What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I register my car and my bikes I must produce an insurance policy.

Isn't that insurance to cover anyone that I injure or kill?

Where is that insurance which would be paid for by the rental company when they register that bike?

Was that bike registered?

That insurance is mandatory with the registration of any vehicles registration.

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

When I register my car and my bikes I must produce an insurance policy.

Isn't that insurance to cover anyone that I injure or kill?

Where is that insurance which would be paid for by the rental company when they register that bike?

Was that bike registered?

That insurance is mandatory with the registration of any vehicles registration.

Yes, also in Thailand, and when the vehicle is one year old, you're going to pay road tax for the next and have a new registration slip on the vehicle, and to get that, you also need to show the mandatory third party insurance, covering up to 50,000 baht per person, for that coming year, you bay the insurance year-by-year. However, the news article stated that the renting company had no insurance on the motorbike, and therefore also cannot have renewed registration for another year, and paid tax.

On 1/11/2018 at 2:51 AM, Daveyh said:

This happens all too frequently here. Sadly, the insurance cover for most vehicles does not even cover the cost of medical bills for serious accidents. This government third party lark is outrageous & it's imperative that you have private insurance here. You can get first class for a car, but insuring a motorcycle is different & you can only get third party cover. The third party cover for motorcycles in most cases is a max of 50,000 Thai baht each for rider & passenger for medical treatment, if no third party is involved. For a serious accident involving your motorcycle resulting in death the max is 500,000 Thai baht or 10,000,000 Thai Baht cover per occurrence & 1,000,000 Thai baht for any property damage. There is a bail bond too, which is 300,000 Thai baht to keep you out of jail. In the event of an accident you must contact your insurance immediately, who you should have a direct link 24/7 with in the case of an emergency. This will certainly keep you out of jail, unless of course you've committed a criminal act. Just hand over all negotiations to them when they arrive & do not admit or say anything to the police without a lawyer present. Your insurance firm should provide you with a lawyer if you request it. Good insurance whilst driving here is a must, relax & let the insurance company do the talking as there are no misunderstandings from the outset ............ you'll be glad you have good insurance if ever a problem arises, as money is number one here & you are a foreigner. If you don't have it you're gonna get hung out to dry trying to resolve matters even if the accident is not your fault  ..... fact! Don't risk it folks ok?  

I have only ever had 1st class for my bikes.. Big bikes and scooters.

Kurt

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, also in Thailand, and when the vehicle is one year old, you're going to pay road tax for the next and have a new registration slip on the vehicle, and to get that, you also need to show the mandatory third party insurance, covering up to 50,000 baht per person, for that coming year, you bay the insurance year-by-year. However, the news article stated that the renting company had no insurance on the motorbike, and therefore also cannot have renewed registration for another year, and paid tax.

That is exactly my point, because the rental company had not renewed their mandatory third party insurance how did they re-register the bikes? Are all their bikes unregistered and uninsured? That rental company is responsible to meet those cost to those families of the Thai girl and the Korean man. If they do not or cannot pay up then the company owners should be sent to jail and their property confiscated and sold and the money given to those 2 families. 

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Why did the father of the driver get anything at all?  

RIP to the other two victims of the Russian driver.

Because is is the closest relative to one of the victims in the crash.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:54 AM, 007cableguy said:

Will anything ever change in this country?.....zero value on life here or accountability for people's actions!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not in yours or my lifetime that is for sure, some of us left and will never return for this very reason, accountability for people's actions no just blame others and farangs it much easier that standing up and being a man.

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

That is exactly my point, because the rental company had not renewed their mandatory third party insurance how did they re-register the bikes? Are all their bikes unregistered and uninsured? That rental company is responsible to meet those cost to those families of the Thai girl and the Korean man. If they do not or cannot pay up then the company owners should be sent to jail and their property confiscated and sold and the money given to those 2 families. 

The bikes still have the number plate, but the sticker – which shall be visible on the bike – with year and month for paid tax (and insurance) had not been renewed. It's not unusual that Thais drive on a motorbike without paid tax (and insurance), but should of course not be the case with a rental bike.

However, the story don't say anything about the rental company, apart from insurance (and tax) had not been renewed. A foreigner may not know what to look afor (the sticker) when renting a bike, and anyone can put a bike outside with a sign "For Rent".

Furthermore, if the renter and driver of the bike, don't have a legal license for motorbike, a travel insurance may not cover; and some travel insurances don't cover riding a motorbike, valid river's license or not.

56 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The bikes still have the number plate, but the sticker – which shall be visible on the bike – with year and month for paid tax (and insurance) had not been renewed. It's not unusual that Thais drive on a motorbike without paid tax (and insurance), but should of course not be the case with a rental bike.

However, the story don't say anything about the rental company, apart from insurance (and tax) had not been renewed. A foreigner may not know what to look afor (the sticker) when renting a bike, and anyone can put a bike outside with a sign "For Rent".

Furthermore, if the renter and driver of the bike, don't have a legal license for motorbike, a travel insurance may not cover; and some travel insurances don't cover riding a motorbike, valid river's license or not.

If the insurance and tax have not been paid by the rental company then the bike is unregistered and then the financial responsibility falls on the bike rental company and it is responsible to pay both the Thai girl and the Korean family the compensation that is owed to them. I think the police fined the rental company for not paying the tax and the insurance and if the families could get a copy of the infringement then they would stand a good chance even here in Thailand of being able to lodge a claim through the courts for compensation against the rental company. Being an unlicensed rider does not remove the third party cover of any insurance which is the mandatory insurance connected to the tax (registration) on the vehicle. The rider is the only person that is not covered by any of the insurance issues, the pillion rider and the pedestrian are covered by the third party insurance which is the renters responsibility to have not the bike rider. The family of the Thai girl and the Korean need to go and hire a good lawyer and lodge a claim through the court against the rental company

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

If the insurance and tax have not been paid by the rental company then the bike is unregistered and then the financial responsibility falls on the bike rental company and it is responsible to pay both the Thai girl and the Korean family the compensation that is owed to them. I think the police fined the rental company for not paying the tax and the insurance and if the families could get a copy of the infringement then they would stand a good chance even here in Thailand of being able to lodge a claim through the courts for compensation against the rental company. Being an unlicensed rider does not remove the third party cover of any insurance which is the mandatory insurance connected to the tax (registration) on the vehicle. The rider is the only person that is not covered by any of the insurance issues, the pillion rider and the pedestrian are covered by the third party insurance which is the renters responsibility to have not the bike rider. The family of the Thai girl and the Korean need to go and hire a good lawyer and lodge a claim through the court against the rental company

I don't know if the mandatory third party insurance covers a driver without valid license, I was referring to the driver's travel insurance.

Compensation is a civil case, and the mandatory third party insurance covers 50,000 baht only per person.

I was involved in a case 2 years ago – close friends lost their 1½ year old son in a traffic accident – where a motorbike was without insurance cover and unpaid tax. Even the victim's family (my friends) did not request compensation – as the mum said, it would not bring her son back to life – the police still asked the motorbike driver to compensate with 50,000 baht to the victim's relatives, as that was the amount a mandatory insurance would have paid; the driver's family paid the compensation. The police said they would raise charges against the motorbike driver, but we had no interest in following the case, so I don't know the outcome.

However, police may act different where I live (Koh Samui), compared to how police act where the accident with the Russian driver happened (Pattaya).

Yes, the owner of the motorbike should be responsible for the mandatory compensation, i.e. 50,000 baht to each third party victim, whilst the estate of the deceased driver – if he is at fault, as stated – could be sued for further compensation. However, I'm not familiar enough with the mandatory Thai insurance to know, if a passenger (or pillion rider) on the motorbike, the girl in this case, is considered as third party.

Archived