Over 33 per cent of children are ‘disadvantaged’

rooster59

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You missed my point, I was replying to someone who stated that the purpose of Childrens day was solely to see the military and to praise Prayrut and I was just pointing out that there is much more to Childrens day than those two happenings

I don't think so - he was pointing out the over emphasis of military and government on a day that is meant to be about children.

You then went on about focusing only on the negative aspects......

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I don't think so - he was pointing out the over emphasis of military and government on a day that is meant to be about children.

You then went on about focusing only on the negative aspects......

No he wasnt , this is what he posted v

I also made the point that there are numerous other events for children that do not involve the military or the government

But this is why Thailand has a Children's Day. So the disadvantaged children can go and see the military displays organised by the heavily wrist-watched army generals and see the cardboard cut-outs of the PM and shake his cut-out hand and feel the delight and satisfaction of importance from sitting in his salubrious office chair.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No he wasnt , this is what he posted v

I also made the point that there are numerous other events for children that do not involve the military or the government

But this is why Thailand has a Children's Day. So the disadvantaged children can go and see the military displays organised by the heavily wrist-watched army generals and see the cardboard cut-outs of the PM and shake his cut-out hand and feel the delight and satisfaction of importance from sitting in his salubrious office chair.

I think your comprehension of this post was a bit below par....Somewhat too literal shall we say?

7 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I think you comprehension of this post was a bit below par....shall we say?

I did realise that he was being sarcastic, but my point was that there are many other things going on, and the military is just a small part of Childrens day .

On 1/13/2018 at 9:52 AM, sanemax said:

There must be some cases of rich old ferang guys in Thailand, and for once , because its so cold , that they can turn their air con off , sitting at home and reading about poor kids in the mountains , who are under nourished and cold and begrudge those kids getting free blankets and milk .

"Schools ?" "If their parents dont pay tax , they shouldnt be allowed to go to Schools"

If their parents don't pay tax they should be given ALL for free while others pay/work for it??

43 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did realise that he was being sarcastic, but my point was that there are many other things going on, and the military is just a small part of Childrens day .

My intention was not to be negative toward Children's Day. I am sure there were other fun things going on for them in the Country.

Was I was simply trying to demonstrate that this special day has been hijacked by Prayut and his military generals to turn the occasion into an armed forces and military political promo day.

54 minutes ago, Thian said:

If their parents don't pay tax they should be given ALL for free while others pay/work for it??

They are not given ALL for free though .

Do you feel that Children whos parents do not have Thai citizenship , just the legal right to remain in Thailand , should not be allowed to attend Schools ?

27 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

My intention was not to be negative toward Children's Day. I am sure there were other fun things going on for them in the Country.

Was I was simply trying to demonstrate that this special day has been hijacked by Prayut and his military generals to turn the occasion into an armed forces and military political promo day.

The Army has always been involved in Childrens day , even before Prayuts time .

Nothings been "hijacked" and theres no promo going on .

Its just an event for Children , theres no need to Adults to analyse it 

21 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

"The people that live in the villages do not need the extravagances of the people of the city"

Which ones?    Running water. health care, internet access ?  which ones don t they need?

You are aware that half the world's population don't access to Internet aren't you? 

In fact I lived my life from 0 to 35 with no Internet ?? and I'm just fine. 

They may not have running water, (though I suspect you are wrong, and they actually do )but anyway they are well situated near a clean water source. 

They do certainly have health care clinics that they visit in the towns and they also have health professionals that go to visit them and check their health. It's in Thailand best interests to do that to keep thai people safe from disease. They do actually have ways of making money, such as selling their traditional crafts to tourists and allowing tour companies to visit the villages. They are communal by nature and continue to follow traditional styles of caring for each other. 

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although I dont believe that they get given homes, clothing or food .

Although kids in school do get subsidised uniforms and a meal per day and a cartoon of milk and the occasional blanket during the winter months

I didn't say they were given homes clothing and food. 

I said from what I have seen they have enough of those things. The hilltribe are able to make money from selling traditional crafts and opening some villages to tourist companies. 

It's debatable if the village headman actully shares those profits with the source, but that's a whole other issue. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

I didn't say they were given homes clothing and food. 

I said from what I have seen they have enough of those things. The hilltribe are able to make money from selling traditional crafts and opening some villages to tourist companies. 

It's debatable if the village headman actully shares those profits with the source, but that's a whole other issue. 

Absolute nonsense.

It has been shown that whilst these people are stateless they are unable to properly earn a living and some Thai kabobs have actually interfered unprocessed such as  getting US residency as they have been making personal gain by keeping these people in a state of limbo....to the point they even set up a human zoo near  Pattaya.

You might want to familiarise yourself with the history of the situation around Thailand's borders......

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/hilltribes-terrorized-government-agents-and-policy-thailand

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

You are aware that half the world's population don't access to Internet aren't you? 

They may not have running water, (though I suspect you are wrong, and they actually do )but anyway they are well situated near a clean water source. 

They do certainly have health care clinics that they visit in the towns and they also have health professionals that go to visit them and check their health. It's in Thailand best interests to do that to keep thai people safe from disease. They do actually have ways of making money, such as selling their traditional crafts to tourists and allowing tour companies to visit the villages. They are communal by nature and continue to follow traditional styles of caring for each other. 

Possibly the most facile comment on the whole thread.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:02 AM, sanemax said:

"Why should they have schools and running water, if they do not have the money to pay for it"

farang-and-pros.jpg

cambodian_children.jpg

A riveting rebuttal of my points. Truly, I am vanquished.

Seriously dude, anyone can cherry-pick photos. Here, look:

276179.jpg

71907379_71907167.jpg

DSC01275.JPG

RS_3294__Black_Lahu_smoking_opium_xgaplus.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:02 AM, sanemax said:

"Why should they have schools and running water, if they do not have the money to pay for it"

Why don't you address my previous question -

How can you justify your desire to impose the financial burden of integrating these people into society onto the Thai taxpayers? Or are you willing to personally pay for the betterment of these hill tribes from your own pocket? How many hill tribe children do you personally support now?

It's easy to advocate for wealth redistribution when you aren't the one footing the bill.

2 hours ago, Genmai said:

A riveting rebuttal of my points. Truly, I am vanquished.

Seriously dude, anyone can cherry-pick photos. Here, look:

276179.jpg

71907379_71907167.jpg

DSC01275.JPG

RS_3294__Black_Lahu_smoking_opium_xgaplus.jpg

but these photos point out Thailand's social ills too....you don't seem to understand the situation at all.

51 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

but these photos point out Thailand's social ills too....you don't seem to understand the situation at all.

Airbagwill, if you're so informed about the situation and you're the one who really understands it then why don't you enlighten those of us who aren't as clever by answering my previous question?

No one is suggesting that Thailand doesn't have its social ills. What I am saying is that the mere fact that these ills exist does not tell us how the Thai people might go about rectifying the situation. My point is that freely extending social benefits to foreign groups of people (many of whom have wandered in illegally from neighbouring countries over the last hundred years) can have far reaching implications into the future. By juxtaposing his two cherry-picked images Sanemax seems to be implying that people who question the diversion of state funds to hill tribes are just old saggy whore-mongering hypocrites who get a kick out of denying basic necessities to poor children. I am pointing out the intellectual dishonesty in Sanemax's post and am saying that the real hypocrisy rests with those who call for the Thai government to give (more) money for what they believe to be egalitarian reasons, all the while they themselves don't have to lift a finger or pay one Baht. 

2 hours ago, Genmai said:

My point is that freely extending social benefits to foreign groups of people (many of whom have wandered in illegally from neighbouring countries over the last hundred years)

Completely and utterly misinformed assessment of the situation.

These people's countries were absorbed by successive shifts in borders not just by regional countries but by the British and the French.

Nothing illegal...apart from being  illegally displaced. Many have lived there for centuries.

As for enlightening you, don't you think that if you intend to comment on a topic, it's better to inform yourself first to avoid making wildly inaccurate assumptions.

I'd suggest the responsibility for that rests with the poster.....It certainly isn't my responsibility to wetnurse you.

6 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Completely and utterly misinformed assessment of the situation.

These people's countries were absorbed by successive shifts in borders not just by regional countries but by the British and the French.

Nothing illegal...apart from being  illegally displaced. Many have lived there for centuries.

As for enlightening you, don't you think that if you intend to comment on a topic, it's better to inform yourself first to avoid making wildly inaccurate assumptions.

I'd suggest the responsibility for that rests with the poster.....It certainly isn't my responsibility to wetnurse you.

As you are refusing to answer my question I will assume that you a)-  don't have any justification for wanting Thai society to shoulder this burden, and b)- don't personally support any hill tribe members financially.

Regarding the rest of what you say about hill tribes being law-abiding residents for centuries in Thailand, the following is quoted from http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Thailand/sub5_8b/entry-3226.html

--------------------->

For a long time these tribes lacked legal status because they were regarded as stateless people who wandered freely and didn’t recognize international borders or obey national laws.

Some of the smaller groups preceded the Tai-speaking peoples into what is now Thailand, but many are relative latecomers. Many of hill tribe members to first arrive in Thailand were driven out of China, Burma, Laos and Vietnam in the last 100 years. Thailand was home to only a few thousand hill tribe members at the turn of the 20th century. In the past hill tribes were regarded as foreigners by the Thai legal and social system. In recent years, largely through efforts by the Thai king, the tribes have been incorporated into Thai society.

Through natural increase and immigration, the population of the highlands increased from approximately 100,000 in 1948 to about 700,000 in the late 1980s, according to Ministry of Interior estimates. This population growth led to a significant increase in the number of landless people in the highlands. As a result, many of the landless began cultivating forest reserves, thereby accelerating the depletion of the country's forestland.

-------------------------->

So in essence a large chunk of them have about as much right to access of state resources as do the Romanian gypsies in Italy. The two groups are actually quite similar in their actions and principles, except the gypsies don't deforest Italian forests or practice slash & burn agriculture.

It's like you're staying at a hotel where there are some squatters and you're calling for the owner to extend guest status to them, while at the same time lambasting any other guests who disagree with you.

Huge amounts of them live just across the border. If you give all of the existing hill tribe populations access to citizenship and social programs it is undoubtable that more of them WILL come here to compete with the Thais for jobs and access to benefits. If you're going to sit on your high-horse of egalitarianism and tell people that they're misinformed then you also have to take this fact on your conscience. What will you tell Somchai and his village gang when they find out that all the farming jobs have gone to some Karens? Or when they realise that the potholes in their roads will probably be a permanent feature because infrastructure needs to be brought to some hill tribes first? Or are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and financially support the hill tribes personally? Didn't think so.

9 hours ago, Genmai said:

As you are refusing to answer my question I will assume that you a)-  don't have any justification for wanting Thai society to shoulder this burden, and b)- don't personally support any hill tribe members financially.

Regarding the rest of what you say about hill tribes being law-abiding residents for centuries in Thailand, the following is quoted from http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Thailand/sub5_8b/entry-3226.html

--------------------->

For a long time these tribes lacked legal status because they were regarded as stateless people who wandered freely and didn’t recognize international borders or obey national laws.

Some of the smaller groups preceded the Tai-speaking peoples into what is now Thailand, but many are relative latecomers. Many of hill tribe members to first arrive in Thailand were driven out of China, Burma, Laos and Vietnam in the last 100 years. Thailand was home to only a few thousand hill tribe members at the turn of the 20th century. In the past hill tribes were regarded as foreigners by the Thai legal and social system. In recent years, largely through efforts by the Thai king, the tribes have been incorporated into Thai society.

Through natural increase and immigration, the population of the highlands increased from approximately 100,000 in 1948 to about 700,000 in the late 1980s, according to Ministry of Interior estimates. This population growth led to a significant increase in the number of landless people in the highlands. As a result, many of the landless began cultivating forest reserves, thereby accelerating the depletion of the country's forestland.

-------------------------->

So in essence a large chunk of them have about as much right to access of state resources as do the Romanian gypsies in Italy. The two groups are actually quite similar in their actions and principles, except the gypsies don't deforest Italian forests or practice slash & burn agriculture.

It's like you're staying at a hotel where there are some squatters and you're calling for the owner to extend guest status to them, while at the same time lambasting any other guests who disagree with you.

Huge amounts of them live just across the border. If you give all of the existing hill tribe populations access to citizenship and social programs it is undoubtable that more of them WILL come here to compete with the Thais for jobs and access to benefits. If you're going to sit on your high-horse of egalitarianism and tell people that they're misinformed then you also have to take this fact on your conscience. What will you tell Somchai and his village gang when they find out that all the farming jobs have gone to some Karens? Or when they realise that the potholes in their roads will probably be a permanent feature because infrastructure needs to be brought to some hill tribes first? Or are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and financially support the hill tribes personally? Didn't think so.

Absolutectripe and your schoolboy attempts to dichotomize the discussion are only matched by your wildly inaccurate suggestions As to the future behaviour of "hill tribes"  you don't even appear to know who they are.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:39 AM, Genmai said:

Why don't you address my previous question -

How can you justify your desire to impose the financial burden of integrating these people into society onto the Thai taxpayers? Or are you willing to personally pay for the betterment of these hill tribes from your own pocket? How many hill tribe children do you personally support now?

It's easy to advocate for wealth redistribution when you aren't the one footing the bill.

I do feel that (future )Thai society will benefit from having an educated workforce who are healthy , rather than having an army of feral youths who cannot read or write and have no education .

The hill tribe people farm the land , which provides Thailand with food and its also exported , they provide Thailand with enough wealth to warrant being given Schools and health care

On 1/15/2018 at 3:08 PM, Genmai said:

I am pointing out the intellectual dishonesty in Sanemax's post and am saying that the real hypocrisy rests with those who call for the Thai government to give (more) money for what they believe to be egalitarian reasons, all the while they themselves don't have to lift a finger or pay one Baht.

You really shouldnt make statements like that, if you dont know any facts .

I have been very generous to my hill tribe Sons family

On 1/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, Genmai said:

No, you moved to a Country and you tell people who were born in that Country that you moved to, that they have no right to live in that Country .

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, sanemax said:

The hill tribe people farm the land , which provides Thailand with food and its also exported , they provide Thailand with enough wealth to warrant being given Schools and health care

1- Those are jobs that could be (and used to be) done by Thais. If you give more handouts to "the army of feral youths" as you put it then you can expect more of them to come from across the borders and compete with Thais for those jobs.

2- Go back and read my previous post where I quoted a section that talked about hill tribes causing massive deforestation of the lands to which they (illegally) migrated to so that they can practice slash & burn agriculture. We keep reading articles about all the burning that takes place and the dangerous pesticide levels in our produce. It's hard enough to monitor Thai farmers. You think it's easier to control farming standards when the farm is up a mountain in the middle of nowhere on the border with Myanmar? We have evidence of banned substances being smuggled in from neighbouring countries and mixed into poisonous cocktails that are then poured onto our vegetables. Everyone knows the reports that I'm talking about. Hill tribes are the first to receive these toxins due to their proximity to the borders. 

Is that the "wealth" you are referring to? Smoke in the air and poisons in the food? 

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, sanemax said:

You really shouldnt make statements like that, if you dont know any facts .

I have been very generous to my hill tribe Sons family

Good job. Are you going to pay for all of the hill tribes now? No. So what gives you the right to put this imposition onto others? 

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, sanemax said:

No, you moved to a Country and you tell people who were born in that Country that you moved to, that they have no right to live in that Country .

And?

Do you have to be a woman to comment on feminist issues? Do you have to be gay to discuss homosexuality? Can a male gynecologist express his opinion? If I had been born here and I had said the same things then would that automatically make my point valid? No. Anyone can put forth any proposition without needing to first be identified with the group being talked about. What I am doing is arguing for a specific principle, one that should apply to each and every country. The fact that someone's parents walked into a particular country illegally and had a baby within its borders does not automatically invalidate another person's argument based on that fact alone.

1 minute ago, Genmai said:

1- Those are jobs that could be (and used to be) done by Thais. If you give more handouts to "the army of feral youths" as you put it then you can expect more of them to come from across the borders and compete with Thais for those jobs.

No, as I have already explained three times previously , the children born in Thailand have already been documented and have a legal right to remain in Thailand , anyone else coming across the border does not and will not get a legal right to remain in Thailand .

The Thais do not want to do menial work , those kinds of jobs are now done by immigrants

6 minutes ago, Genmai said:

2- Go back and read my previous post where I quoted a section that talked about hill tribes causing massive deforestation of the lands to which they (illegally) migrated to so that they can practice slash & burn agriculture. We keep reading articles about all the burning that takes place and the dangerous pesticide levels in our produce. It's hard enough to monitor Thai farmers. You think it's easier to control farming standards when the farm is up a mountain in the middle of nowhere on the border with Myanmar? We have evidence of banned substances being smuggled in from neighbouring countries and mixed into poisonous cocktails that are then poured onto our vegetables. Everyone knows the reports that I'm talking about. Hill tribes are the first to receive these toxins due to their proximity to the borders. 

Is that the "wealth" you are referring to? Smoke in the air and poisons in the food? 

That is a separate issue , burning crops and pesticides in  a Thai issue , its up to the Government to make sure people do not use them and to encourage farmers not to slash and burn .

This is a farming issue , not a hill tribe issue .

Many of the hill tribe people are Thai citizens with full citizenship

10 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Good job. Are you going to pay for all of the hill tribes now? No. So what gives you the right to put this imposition onto others? 

Which others is that ?

You ?

The Northern area quite probably pays for itself , with all the income from the foods grown there .

Those goods are taxed and the tax money goes towards schools and hospitals

20 minutes ago, Genmai said:

What I am doing is arguing for a specific principle, one that should apply to each and every country.

Rich people should have everything and poor people should not have health care or an education .

What would be your solution ?

A Myanmar type situation, where all the non Burmese are killed and expelled to other Countries .

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, as I have already explained three times previously , the children born in Thailand have already been documented and have a legal right to remain in Thailand , anyone else coming across the border does not and will not get a legal right to remain in Thailand .

The Thais do not want to do menial work , those kinds of jobs are now done by immigrants

Yes I understand that but those aren't the children I am talking about. I am talking about the 6% of the underprivileged children who are referenced by the original article as being of hill-tribe origin and not having the rights to access state-provided healthcare services. It is an extremely harsh reality but if you give those undocumented children the same rights as Thai kids then Thailand will face a flood of migrants. Hill tribe population numbers have already increased nearly tenfold since 1948 and as of now the 'borders' are impossible to control. Now, those new migrants themselves may not get a legal right to remain in Thailand as you say. But their kids will. And you can be damn sure that if there is a chance for their kids to have a better life then they will most certainly take that chance and pop out as many of them on Thai soil while they can. The question, again, is what would be the justification for saddling Thai society with this burden, especially when according to the article there is still the other 94% of underprivileged kids here who are presumably fully Thai?

As for Thais not wanting to do menial work, do you not think that this is precisely because many jobs are now associated with hill-tribe/foreign migrant labour? In any case I buy my produce from Thai farmers who grow it themselves. You should go and ask them how they feel about the increase of hill-tribe farmers. Have you? Bet you haven't.

That is a separate issue , burning crops and pesticides in  a Thai issue , its up to the Government to make sure people do not use them and to encourage farmers not to slash and burn .

This is a farming issue , not a hill tribe issue .

Many of the hill tribe people are Thai citizens with full citizenship

How can you say that they are separate issues while at the same time continually praising hill-tribe-grown agricultural produce as something that is a massive benefit to the country? If you are going to say that this is their biggest contribution then you have to take the bad with the good. Yes, it is up to the government to make sure people don't use banned pesticides and encourage farmers not to slash and burn. Do you not think that this is much more difficult to do when farms are located on a mountain with restricted access? Do you not think that given the fact that slash & burn agriculture has been the preferred method of crop cultivation for hill tribes that they massively contribute to the annual smog problem in the North? Do you not think that given their proximity to the borders hill tribes are the first to receive illegal toxic sprays as they are smuggled through? Do you not think that since large numbers of these people have barely left the stone age they aren't likely to diligently read and follow instructions regarding the use of agricultural chemicals?

Here. Remember this? Earlier you implied that all those who question your forcing of egalitarianism onto others are the equivalent of old white unsightly whore mongering perverts who take joy in depriving innocent children of basic necessities. This is one of the photos you used in your 'argument'. They aren't actually hill tribe kids (cambodian_children.jpg? Next time at least change the file name.) but let's pretend that they are. You claim that agricultural produce grown by these people is a great benefit to the country. Look at the state of these kids and tell me: do you not think that the geographically isolated and marginalized adult farmers in this society are likely to cut corners and abandon safety protocols if it means being able to achieve an economic gain for them and their children? 

cambodian_children.jpg.6807efc0400315762d04a1b5252a8148.jpg.56db63976bfe355b6c3a71f1cb2bbdd4.jpg

Which others is that ?

You ?

The Northern area quite probably pays for itself , with all the income from the foods grown there .

Those goods are taxed and the tax money goes towards schools and hospitals

I don't know. Do you want it to be me? You haven't suggested where all the money for integrating these people and connecting infrastructure to them should come from, but I'm guessing you want it to come from somebody else other than you. The original article states: "Agencies that extended medical services to these children would have to foot the bill themselves". So why don't you be the one to tell us: who should pay for all this?

Also, if the Northern area is generating such a large amount of money (as you've just claimed) then maybe this is all a non-issue? But that would contradict what you've been saying...

So either you're wrong and they actually produce nothing of value, or you're right and they can't properly manage their money to adequately provide for their own children (since they spend it all on getting drunk/doped). Which is it?

Rich people should have everything and poor people should not have health care or an education .

What would be your solution ?

A Myanmar type situation, where all the non Burmese are killed and expelled to other Countries .

Again, you're strawmanning me. 

The direction which you are proposing taxpayer money to move in will incentivise more people to make dangerous & illegal border crossings in the jungles, pop out as many babies as they can on Thai soil, get onto the state handouts wagon and compete with locals for resources and jobs. These are the same people who despite pulling in lots of money by competing with local farmers ("The Northern area quite probably pays for itself, with all the income from the foods grown there") choose to spend it all on alcohol/opium/heroin instead of providing for their own children.

And yet somehow I'm the evil one for criticising your brand of short-sighted pathological altruism. Why? Because I have money and they don't. Brilliant.

My solution? Donate money to and work with NGOs who operate on the other side of the border in Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia to provide livelihoods for people so they stop coming here in the first place. The Thai system as it is will have to do for now. Offering citizenship to hill-tribe children born on Thai soil is generous enough. Anything more is asking for trouble.

He said 80 per cent of underprivileged children were financially poor and about six per cent were from multi-ethnic groups and without rights to state-provided healthcare services.

"Underprivileged children are called so for a reason, Mr. Squadron Leader." It's better not to comment on the multi- ethnic groups and the rights they should have to state provided health care, people like you are not providing to them. 

Archived