Briton killed in Samui road accident, Russian in custody

webfact

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

As with any of these reports we read in the news in Thailand we should not be taking measurements as fact. 25 meters is a long way - but all a reporter needs is someone to say "Thats about 25 meters" for them to quote it and it becomes pseudo-fact in a long drawn out argumentative thread...  It could have been as little as 5 meters - we don't really know unless there was an official measurement. 

How many times do we read - "the Bike was thrown / dragged 100m" when a collision has been reported? do we really believe this and take it as fact?

I think we should apply a little cynicism to the measurements in these reports, especially given the highly emotive content reported. 

Yes, BUT even 5 meters would be a world record in throwing himself in a situation as described....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, evadgib said:
52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of people on this thread so far have blamed the Russian, but British Man may have been complicit in his own tragic demise. 

That is a long, fast & dark stretch of road with a kerb therefore the Brit would have been on the road when parking his bike.

IF the Briton was stood at the curb (Kerb) would his motorcycle not also have been impacted ?

Given that it is not reported that there was any impact with the parked motorcycle and that the damage to the car is in the centre it would appear that the Briton was actually in the road when he was hit. 

"The area was poorly lit". Seen it a thousand times. The jerk walking or jogging down a busy dimly lit road believing he has a magical force field around him. Usually wearing all dark colors and having no light or reflective gear. Who is at fault when you are dead is irrelevant. You must protect yourself. 

3 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

I really can t think of anything I like about Russians other than most of them are still in Russia.

If he was speeding and the old Brit was standing at the curb when hit, the Ruskie should spend a while as a guest of the Thai Government 

Atleast he did not do a runner.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the Briton was stood at the curb (Kerb) would his motorcycle not also have been impacted ?

No idea mate. I haven't been able to accurately form an opinion based on such shoddy reporting & didn't hear of this locally despite living within earshot. 

So much Russophobia and national hatred here guys! Is it even considered normal in your countries in the moral perspective? I am Russian, but I drive carefully and am not constantly drunk after dark. So do many of other Russians on Samui, too. Maybe you don't recognize their nationality if they are polite and sober? How do you feel when you are regarded with racism (I.e. by Thais sometimes)?

The man here stayed put and waited for the police to come. If he was drunk, the news would surely mention that.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No one suggested he 'threw himself'... its quite apparent that he was thrown by the impact of the car. 

RE - No one suggested he 'threw himself'

Yes it was (ref jspill post no 17) and my reply was to that post prior to Your post on my answer to him - not more complicated than that - its always an idea to know the full history prior to comment...;)

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As with any of these reports we read in the news in Thailand we should not be taking measurements as fact. 25 meters is a long way - but all a reporter needs is someone to say "Thats about 25 meters" for them to quote it and it becomes pseudo-fact in a long drawn out argumentative thread...  It could have been as little as 5 meters - we don't really know unless there was an official measurement. 

How many times do we read - "the Bike was thrown / dragged 100m" when a collision has been reported? do we really believe this and take it as fact?

I think we should apply a little cynicism to the measurements in these reports, especially given the highly emotive content reported. 

Additionally, the body could have been “carried” atop the car, before finally coming to rest some X meters away... vs bounced away due to impact forces.

whilst cctv may tell a story, it’s one I wouldn’t want to watch.

18 minutes ago, csabo said:

"The area was poorly lit". Seen it a thousand times. The jerk walking or jogging down a busy dimly lit road believing he has a magical force field around him. Usually wearing all dark colors and having no light or reflective gear. Who is at fault when you are dead is irrelevant. You must protect yourself. 

Even while driving , you can't cruise along in the dark as slow as you want

Unless you're driving a cement mixer or something massive someone will smash in to it

So much Russophobia and national hatred here guys! Is it even considered normal in your countries in the moral perspective? I am Russian, but I drive carefully and am not constantly drunk after dark. So do many of other Russians on Samui, too. Maybe you don't recognize their nationality if they are polite and sober? How do you feel when you are regarded with racism (I.e. by Thais sometimes)?

The man here stayed put and waited for the police to come. If he was drunk, the news would surely mention that.

No need to play the racist cards it's well known that Russians most are drunks. It's part of their culture to be drinking hard, I'm east Europe and I get it . But It's like saying it's unfair to call Indians cheap Charlie's.

In jomtien where I am many can not even manage the baht bus trip to Pattaya without nursing a big Chang at midday.

All speculation, but I would presume he parked his bike, and went to cross the road. He waited when he saw the car approach, but maybe with tinted windows, for sure bad lighting the car did not see him. Maybe traveling fast, maybe drunk, who knows.

But while driving a car it is always my fear that somebody stands at the side or on the road waiting to cross, and I hit them. I do know that many times I have been surprised by people standing in the middle waiting to further cross or walking on the side, and having to take last second evasive action because they can be nearly invisible.

Back a few years an old age pensioner was hit and killed by a speeding motorbike thai man riding the bike . this was outside a bar that held a quiz night in Banrak. to my knowledge the thia rider did not get a fine or sentence . i could be wrong but no word of was said after the tragedy   . 

34 minutes ago, ttrd said:
50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No one suggested he 'threw himself'... its quite apparent that he was thrown by the impact of the car. 

RE - No one suggested he 'threw himself'

Yes it was (ref jspill post no 17) and my reply was to that post prior to Your post on my answer to him - not more complicated than that - its always an idea to know the full history prior to comment...;)

I think you've made a mistake:  No one has mentioned that the Brit thew himself.

As you can see in the quotes below, it is only you who in Post #23 suggested that the Brit has thrown himself 25 meters (spider man style). 

Post #17

1 hour ago, jspill said:
1 hour ago, Cranky said:

No evidence whatsoever to say the Boris was drunk or speeding.  Cars are designed to dent easily.  Who's to know if the Brit was hammered and stumbled in to the path of the car?  

The witness saw a speeding car and the Brit waiting to cross the road. 

Post #23

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

RE - Who's to know if the Brit was hammered and stumbled in to the path of the car?  

....and then throw himself 25 meters away.... the article's description of the victim doesnt fit With spiderman or his alike...

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Sad and fatal story.....But at 1am you should not ride a bike nor hanging around a beer bar. It's too dangerous on Thailand's roads. he paid a high price for his beer unfortunately. If it was the drivers's fault only...who knows.

One in the morning!  In a Bar! What a disgrace, should be home in bed by ten. Serves him right.

1 hour ago, lust said:

The photo is kind of strange. It appears the body is blurred beside the car, yet the car is in the middle of the road. I’m assuming the driver stopped his car in the middle of the road after striking the pedestrian. Unless someone moved the car parallel to the body to get a photo of it. 

I just don’t understand how he was hit if he was waiting to cross the road. 

No conspiracy theories. Just interesting.

If the body is thrown 25 meter, as a witness said, the speed of the car might have that high, that the car needs 25-30 meter to stop. I'm by the way familiar with the area, and it's signs says "30 km/hr. pedestrian zone"; however some of the street lamps are malfunctioning at the moment, as also stated in the news article that it dark (at night).

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you've made a mistake:  No one has mentioned that the Brit thew himself.

As you can see in the quotes below, it is only you who in Post #23 suggested that the Brit has thrown himself 25 meters (spider man style). 

Post #17

Post #23

RE - Who's to know if the Brit was hammered and stumbled in to the path of the car?  

Based on this assertion (something my reply did) he would need to throw himself a considerable distance (25m) which is far above human capacity regardless of age - hence my ref to spiderman and his alike...;)

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If the body is thrown 25 meter, as a witness said, the speed of the car might have that high, that the car need 25-30 meter to stop. I'm by the way familiar with the area, and it signed as "30 km/hr. pedestrian zone"; however some of the street lamps are malfunctioning at the moment, as also stated in the news article that it dark (at night).

If he was driving 50 km/hour, it would take 25+ meters to come to a complete stop.

What i dont get if the Brit was waiting to cross and struck at the side of the road why is the car dented in the middle. That would indicate the guy was already crossing the road or not waiting on the side. 

To me it looks more like the guy was already walking and then struck, could be he did not see the car coming maybe had a few to drink already. Could also be that the Russian was going real fast, but still the dent in the middle does not agree with the story. 

there is something about the picture that does not seem right.

The old man was 69 years of age and he has been hit in the centre of the car, the bonnet is dented and the windsceen is broken from the impact of the old mans head which would show that the driver was doing high speed, but the thing that does not appear right is that the impact was not a glancing impact so when the driver applies the brakes the old man would slide off the bonnet and landed on the road directly in front of the car. If it had been a glancing inpact then you would not have that straight line in the bonnet and the windscreen. That old mans body should have landed directly in front of the car and not where it is.

Whit à small dient Like THIS ther's no speding in THIS case. When YOU look where THE car is being hit , in THE midle,  1000%  for sure THE Brit was crossing THE Road..  Or THE car drove on THE sidewalk!!!  Think and look before YOU write something here.....  Don't take away à Life is being lost here for 2 people.

If THE car stopped after impact exactly where it is in THE  photo he was driving on THE wrong side of THE road.  Always in Thailand look left, look right, look left and right again, look up and down, look left......

2 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

Whit à small dient Like THIS ther's no speding in THIS case. When YOU look where THE car is being hit , in THE midle,  1000%  for sure THE Brit was crossing THE Road..  Or THE car drove on THE sidewalk!!!  Think and look before YOU write something here.....  Don't take away à Life is being lost here for 2 people.

Sorry but that car was being driven at an excessive speed in this case. To do the amount of damage to the bonnet and the windscreen of that car means that there has been considerable force at the time of contact. That damage would not occur if the driver was driving at the signed speed limit of 30kph. The driver was speeding.

Archived