as Korean drivers are only slightly less deadly then Thais.

Archived