What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

webfact

36 minutes ago, Morakot said:

That's exactly what I trying to point to. I couldn't imagine that people could just move their money around in the Netherlands or in Germany. The enforcement mechanism of civil courts would pounce on them.

Yes here its too easy to move your money around.. you see the PAD leaders, and PTP leaders that need to pay up.. they never seem to have the money anymore. If they can do it the normal people can do it too. Thaksin and his gardener did it.. just too easy and as long as you can move money like that around.. you can get out under your liability at any moment.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The fine was probably less than they would pay for the full coverage on the premium.

They should be banned from trading for, say, three years.

If realistic punishments like the ban were enforced, it just might deter other companies doing the same.

What punishments in Thailand are realistic.  Certainly never motoring ones. A few hundred baht is nothing to anyone these days. Make ALL motoring offences  carry a minimum 10,000baht fine...thats why Thailand has the No 1 accident/death award.

Situation like this is what frustrate us foreigners especially one's that live here?  It makes writing negatives or as some say bashing Thailand, so easy!

It is a nice gesture but don't they see the amount is so small it is a insult rather that a good heart gesture. With the amount of money this country is wasting you would think they can come up with at least 500,000 which is a drop in the bucket for a city like Pattaya which takes that in I'm sure in fines for 1/2 day.

Then you fine the shop which in turn if they even pay goes right back into the fund which just dispense the 15,000 baht.

I have never in my life seen a country come up with so many stupid suggestions and gesture one wonder why there is so much negative to write about regarding Thailand. The government seem to go out of their way to provide people to criticize them.

Based on the story, shop after shop most likely have failed. Sure now that there are some dead bodies I'm sure the next story is a crackdown on these shops for a good news story they are doing something for one day.  If the shop can afford to buy and rent these bike then there is enough money to basically go in close them up put the bike up for auction and the money goes to the family!  Reality check this isn't a democratic country, if you can illegally built a Walking st.. build a hotel... and a condo way over the height limit just go in guns blazing and get the damn money for the family!  Take the owner to the dolphin circle tie him up and chop his head off for full view to set a example.  Let's just get back to the basic!:sorry::stoner:

I wish officials stop doing or saying stupid things to make Thailand people look bad.

9 hours ago, mok199 said:

the SHAMLESSNESS is unbelievable in this county....I was sure thailand would use this tradgedy to appear( at the least )as though it was serious about this type of road inncedent..SPEACHLESS IN THAILAND.

the problem is that there isn't a functioning criminal justice system in thailand

IF they would have sent me the money for a death loved one in an accident due to not proper insurance in the amount of 5.000 bath i would have sent the money back directly. This is awful what a life is worth in this country. Killing a dog cost you much more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speechless!

28 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

the problem is that there isn't a functioning criminal justice system in thailand

that is one huge problem I agree ,but it is deeper than that...speaking from my own experiences the majority of thais refuse to ''take responsibility '' , acting child like ,using ''the old life crutch ''saving face' and or making merrit' or ''I thailand'' entitlement routine...all of which, if used cleverly absolves the user from any mistakes or wrong doing...and when backed into a corner and fearing loss of face ,they need only say ''PAI''...''PAI NOW'' and ignore you...my gal is the poster child for this behavior,doing it so well our issues somehow  become my fault egzample yes I lost the keys,but it is your fault for not having a spare set..the down side to this behaviour is, a person or society  will never grow spiritualy or mentally, because they always win and growth and awareness, comes mainly from mistakes ..AMUSING THAILAND

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Stop this nonsense 

It is the Russian there needs to pay but for sure going didn't had life insurance 

There is only one to blame for it and it is the Russian and his so-called big business father 

Pay up father for your son killing 2 people 

End of story.... 

I hope you are going to take the financial responsibility for when your son does something stupid when he is an adult.

His father is not responsible for what has happened.

end of story

When you arrive in Bangkok and hire a car at the airport that car comes with full comprehensive and third party insurance. That bike should come with exactly the same insurance but I would bet that the guy that hires out these bikes will not payout the money for the insurance premiums so I say he is the one that is responsible for all the expenses for the Thai girl and the Korean for not having the insurance cover that he should have had. The Russian guy should have had his own insurance that covered riding motorbikes. To those who say the Russians father should pay for everything, I say to you, I hope you are going to pay for everything when your child makes a stupid mistake and kills people when he is an adult. The Russian was an adult and you cannot hold his father responsible.

2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Stop this nonsense 

It is the Russian there needs to pay but for sure going didn't had life insurance 

There is only one to blame for it and it is the Russian and his so-called big business father 

Pay up father for your son killing 2 people 

End of story.... 

You don't think bikes that are being rented all over town should have insurance? Interesting!

In US the rider or driver who caused an accident resulting in deaths or insuries would certainly be sued for damages, I don't but think it worls that way in, say, Western Europe.

Rrider is dead, and you would sue his family, somehow? In what country do you file the suit? Thailand? Russia? 

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

I hope you are going to take the financial responsibility for when your son does something stupid when he is an adult.

His father is not responsible for what has happened.

end of story

My son raised to follow the rules and yes we have  full insurance not like meny others the never thinking about travel or life insurance and think everything is fine but when something happens speak why government not help me

Wake up insurance are something everybody needs to have 

The bikes should be impounded and the rental companies will have to pay a large fine to get them back if they are not insured, that's an easy way to sort it out. In Thailand people get fined by the police for no insurance +/or helmets but then they just ride off. Things should be tightened up.

If the rider not drunk and had  accident resulting in 3 deaths the bike company should cover the costs ...if drunk all insurance is void anyway....but the bike should of been insured and minimum is 50,000baht per life on normal insurance I believe 5,000 for a life is a insult for sure ....RIP

18 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

I think that in all countries that the above posters come from and my own, that recourse is only through civil courts. 

The Russian is lucky he is dead. Only his estate can be sued but the bike rental shop will likely have to declare bankruptcy to get out of his liability.

This is so far from what will happen.

The Russian's assets are located in Russia so the estate will pay nothing.

The civil court in Thailand moves so slow it is beyond belief and although the bike company may be responsible for not having insurance in place they were not part of the accident.

Families will give up as they want closure.

Then and I might be wrong on this but some years back when I read my bike insurance maximum cover was 100k baht.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, toenail said:

Is this photo suppose to make the negligent driver look like a hero by donating 5000 baht? (I bet he spends more than that in one week on eating and drinking --and motorbike rental.)

Did you happen to even read the article?

"The victim's families each received checks for 5,000 baht yesterday from Saifon Nakphook of the Tourist Assistance Foundation."

Again, may all of the dead rest in peace. 

10 hours ago, sithai64 said:

If the rider not drunk and had  accident resulting in 3 deaths the bike company should cover the costs ...if drunk all insurance is void anyway....but the bike should of been insured and minimum is 50,000baht per life on normal insurance I believe 5,000 for a life is a insult for sure ....RIP

The donation came from a private tourist support group, likely with a minimum of funds available. Their donations to the bereaved families were out of kindness, goodness of their hearts not mandatory in any way. I am curious how much did YOU donate to the families?

5 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

What an INSULT...
Is there NO decency in this country or what?!

The victim's families each received checks for 5,000 baht yesterday from Saifon Nakphook of the Tourist Assistance Foundation. 

not an insult at all. The donation to the bereaved families was quite charitable. I am curious how much did you donate? 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:50 AM, robblok said:

Yes its unacceptable, but not being insured is not a police matter they can fine the guy, but the families need to go in civil court to claim damages. Its not much different in other parts of the world. At least not in my country, its not like the police is going to start a civil case for the victims. The police can only fine them for not having insurance (as has been done) and then its up to the families to do the rest. 

It sucks but its normal procedure, however i expect the guy to move all his possessions to someone else. It seems that all the crooks do that here once they get in trouble. 

I work in 3d/4th world countries in Africa, they wouldn't have gotten anything, even if the Insurance was valid - they would have been told, the 'Driver has to sign and he is dead so "Nothing we can do"  or somthing to that effect.  The Agent and the police would be sharing the payments.

It sucks, but the families can sue the estate of the Russian man, they need an International Lawyer, he may have had Life Insurance they can collect from.  RIP to his passenger, 22 YO, too young to die.

10 hours ago, malcoml said:

This is so far from what will happen.

The Russian's assets are located in Russia so the estate will pay nothing.

The civil court in Thailand moves so slow it is beyond belief and although the bike company may be responsible for not having insurance in place they were not part of the accident.

Families will give up as they want closure.

Then and I might be wrong on this but some years back when I read my bike insurance maximum cover was 100k baht.

In many states in the USA such court cases can be drawn out for up to 5 to 10 years before any award is adjudicated 

I also rent a motorbike, the company I rent from provides mandatory insurance as well as additional coverage for ฿200 a month. But I am still not comfortable so I also purchased my own max coverage for ฿2000 a year. 

On 1/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, yankee99 said:

It may not be a police matter in Thailand but it should be. Its certainly a police matter in other countries

As I understand it is a violation of law here also. Which does make it a police matter. I know in the US it is also law, however good luck trying to collect, which is why most states require insurance companies to provide un-insured motorist coverage. But still in this case would not help. 

Archived