Over 33 per cent of children are ‘disadvantaged’

rooster59

On 1/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, sanemax said:

That isnt correct .

Stateless Children have the legal right to remain in Thailand and they are legally required to enroll and attend Schools up until 16 years old , upon completion of schooling and with proof of being born in Thailand, they would them be eligible to apply for and to receive Thai I.D and citizenship and therefore be able to attend higher education

That's not really true. Stateless people have to fight for any rights, not only in Thailand. Almost 100 years ago anybody who's born in Thailand was considered Thai, but that had changed when thousands of migrants poured into Thailand as result of the Indochina conflict.

Things would be a lot worse without the help of UNICEF. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

That's not really true. Stateless people have to fight for any rights, not only in Thailand. Almost 100 years ago anybody who's born in Thailand was considered Thai, but that had changed when thousands of migrants poured into Thailand as result of the Indochina conflict.

Things would be a lot worse without the help of UNICEF. 

It was completely true , Stateless people do not have to fight for the right to remain in Thailand or the right to go to school , it is given too them without needing to fight for it .

BTW , I am talking about stateless people in Thailand and not illegal immigrants in Thailand

10 hours ago, Genmai said:

Yes I understand that but those aren't the children I am talking about. I am talking about the 6% of the underprivileged children who are referenced by the original article as being of hill-tribe origin and not having the rights to access state-provided healthcare services. It is an extremely harsh reality but if you give those undocumented children the same rights as Thai kids then Thailand will face a flood of migrants. Hill tribe population numbers have already increased nearly tenfold since 1948 and as of now the 'borders' are impossible to control. Now, those new migrants themselves may not get a legal right to remain in Thailand as you say. But their kids will. And you can be damn sure that if there is a chance for their kids to have a better life then they will most certainly take that chance and pop out as many of them on Thai soil while they can. The question, again, is what would be the justification for saddling Thai society with this burden, especially when according to the article there is still the other 94% of underprivileged kids here who are presumably fully Thai?

The land is the home of Hilltribe people , they were living on the land long before Thailand was even a Country , it is THEIR soil , why dont you join the Shan independence group and give the lands that Thailand took from them and give them an independent Country .

Maybe you could join a Thai Nationalist political group , which wants Thailand for "Thais" only and non "Thais" should have no right to live in Thailand .

Archived