Briton killed in Samui road accident, Russian in custody

webfact

2 hours ago, longtom said:

Kudos to the Russian for staying at the scene!

Remember the Brit last year who killed a Thai on a motorcycle, dragged him for a few hundred meters under his car and fled the scene because he 'did not realize anything happened'? emoji10.png

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That was a Thai in a ferrari.... He dragged a Thai policeman under his car most of the way home down sukumvit Rd 

But Thai police should know better than to stop speeding vehicles with their bodies.... 

Many times I have nearly run over them on my bike.... 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, sawadee1947 said:

Sad and fatal story.....But at 1am you should not ride a bike nor hanging around a beer bar. It's too dangerous on Thailand's roads.

I agree, and the old man was 69 years old. Whats wrong with just having a cup of tea at home and go to bed before midnight ?  

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

That was a Thai in a ferrari

No it wasn't , he is talking about a Brit that killed a Thai woman and fled the scene , not the Red boss son this time. 

Brits are just as bad as Russians. 

In 2011 the then-government announced the following ten years as Thailand's 'Decade of Action on Road Safety'. 

It declared 2012 as the year of 100 percent helmet use on motorbikes. 

In 2015 the Department of Disaster Prevention, which is tasked with road safety in addition to problems like floods and landslides, boldly announced a target of reducing road deaths by 80%. 

All in vain.

The challenge they face is not hard to see. Thailand's rapid development has bequeathed it an unrivalled network of 462,133 roads in the region, nearly all paved, with plenty of multi-lane highways. 

There are 37 million registered vehicles, 20 million of them motorbikes, and millions more that are unregistered. 

Driving on a Thai expressway is akin to playing a hyper-caffeinated video game. A cursory web search for road accident videos will throw up examples of breathtaking, sometimes suicidal, recklessness. Drunk driving is a huge problem.

And this is part of the reason for the incredible amount of road deaths here:

Police Sergeant-Major Kanthachat Nua-on can attest to that. 

At a speed trap he had set up on a stretch of elevated expressway outside Bangkok, he watched car after car pass him at speeds well in excess of the 80km/h (50 mph) limit. He did not bother to ticket them.

"If we strictly follow what the law says, and issue a ticket for people driving over the speed limit, then we will end up booking everyone."

It is called sloth. Incompetence. Indifference. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38660283

_93643953_carmageddon-1240111.jpg

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In 2011 the then-government announced the following ten years as Thailand's 'Decade of Action on Road Safety'. 

It declared 2012 as the year of 100 percent helmet use on motorbikes. 

In 2015 the Department of Disaster Prevention, which is tasked with road safety in addition to problems like floods and landslides, boldly announced a target of reducing road deaths by 80%. 

All in vain.

The challenge they face is not hard to see. Thailand's rapid development has bequeathed it an unrivalled network of 462,133 roads in the region, nearly all paved, with plenty of multi-lane highways. 

There are 37 million registered vehicles, 20 million of them motorbikes, and millions more that are unregistered. 

Driving on a Thai expressway is akin to playing a hyper-caffeinated video game. A cursory web search for road accident videos will throw up examples of breathtaking, sometimes suicidal, recklessness. Drunk driving is a huge problem.

And this is part of the reason for the incredible amount of road deaths here:

At a speed trap he had set up on a stretch of elevated expressway outside Bangkok, he watched car after car pass him at speeds well in excess of the 80km/h (50 mph) limit. He did not bother to ticket them.

"If we strictly follow what the law says, and issue a ticket for people driving over the speed limit, then we will end up booking everyone."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38660283

_93643953_carmageddon-1240111.jpg

Great Post, Excellent observations, and finally, someone with Facts, not speculations or just plain Thai Bashing.   (not all Thai drivers are stupid as some would claim)If I had a copy of the Video they made us watch in School during drivers education back home, I'd mail it to the PM - it should be standard viewing in every school across the country, quite gory, bloody, made people puke  but got the point across..............

14 hours ago, speedtripler said:

That was a Thai in a ferrari.... He dragged a Thai policeman under his car most of the way home down sukumvit Rd 

But Thai police should know better than to stop speeding vehicles with their bodies.... 

Many times I have nearly run over them on my bike.... 

Longtom was referring to an incident on same stretch of road on Samui last year.

Besides that, the Ferrari thingy was 2013.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, the authorities need to change the attitude of driver's behavior in traffic, and begin issuing speed fines – even it's for everybody – could be a start; or perhaps check if the 80km/h speed limit is correct at that particular place, or should be little higher for better traffic flow..?

Rules also needs to make sense, to be accepted and kept.

Specific for Samui a clean up in road signs is needed. I mentioned in an earlier post that there are numerous speed limit signs at the Maenam stretch of the main road, by locals known as the Ring Road. In general there's a 60km/h speed limit on the island, which is signed at the two car ferry harbors (might be other places also); but there are numerous local limits of 50km/h, 45km/h, 40km/h and the newer yellow pedestrian zone markers with 30km/h, and recently placed big temporary banners with 30km/h at places with many fatal or serious accidents. However, that many mixed signs with different speeds can be confusing.

At the stretch the Russian man was driving in direction from Bo Phuput towards Bang Por, crossing Maenam – and we don't know from the news story where he began driving, could be in Maenam, but presume he either drove though Maenam, or was familiar with that part of the Ring Road, if living in Maenam – he would see a mix of 40km/h and big 45km/h signs when passing school areas (there are three), and big end-markers of the 45km/h limit. The School signs are new; seem like someone decided to make very large signs, and extended road marks, and pedestrian zebra crossings, without checking that existing signs has other limits; i.e. 40 km/h. The last school with 45km/h before the spot of the accident in question, is actually inside a 30km/h pedestrian zone; which signs are repeated just after the place of the accident.

However, even the signs are confusing, and need a proper clean up, one should be aware that the area is not suited for fast driving or "speeding" – as it's reported in the news article to be said by the witness – that part of the Ring Road is also one of the few remaining parts with the old uneven cement paving, instead of even tarmac. The last unfortunately lead folks to drive faster than before the roads were upgraded.

Some Thai media stars that people look up to, could be banners for good driving, instead of the opposite, which unfortunately seem to be more like what hit the news...:whistling:

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

that part of the Ring Road is also one of the few remaining parts with the old uneven cement paving, instead of even tarmac.

The 3km-ish stretch between Honda Maenam and the gas station after the Lompriah entrance (used to be ESSO) would make a good film set for the Clangers! :sad:

ProbeLandingOnAsteriod2.jpg

23 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I said since when have they been able to confirm, perhaps you are willing to let other people tell you when it's safe to cross the road but I like to take a look and judge for myself.

you didn't say that at all, you made out that she knew what speed the car was going. She never said that, she just mentioned the car was speeding /going too fast. Grow up and accept what you said initially

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that's why it is called an urban myth.

Samui adopted the policy more than a decade ago and have kept a lid on anything since. A suitably worded FoI request submitted via the correct channels to (y)our own Govt(s) might reveal how many of (y)our fellow citizens died as a result of RTAs but I doubt if they'll be island specific. Interested parties could go a stage further by asking how many medically repatriated road accident victims died within ** days of returning home.

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

The 3km-ish stretch between Honda Maenam and the gas station after the Lompriah entrance (used to be ESSO) would make a good film set for the Clangers! :sad:

ProbeLandingOnAsteriod2.jpg

Had to Google first, to understand this very British statement – yes.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Bob12345 said:

Wow, guess the guy was driving somewhere around 600km/h to be able to accomplish that.

Interesting science. Fact: my sister was hit by a speeding police car, which was doing 100 km. at the time within city limits. She flew through the air for 30 meters, before slamming into a tree, thereby snapping her neck.

Speed and distance have been verified in the re-enactment.

14 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

you didn't say that at all, you made out that she knew what speed the car was going. She never said that, she just mentioned the car was speeding /going too fast. Grow up and accept what you said initially

I said confirm, that is what I said initially, you appear to have either missed that or fail to understand what it means. The simple fact is that nowhere does any court accept confirmation that a car was speeding from a witnesses supposition.

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I said confirm, that is what I said initially, you appear to have either missed that or fail to understand what it means. The simple fact is that nowhere does any court accept confirmation that a car was speeding from a witnesses supposition.

Ok whatever. My response to your original post was about what the witness said. She never guessed how fast the car was going, she simply said it was speeding. You questioned how she could possibly know what speed the car was going yet she never said, or was qouted of saying what speed it was doing. Argue all you like but that is what we conversed about and now you're on about court???

Have a good day im out

5 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Ok whatever. My response to your original post was about what the witness said. She never guessed how fast the car was going, she simply said it was speeding. You questioned how she could possibly know what speed the car was going yet she never said, or was qouted of saying what speed it was doing. Argue all you like but that is what we conversed about and now you're on about court???

Have a good day im out

Except I did not question how she could possibly know what speed the car was going, I said since when could what she merely reckoned confirm that he was speeding, perhaps you do not know what confirm means but without it her reckoning of speeding is simply worthless and so, like the court, I will not take it into account.

12 hours ago, Bullie said:

Interesting science. Fact: my sister was hit by a speeding police car, which was doing 100 km. at the time within city limits. She flew through the air for 30 meters, before slamming into a tree, thereby snapping her neck.

Speed and distance have been verified in the re-enactment.

Sorry to hear that about your sister. 

Archived