Trips back home not the same any more.

xylophone

On 1/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, Gecko123 said:

family and friends treat me the same way they did 15 years ago, curiously unaware that that person doesn't exist anymore.

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, roo860 said:

Spending 6 months Thailand and work the other 6 months in UK, for the last 20yrs. Having my own home in both locations I reckon I have the best of both worlds. I miss the banter with mates at home and work, my home is on the edge of the Peak District, a beautiful area, no matter what time of year.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Similar circumstances for me.

My "problem", when in the UK, is not getting round to doing the things that I look forward to doing there when I'm in Thailand.

Once you move all changes and you are not a part if it.

We learn this at young age when go from one school to another. When move from one company to another we experience the same. And still most of use forget this lessons and experiences.

1 minute ago, topt said:

xylophone I hope you took the time to stock up on the sensory delights of good and reasonably priced wine whilst you were there  :burp:

Hi topt........the answer: "is the pope a catholic," would seem to suffice!! 

Loads of Aussie wines on special at the supermarkets so couldn't resist as I have the willpower of a tame rabbit when it comes to red wine. Also found a couple of agreeable cheapies from South Africa and France (equiv of 270 baht).

Hope your wine sampling is coming along well!

Been living and working abroad for 40 years. Still having contact (sporadic) with 2 sons but not with 3 of my grandchildren. Rest of the family rejected me after i moved and married with a Thai woman 15 years ago. Friends are all but a few dead or under the radar . Last visited my Scandinavian home country 1,5 years ago, just for showing my 2 kids their other home country (dual citizenships ) and clearly realised  that it was no longer my country....

i also have similar feelings..fortunately, i dont have to return for sad occasions like death of parents etc, i still do have the rest of my family in nz ..when i return,everybody is stressed and rushing around..trying to do well in the expensive lifesstyle...i had that for 45yrs-dont want anymore...most of my family wont return to thailand after first visit--too dirty they say...but despite this and the corruption, its still like heaven to me....the biggest problem i have is--the thai 'saving face" attitude---i hate the constant lies and people not being able to say directly what they mean..{being "straight up"},mai pen rai is not a problem,though....

On 1/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, toughlove said:

I was really looking forward to my trip to oz. After 7 days I was really looking to get the hell out of there.

Every time I see " I am heading back home, had enough of thailand" threads I just have a really good chuckle. Poor barstards

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I actually agree with  and applaud those who say they've had enough  and are heading home.

If you realize Thailand' is not the place for you and you're unhappy here, indeed, go home.

Nothing sadder than Expats who drone on about how much they hate the country and the people but are still here because of the wife and the cheap cost of living. Those are the poor bastards.

I've read threads like these here before and it seems to be most of the comments are from the British. That's not a judgement! I wonder why?

I'm from the US and have been here over three years (retired) and have no plans to return for any reason. Miss some foods but that's it.

I actually agree with  and applaud those who say they've had enough  and are heading home.
If you realize Thailand' is not the place for you and you're unhappy here, indeed, go home.

Nothing sadder than Expats who drone on about how much they hate the country and the people but are still here because of the wife and the cheap cost of living. Those are the poor bastards.
Sure makes sense but let's face it a month after heading home the whining will start again lol, they just took their problems to another shore

The whiners I met generally complain about everything.

For the genuine people that are moving for a better life especially to raise children more power to them!

14 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

I've read threads like these here before and it seems to be most of the comments are from the British. That's not a judgement! I wonder why?

I'm from the US and have been here over three years (retired) and have no plans to return for any reason. Miss some foods but that's it.

Probably because Britain isnt the country it used to be. I am English (I dont class myself as British). I live in Thailand 7 months and England 5 months. I love going back for the English summer what there is of it. It makes a nice change. I catch up with all the food that I miss, no it dont taste the same here. My wife loves coming back with me,  I enjoy being Grandad for a while and seeing my 2 sons. I also keep a property in the South East of England and its value apprechiates every year. When its time to get back to Thailand and my adopted party town I am ready. I consider myself lucky I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

53 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Sure makes sense but let's face it a month after heading home the whining will start again lol, they just took their problems to another shore

The whiners I met generally complain about everything.

For the genuine people that are moving for a better life especially to raise children more power to them!

Not all who return are whiners with problems. My best friend in Thailand grew dissatisfied with his life here and the relationship with the wife's family and returned to home. He's happy as hell now and no whining. If Thailand sours for me for whatever reason, I'd happily return home. I enjoy my life in Thailand right now,  but I also enjoyed life in Canada.

Not all who return are whiners with problems. My best friend in Thailand grew dissatisfied with his life here and the relationship with the wife's family and returned to home. He's happy as hell now and no whining. If Thailand sours for me for whatever reason, I'd happily return home. I enjoy my life in Thailand right now,  but I also enjoyed life in Canada.
I didn't say they were all whiners. Did you read the last bit?

I've been a life-long expat and learned many years ago that things seem to change little back home--the same group are on the same bar stools, jumping into their conversations is like rejoining a soap opera; it doesn't take long to catch-up. I've been gone 12 years this time,  seems I average a return trip every 8-10 years. My wife and I are going this spring when my grandson and daughter-in-law go to join my son. That will probably be my swan song in the States.

8 minutes ago, toughlove said:
11 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I didn't say they were all whiners. Did you read the last bit?

I didn't read carefully enough. I just saw the raising kids part. Apologies

On 1/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, Gecko123 said:

More and more my travels have been for gastronomy, shopping, and a change of climate. I don't go back home much as family and friends treat me the same way they did 15 years ago, curiously unaware that that person doesn't exist anymore.

They can't even see that you are a Gecko? The gecko. 

I feel the exact same way, although I come from Germany and and everything is over regulated there. I always have the feeling, when going back, that I am being squeezed into a "straight jacket". The only reason for going back to Europe's to visit my daughters twice a year and I have been living in Phuket for 5 years now and I am really happy to call Thailand my home. We all know, there is "room for improvement" here (putting it mildly ;-) Try to stay out of trouble and avoid government agencies..... then you are almost in paradise. Yepp...... it's home!!

No, not at all.

I'm lucky to have been born in a country that has 50 million citizens born in another country.  Far more than any other country in the world.

They are hardworking and bring new perspectives and buy property in run-down neighborhoods and improve them and open up new restaurants with yummy food.

That's why America has the best food in the world... immigrants.

America is always improving and changing for the better.

Sure, there's the occasion pothole where we elect uneducated, racist Rich White Trash morons who talk shit out of their pie holes.

But if America was so bad, why would 50 million people choose to move there?  Because the future is better than where they came from.

And that includes YOUR country. ?

Plus LEGAL WEED.  I have a medical card in America and eat edibles every night.  Makes me sleep like a baby.

Never touch the stuff here UNTIL IT'S LEGAL.  Probably in 10 years.  Looking forward to owning a LEGAL Buds N Breakfast 420 Guest House. 

My wife will handle the cooking and cleaning.  I'll be the budtender and give tours back to the LEGAL Ganja farm, just like they used to do in Jamaica.  Educate and medicate.  Relax.  Hang out.  Don't drink, THINK.

Until then I don't miss it one bit, even though I tend to wake up early here--because I got the primo, legal shatter, wax, oil and sensimilla just waiting back for me back home for my arrival. ?

Don't be stupid, don't do drugs here. ✓

I must be an oddball?  I enjoy returning to the USA once a year although don't enjoy paying the airfare. I like to see my friends and catch up with them. Most importantly I take care of medical appointments and renew prescription meds and collect my mail.  And it is a break from the hustle and bustle and all that goes with living in Pattaya.

Having left the UK 36 years ago because I was bored of the island mentality I have not one bit of interest in going back to the UK.

For many years I was in London on business many times a year. Oh how I grew to hate those overnight flights even though they were in the front of the plane. But I knew that my decision to leave was the correct one after every single visit.

18 months ago after a twelve year hiatus I went back in 2016 to conclude family matters. What a shabby, scruffy run down place it now is. How narrow minded and insular were the people, even the young ones. And how dreadful was the weather.

Thailand is certainly not perfect but having been coming here on business since the mid 90s and living here full time for a decade I can safely say that this is home. Sure I will always be a farang and an alien but those are not pejorative terms. Yes I battle with the language but we always connect. And most of all is the feeling that this is a country of the future, not one languishing in a mythical past.

Know what you mean Xylophone, my regular trips back were to see my Mother and family, now she(Mum) has passed away, when I last went back after the first few days meeting up with family members I was ready to come back, when you consider all the things to put up with like getting to the airport checking in,travelling after arrival,the extra security and the costs,and the reverse for the return,it now makes me wonder if it's worth the hassle, haven't been back for two years now,a record for me, no idea when I will go back again.

Know what you mean Xylophone, my regular trips back were to see my Mother and family, now she(Mum) has passed away, when I last went back after the first few days meeting up with family members I was ready to come back, when you consider all the things to put up with like getting to the airport checking in,travelling after arrival,the extra security and the costs,and the reverse for the return,it now makes me wonder if it's worth the hassle, haven't been back for two years now,a record for me, no idea when I will go back again.

Count yourselves somewhat fortunate. How about facing the U.S. Immigration and Airport security upon

entering the U.S. and then departing to return home to Thailand? Fault me for abandoning the battle, if you

wish. I would not submit, as a US citizen, to some of the intrusive steps being taken even to clear U.S. citizens.

I denounce the fascist direction and the excuse that these steps are necessary in the name of national

security. My DNA was in the US from before the country was founded, I'll be damned if I will submit. An aging

Eagle Scout, if you have to treat me as suspect ... you have already lost the country. Ha! Means they would

throw my butt in jail for not conforming ... good luck, screw them.

I am a Brit and been living in Thailand last 6 years and visiting since 2002.

I prefer UK!

I am returning in March.

Many of the usual reasons - face, lies, corruption, pollution etc

Uk has some lovely countryside unspoilt and plenty of public parks, woods, bike tracks etc.

Thailand builds on most of it and public amenities are few. 

I need root canal and a crown and shocked at an average price of 15,000 baht about GBP 340. NHS GBP 244. Price of food here is expensive for western food. I eat thai food, but concerned at all the articles regarding pesticides and again corruption plays to this . long term heaven knows what health damage is accruing.

Unfortunately the system and the law here is set up to disadvantage foreigners. Dual pricing, unable to own land your home sits on, are 2 examples not found abroad.

I return to UK every year and this time i plan to stay for a long time, though I will return here for holidays.

Apart from housing and labour, thailand isn't so cheap for a Brit anymore. Second hand cars are way cheaper in UK.

I also have found medical competency and accountability in Thailand is poor in my numerous dealings 

I feel similar to you.  I am back in NZ now, Howick. I used to come back 3 times a yr for 1-2 months at a time but I have family who have their routine interfered with by my being here.

it is hard to know what to do as I have 2 grandkids I love.

No family remaining in America for either my wife (also American) or me.  Went back last time nineteen years ago and and in a single day, by auction, sold our house, all its contents and  four automobiles that had been garaged unused for a dozen years, one a classic muscle car, another a '76 Alfa Spyder convertible I had restored.  Was amazed how little it had all come to mean to me.  Even parted ways with my prized torque wrench without much feeling. We are now retired in Isaan after having built a house in a filled-in rice paddy beside a lake.   No real reason to return to our home country now, which I guess is a little bit sad, but it's a fleeting sadness, passing quickly.

58 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Uk has some lovely countryside unspoilt and plenty of public parks, woods, bike tracks etc.

How many days a year can you use them?

When I was in the UK, maybe 20 days a year. In Thailand 4 days a week.

Archived