More than 420 children went missing last year

snoop1130

More than 420 children went missing last year

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

fcc2c17fa0b5741f9ee906513cb3609e.jpeg

A total of 422 children went missing in 2017 with the number of missing girls three times higher than boys, the Police General Hospital’s Institute of Forensic Medicine, the Mirror Foundation and the Police’s Criminal Records Division told a press conference in Bangkok on Thursday.

Head of the foundation’s missing persons centre, Ekkalak Lumchomkhae, said an average of 400 children went missing in the past three years. The foundation early last year had reported a total of 424 children had been missing in 2016.

He said most missing children voluntarily ran away from their homes to escape domestic violence, while some fled to stay with boyfriends or in response to invitations from those they befriended via online media. Missing children were usually aged between 13 and 15. 

Ekkalak also cited a report in the past four years that 12 missing children had been murdered, and three of those cases remained unsolved: a seven-year-old Cambodian girl was found murdered in Bangkok in April 2014; the skeleton of a two-year-old child – suspected to be that of a missing female toddler who had gone missing four months earlier – was discovered in Nakhon Si Thammarat in July 2016; while a six-year-old child was found murdered in Phuket in December 2013.

Pol Colonel Wathee Assawutmangkool, head of the Institute of Forensic Medicine’s Division for Blood, Biochemistry and Gun Residue Testing, said the institute’s Thailand DNA Pro-Kids Project since 2010 until now had collected DNA data of 1,292 children in Thailand.

The project’s main goal was to help identify thousands of children of unknown parents who were being cared for in welfare shelters across the country, he added.

CRD commander Pol Colonel Chaiwat Burana said his office, in keeping with international standards, would update every two years the sketches of children under 18 who were reported missing, while sketches of missing youth aged over 18 would be updated every five years. There was 70 per cent similarity in the sketches, based on physical information, photos and family members’ testimonies, and periodic updating of the sketches was to keep up with the missing persons’ appearances to help locate them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30336014

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-11

56 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He said most missing children voluntarily ran away from their homes to escape domestic violence, while some fled to stay with boyfriends or in response to invitations from those they befriended via online media. Missing children were usually aged between 13 and 15.

56 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

with the number of missing girls three times higher than boys

Sounds like they are writing some of the missing off?

Why are there not shelters for these young people to go too. They are vulnerable.

The very young sound like a great concern. How much funding do they give to monitor and retrieve these children? 

Sad.

If this is such a problem and I have got no doubt that it is why doesn't the government do something about making condoms more accessible to the general population and teaching them about what they are for but then they would not be able to be new defence weapons ha ha

The amount of senseless crap these people share on social media, yet you never see a picture of a reported missing child? Facebook, twitter, Thaivisa etc. Surely they can just make a public group page on Facebook? 

It would certainly help, why not use these platforms to do some good instead of always, sharing teenagers kicking each other into a coma!

How many of these 420 kids were even on the news last year? I only remember a few stories of missing kids, and they were only published once they found their dead bodies. 

Just a thought..

These people have no shame.

But, the world is a dangerous place. I worked in Brazil for a time and nearly every lamppost had small posters with

photos of missing  kids and people pasted on them with a phone number.

I've seen the same in African countries, but Brazil was the worst. I've maybe seen 2 in Los in 12 years.

The Rescue foundation temple in Naklua in North Pattaya has / had ? a wall with gruesome photos of dead people

that had not been identified in car crashes, murders and suicides. Not for the fainthearted.

I wonder how many of the missing children have gotten into the illicit trade, and do not want to

be found. They will resurface at their home towns when they have made enough money, as long

as they do not get into the drugs too much. I met a young lady from Isaan who was working and living

in Phuket. She had not been home for 5 years.  I knew she was working at Patong, as I asked the guy she was

with where he was staying and how long he would be in Phuket. That was and is the Thailand that I have visited

all these years.

Geezer

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

These people have no shame.

But, the world is a dangerous place. I worked in Brazil for a time and nearly every lamppost had small posters with

photos of missing  kids and people pasted on them with a phone number.

I've seen the same in African countries, but Brazil was the worst. I've maybe seen 2 in Los in 12 years.

The Rescue foundation temple in Naklua in North Pattaya has / had ? a wall with gruesome photos of dead people

that had not been identified in car crashes, murders and suicides. Not for the fainthearted.

Well I stayed in Brazil in 1993. If you walked at night time the streets around  Copa Cabana  (which was actually a pretty bad idea if you had any plans to stay alive...) the sidewalks were paved with sleeping street-kids. The youngest I saw was a boy probably 3 maybe even younger - I was shocked but kept walking as I didn't know what to do as I didn't speak a single word Portuguese. Then I remembered the reports I read that business men payed the police to kill street kids at night, so the shopping experience wouldn't be negatively influenced. So I went back to sit next to the boy to make sure that at least this night nothing bad happens to him. But the spot was empty. I felt horrible.  No idea how it is nowadays in Brazil but compared with 1993 Thailand is paradise for kids. Besides the main tourist spots or shopping areas I have never really seen any street kids here. In Brazil I often saw a bunch of little kids sitting right next to a street restaurant.... and I never ever saw any person giving them some food or anything. That's why I never returned to Brazil.

3 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

The amount of senseless crap these people share on social media, yet you never see a picture of a reported missing child? Facebook, twitter, Thaivisa etc. Surely they can just make a public group page on Facebook? 

It would certainly help, why not use these platforms to do some good instead of always, sharing teenagers kicking each other into a coma!

How many of these 420 kids were even on the news last year? I only remember a few stories of missing kids, and they were only published once they found their dead bodies. 

Just a thought..

This is soooooo true.

You know what - as soon as I am back home I will try to start one.

Thanks for the inspiration 

4 hours ago, rodney earl said:

If this is such a problem and I have got no doubt that it is why doesn't the government do something about making condoms more accessible to the general population and teaching them about what they are for but then they would not be able to be new defence weapons ha ha

You think the missing children have something to do with condoms?

Or with buying arms?

But of course, all the disappearing children are blamable on the government, present and former.

I presume that the 420 figure is for those who go missing but have not been found. In the UK, about 140,000 children go missing every year, but the majority are soon found or return. But at any one time, there are 16,000 people counted as missing for over a year. In the UK also, three-quarters of missing teenagers are girls. 

Surprisingly, it seems there are no specific statistics on how many STAY missing. Of course, adults have the right to disappear if they want to, so to be missing is not a crime. And when do you write them off? 

Many illegal immigrant girls go missing. It is assumed that some time after they enter the country, they are trafficked into the sex trade (either in the UK or to elsewhere), usually they were brought to the UK by the traffickers. The UK is not atypical, this happens everywhere. So i doubt these Thai statistics are abnormal by developed world standards, possibly better.

There are also about 1000 unidentified bodies in mortuaries in the UK at one time, but i do not know how long they keep them before burial (presumably the deaths are not suspicious).

I think  more than a few have run away from One parent to the other, And  not been reported to the police, so get classed as missing. Speaking from Experience, The wife s Daughter who was 14 at the time, Use  to live with her Thai father, He use to come home drunk and beat her, 0ne night he came home and took a piece of wood and started to beat her, She ran away to her Mother's house in the middle of the night,  and never went back, So is she classed as Missing.

Archived