Video re-enactment: Chiang Mai baht bus thief stole 200,000 yen from elderly Japanese woman at knifepoint

rooster59

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I think the 're-enactment' parade harkens back to the day when most of the population could not read so truly did need the open theater to demonstrate the dangers of evil and the power of the police to find and punish the bad guy.

The bad guy gets a dark face and police captain gets a glamorous white and glorious face.  The people, except the farang, love it.

There is a ring of logic/sense in that.  It may well be the root of this pantomime.  However, it's no longer valid today.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:
There he produced a knife and robbed her of 200,000 yen, a camera, credit card and a little over 1,000 baht.
He apologized saying he needed money to pay off a debt. 

But he did apologized, so that makes it all right.

I guess the debt was owing someone yen, baht, camera and a credit card.

LeoTex 

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Always amazed that they bother with these reenactments. If the guys going to reenact it, then he is already saying he's guilty. How else can you reenact something if you hadn't done it? OK well I remember the B2 on Koh Tao directed how to reenact the crime.

Regardless, if you have a confession why waste time with a big troupe of cops and media, blocking traffic and so on. The only reasons I can see is that the people demand this type of theater, or the cops get off on acting like they care about crime.

Cops get off by being photographed.:saai:

20 hours ago, HHTel said:

Can anyone explain the reason for these 're-enactments'.  As has been said, they are re-enacted with the perpetrator centre stage.  In the west a re-enactment of a crime is usually to jog people's memories and aid in finding the culprit.  A valid reason but why do they do it here.

Just in case the villain says he did not do it, it jogs the memory and once s/he has seen how it was done, s/he remembers and then that is proof, isn't it? ;-)

On 1/13/2018 at 10:30 AM, HHTel said:

Can anyone explain the reason for these 're-enactments'.  As has been said, they are re-enacted with the perpetrator centre stage.  In the west a re-enactment of a crime is usually to jog people's memories and aid in finding the culprit.  A valid reason but why do they do it here.

Hoping a movie producer will see talent in pointing ability, Thais love the camera so vain

On 1/13/2018 at 1:58 AM, sambum said:

"TV news reported that the case was serious for having a detrimental effect on tourism especially as the Japanese were "quality tourists"."

So it was not serious because it was an assault on a 75 year old female tourist? It was serious because of its "detrimental effect on tourism"

So, if it wasn't in the press/media, it wouldn't have been serious, because nobody would have heard or read about it?

I guess it's one of those Thailand things, huh?

On 1/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, nchuckle said:

It’s just the mentality that doesn’t question why something is done or seek advancement. The same mentality that needs childish cartoon noises in poorly acted hammy soaps,low brow comedy shows based exclusively on slap stick, sticking comically large dustbin size exhausts  on even haulage vehicles, imagining the daft noise makes them look cool. You just have to understand that they’re not the sharpest tools in the box. 

Some may accuse me of acting in a superior manner,or snobbishness..or even worse and I’ll accept that,but the underlying issue responsible is the failing education system which has far more damaging implications for the country's future.

Stupid Farang.  Not understand big exhaust makes truck more powerful and fast.  Also need "Thailand Diesel Drag" stickers on truck.

Archived