what's going on with the Thai Baht

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Markets are looking for The Pound to remain flat for most of the year and then potentially rise based on (if) good Brexit news.

The Baht is mid tourist season so THB demand is high, exporters are getting anxious.

The weakness remains with USD which fell again yesterday on (bogus) news out of China about bond buying.

Soooo, it's all about USD weakness.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Markets are looking for The Pound to remain flat for most of the year and then potentially rise based on (if) good Brexit news.

The Baht is mid tourist season so THB demand is high, exporters are getting anxious.

The weakness remains with USD which fell again yesterday on (bogus) news out of China about bond buying.

Soooo, it's all about USD weakness.

That's what I thought at first as well but even the Euro is under pressure against the Baht

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That's what I thought at first as well but even the Euro is under pressure against the Baht

I'm pretty confident it's the China Bond thingy, somebody reported that China was considering not buying any more US bonds, that along with bond yields passing the 2.50% mark - the news on both those things was later found to be either false or not unusual, expect THB to weaken as a result would be my guess.

50 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm pretty confident it's the China Bond thingy, somebody reported that China was considering not buying any more US bonds, that along with bond yields passing the 2.50% mark - the news on both those things was later found to be either false or not unusual, expect THB to weaken as a result would be my guess.

As bond yields rise the dollar becomes more attractive and usually strengthens along with interest rates. The pending NAFTA withdrawal potential which would be very damaging to the US economy is what is pressuring it over the last few days but Trump's instability (regardless of his genius) is what is lowering demand for dollars as the US relinquishing economic clout to China continues.

34 minutes ago, tonray said:

As bond yields rise the dollar becomes more attractive and usually strengthens along with interest rates. The pending NAFTA withdrawal potential which would be very damaging to the US economy is what is pressuring it over the last few days but Trump's instability (regardless of his genius) is what is lowering demand for dollars as the US relinquishing economic clout to China continues.

Shouldn't Trump be labelled as a currency manipulator then! :shock1:

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Should start around March this year.....???

16 hours ago, tonray said:

The issue IMO is that the market is pricing in a ton of new bond issuance in 2018. In 2017 Bonds were over subscribed in 2018, particularly with an infrastructure bill on the horizon it is likely Bond offerings will be under subscribed. Probably some nascent inflation being priced in as well.

The reality is Thailand is not crashing and burning and tourism is not declining as many TVF posters would like you to believe. Travel around Thailand by car. Economy is growing in every area north and south with future investments planned for the EEC and roads and rail and sky. 

Two things that are daily myths myths on this TVF. One is that Thailand is not doing well financially and will collapse soon.

Second you should never drive in Thailand. 

IMO once you drive Thailand especially if you are lucky to meet some educated Thai people and some village Thai people, the more you recognize the BS daily posts by some sad expats who don’t like their life and blame their personal misery on Thailand and Thai people. 

Well i read that 'foriegners' were buying the baht in shedloads just this year so its increasing in value although exporters in thailand are anxious its getting too strong.As for the pound brexit wieghs on it and the dollar well the us economy , trump im not sure

49 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

The reality is Thailand is not crashing and burning and tourism is not declining as many TVF posters would like you to believe. Travel around Thailand by car. Economy is growing in every area north and south with future investments planned for the EEC and roads and rail and sky. 

Two things that are daily myths myths on this TVF. One is that Thailand is not doing well financially and will collapse soon.

IMO once you drive Thailand especially if you are lucky to meet some educated Thai people and some village Thai people, the more you recognize the BS daily posts by some sad expats who don’t like their life and blame their personal misery on Thailand and Thai people. 

I've been around for >20 years, drive 30K kms/year and I can only agree with the above. Everywhere I go, I see new houses, factories, not to mention the so many new cars. While talking with locals "tang changwat" , it is plain to see that there are less and less extremely poor people. Yes there is debt, may be excessive debt, but so far I am still waiting to see the remake of the big crisis of 97 , would be bad for Thailand but egoistically rather good to me...

I thought it should be pretty obvious why the Thai baht is so strong. Improving econmy, exports and tourism. Thailand is doing much better than the UK or America. Thai bashers dont like this so they distort everything.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Well, I'm not saying I agree 100% but there are definitely observational facts that back you up. For example, the number of cars/pickup on the roads now compared to say 15 years ago. Tesco Lotus, Big C, Macro supermarkets have and are still springing everywhere. Home Improvement superstores too. These don't appear to lack shoppers any day of the week. Another fact are the mobile phones. Is this all due to Thais have more money to spend or is it credit? I am in no way an economist but I lean towards to the latter...I just hope the Loan Sharks aren't having a 'field day'.

According to the Thai Bond Market Association there have been B47billion of foreign funds flowing into Thai bonds this year compared to about B160billion for the whole of 2017. This has led to the Baht appreciating by 1.75% year to date making it the strongest performing Asian currency. However if Thai inflation picks up or there’s an increase in US Treasury yields then we could see an outflow of foreign funds & subsequent weakening in the Baht.

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

You have a problem. If I were you I'd have it seen too. Your posts have racist undertones and I reckon the mods should have a word.

Not addressing 12DrinkMore's "point of view", but I would like to defend the comment as having some validity. I have dealt with more than one Farang here with quite a "supremacist" view towards Thai people. Frankly, it has shocked me. The Thais would say "Thai language removed" -> "He looks down on Thai people".

10 minutes ago, happydays said:

According to the Thai Bond Market Association there have been B47billion of foreign funds flowing into Thai bonds this year compared to about B160billion for the whole of 2017. This has led to the Baht appreciating by 1.75% year to date making it the strongest performing Asian currency. However if Thai inflation picks up or there’s an increase in US Treasury yields then we could see an outflow of foreign funds & subsequent weakening in the Baht.

Do they indicate where these flows originate from?

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Not addressing 12DrinkMore's "point of view", but I would like to defend the comment as having some validity. I have dealt with more than one Farang here with quite a "supremacist" view towards Thai people. Frankly, it has shocked me. The Thais would say "Thai language removed" -> "He looks down on Thai people".

Just as you look down on farangs who can't read Thai?

Archived