Video re-enactment: Chiang Mai baht bus thief stole 200,000 yen from elderly Japanese woman at knifepoint

rooster59

Video re-enactment: Chiang Mai baht bus thief stole 200,000 yen from elderly Japanese woman at knifepoint

bus.JPG

Image: TV news

Police in Chiang Mai took a 33 year old red song thaew driver on a re-enactment yesterday after he was arrested for stealing from a 75 year old Japanese female tourist at knife point.

TV news reported that the case was serious for having a detrimental effect on tourism especially as the Japanese were "quality tourists".

Sakon Parangsee, 33, had borrowed his father's song thaew to pick up the tourist at the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai then had taken her to an isolated section of road.

There he produced a knife and robbed her of 200,000 yen, a camera, credit card and a little over 1,000 baht. Then he ordered her out of the vehicle and drove off with the loot.

She reported to police and he was soon arrested thanks to CCTV.

He apologized saying he needed money to pay off a debt. 

A re-enactment of the crime took place yesterday for the cameras in which the suspect was completely visible.

Source: TV news

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-13

Always amazed that they bother with these reenactments. If the guys going to reenact it, then he is already saying he's guilty. How else can you reenact something if you hadn't done it? OK well I remember the B2 on Koh Tao directed how to reenact the crime.

Regardless, if you have a confession why waste time with a big troupe of cops and media, blocking traffic and so on. The only reasons I can see is that the people demand this type of theater, or the cops get off on acting like they care about crime.

"TV news reported that the case was serious for having a detrimental effect on tourism especially as the Japanese were "quality tourists". "

The case is serious because scum that take advantage of vulnerable people need to be put away.  It would be no less serious if he stole the money from some an old Thai woman.

"TV news reported that the case was serious for having a detrimental effect on tourism especially as the Japanese were "quality tourists"."

So it was not serious because it was an assault on a 75 year old female tourist? It was serious because of its "detrimental effect on tourism"

So, if it wasn't in the press/media, it wouldn't have been serious, because nobody would have heard or read about it?

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Always amazed that they bother with these reenactments. If the guys going to reenact it, then he is already saying he's guilty. How else can you reenact something if you hadn't done it? OK well I remember the B2 on Koh Tao directed how to reenact the crime.

Regardless, if you have a confession why waste time with a big troupe of cops and media, blocking traffic and so on. The only reasons I can see is that the people demand this type of theater, or the cops get off on acting like they care about crime.

It’s just the mentality that doesn’t question why something is done or seek advancement. The same mentality that needs childish cartoon noises in poorly acted hammy soaps,low brow comedy shows based exclusively on slap stick, sticking comically large dustbin size exhausts  on even haulage vehicles, imagining the daft noise makes them look cool. You just have to understand that they’re not the sharpest tools in the box. 

Some may accuse me of acting in a superior manner,or snobbishness..or even worse and I’ll accept that,but the underlying issue responsible is the failing education system which has far more damaging implications for the country's future.

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You just do not understand so I will explain it all to you in three simple words.

Photo, Photo, Photo.

Can anyone explain the reason for these 're-enactments'.  As has been said, they are re-enacted with the perpetrator centre stage.  In the west a re-enactment of a crime is usually to jog people's memories and aid in finding the culprit.  A valid reason but why do they do it here.

29 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s just the mentality that doesn’t question why something is done or seek advancement. The same mentality that needs childish cartoon noises in poorly acted hammy soaps,low brow comedy shows based exclusively on slap stick, sticking comically large dustbin size exhausts  on even haulage vehicles, imagining the daft noise makes them look cool. You just have to understand that they’re not the sharpest tools in the box. 

Some may accuse me of acting in a superior manner,or snobbishness..or even worse and I’ll accept that,but the underlying issue responsible is the failing education system which has far more damaging implications for the country's future.

Nobody can accuse me of being superior.  You just cannot accuse someone of something that they were naturally born with.:cheesy:

13 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Can anyone explain the reason for these 're-enactments'.  As has been said, they are re-enacted with the perpetrator centre stage.  In the west a re-enactment of a crime is usually to jog people's memories and aid in finding the culprit.  A valid reason but why do they do it here.

Look at post #13

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I thought someone may have a sensible answer!

Honestly, that is the only reason that they do this in Thailand and it is done quite often and you will always see a big contingent of the police there for the photo's. They know what happened and they have a confession, so there is no need for this re-enactment except for the photo's

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That is the entire point of the re=enactment, they make you re-enact it then later if it comes to a court and judge, they will automatically assume you are guilty. Their logic to this is "If you didn't do it, then why did you show the police what you did?" This is their idea of a fair justice system, and it does not matter one bit if you agreed to perform the re-enactment only after some persuasion and a little help from a plastic bag over your head as a little bit of a carrot.

It stinks to high heaven and god help anyone that gets caught up in the Thai criminal justice system. 

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

"TV news reported that the case was serious for having a detrimental effect on tourism especially as the Japanese were "quality tourists". "

The case is serious because scum that take advantage of vulnerable people need to be put away.  It would be no less serious if he stole the money from some an old Thai woman.

Oh yes. Had it been an old Thai woman, it would not keep the quality tourists away.

I think the 're-enactment' parade harkens back to the day when most of the population could not read so truly did need the open theater to demonstrate the dangers of evil and the power of the police to find and punish the bad guy.

The bad guy gets a dark face and police captain gets a glamorous white and glorious face.  The people, except the farang, love it.

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I agree with you entirely.

Archived