BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xylophone

Trips back home not the same any more.

I refer to Thailand as my home, because that's how I feel. Yep.

If I might try to sum up this thread -- "home is where the heart is" -- of course.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, transam said:

I feel the same as you, last time I went back was to watch my mum pass away, as soon as I had a funeral date I booked a flight back that very evening...

same story, been here 18 years went back for my fathers funeral 12 years ago i got back to the UK Thursday funeral Friday flew back here Saturday. was going back prior for visas once a year and like the OP said once the initial catch up is done everyone back to their lives and your kicking your heels. not interested in ever returning to the UK .

4 hours ago, Marc K said:

If I might try to sum up this thread -- "home is where the heart is" -- of course.

In reality, home is the place they can't refuse to let you live.

"home is where the heart is" was invented before immigration controls were common.

1 minute ago, questionsreplies said:

But don't you feel bad to have abandonned your parents even before they die ? Ok that your own kids leave you behind like s h i t ?

just wondering !

No I don't....Many folk emigrate to other countries looking for a different life, the USA was built on folk looking for a different life. Some of us don't need apron strings...:stoner:

Last time returned to UK was 2003........ since then more and more friends have died even younger friends and Cousins so even less likely to ever visit, were all older and moved on 

39 minutes ago, questionsreplies said:

But don't you feel bad to have abandonned your parents even before they die ? Ok that your own kids leave you behind like s h i t ?

just wondering !

No, because everybody could see how happy & content I was, having such a great wife.

I began regularly traveling to Thailand in 1989 and thought of moving here permanently on many occasions.  I really enjoy how laid back Thailand appears to be and how friendly everyone seems to be.  My wife lived in the U.S. for several years before we met.  After we married we started traveling to visit her family and to tour Thailand. After several trips, we decided to build a home on her mother's property, allow her mother to live in it and we would use it when we were in country.  We planned to move into it permanently when we retired from our jobs.  After traveling back and forth for twenty plus years we both decided living in Thailand wasn't for us and gave our home to my wife's mother, her cousin and her cousin's husband.  We enjoy our time when we are visiting but like all places, it has changed and to me has lost some of its luster.   My wife just returned from a visit but I haven't been back for almost two years although I do plan on visiting.  I'm happy for those of you that have decided to make it home but I'm sorry some of you have disconnected from your home countries.  I would personally have a difficult time never returning to my native country. 

WOW - what a mixed bunch of thoughts.

I have lived here in Thailand for just over three years so perhaps I am not as cynical as some posters.  I am from the UK and go back once a year to catch up with friends - I have one brother but I have not seen him in person for the time I have been here - we skype each week.

Sadly alot of my friends have died since I have been here but I still have many friends in the Uk and i enjoy seeing them all - I like to think that they enjoying seeing me too.

On another note I ride my pushbike here every day of the week - a few accidents- the worst was when a great big fat visitor stepped out in front of me (he was not looking) and knocked me off my bike - he remained standing but I injured my arm quite badly - all ok now.

I have to have annual blood tests and x-ray taken for my hip replacement and these are all done very cheaply at a local private hospital -  unlike the UK I can choose the time I go there and they are reasonably efficient.

Dental treatment i have found to be superb - much better than the UK.

Cost of living here?  Well in the UK it would be surviving on my pensions or working to enjoy living, here I can live despite the 25% drop in income.

I consider Thailand to be my home,  I cannot say I will never return to the UK to live as anything can happen and I may need to return one day - hopefully much later rather than sooner.

There is however, one thing that really p****s me off about living here - I still have to pay tax on my income in the UK to help support the dross of society who choose not to work!!!!!!

Cheers everyone!

i've been making 2-3 trips a year to USA for the last 12 years.  the first 6, i spent equal time with friends versus parents/family.  but the friend visits did get frustrating as their schedules always seemed to change last minute and i didn't feel like the side trips to see them was worth it at times.  so i focused more on spending time with mom and dad for a couple years.  thankfully, one of my friends bought a large vacation home in hawaii three years ago and established a 'boys only' week (end of october every year).  so now six of us, who have been friends since we were 18 or younger (now 50), can spend a full week together w/o the bother of a job, wife, or child.  nothing against a job, a wife, and/or a child but it really makes the friend visit alot better.  no distractions at all.

No place stays the same. People die, people move on, some people never change and are boring, some people are fun to be around. Traffic gets worse. Tech changes.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:13 AM, questionsreplies said:

just wondering !

It seems that not many people like when the truth is said...

On 1/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, faraday said:

No, because everybody could see how happy & content I was, having such a great wife.

Only you seem to be able to accept the truth here. People can do what they want but it's good to face the truth.

I also do not care about my parents as I did not choose them.

44 minutes ago, questionsreplies said:

Only you seem to be able to accept the truth here. People can do what they want but it's good to face the truth.

I also do not care about my parents as I did not choose them.

I cared & loved my parents so much, but I knew my Mum was happy that I had finally found a good woman, after some horrors over the years.

The full explanation & indeed, justification is too long to post here.

My sister called me Line on my wedding day so Mum could see us being married, & also 2 days before she died.

:smile: