Buy 7-11 Franchise in Thailand

On 1/13/2018 at 2:27 PM, HulkSmash said:

Too many challenges around lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have always wondered why no one ever opened a Taco Bell in Thailand  -  Sunrise Taco's in Bangkok is doing well, now have 4 or 5 locations.  There's every other form of fast food in Thailand - why no Taco Bell - Thais thrive on fast food, where it be Thai or Foreign.   Taco Bell for Thailand!!!!!

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

But just make sure that you really master the Thai language, otherwise you might have some trouble checking your inventory, placing your orders, prepare your daily reports, and deal with the multiple administrations both in writing and in speaking...

Other than that...well...read the posts above, they are all true...

I am mix Thai, ................

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have always wondered why no one ever opened a Taco Bell in Thailand  -  Sunrise Taco's in Bangkok is doing well, now have 4 or 5 locations.  There's every other form of fast food in Thailand - why no Taco Bell - Thais thrive on fast food, where it be Thai or Foreign.   Taco Bell for Thailand!!!!!

This is a very good question. Anyone have any insights?

4 minutes ago, timendres said:

This is a very good question. Anyone have any insights?

Probably no one has bought the franchising license...

Taco Bell is far from being international like KFC, Mc Donald's or Burger King, for example.

There are plenty of other US chains not represented...Denny's, House of Pancakes, Wendy's and so on.

It has been a number of years since I did the research. I believe there is a forum for this as I remember that have past owners and perspective interested buyers like you.
I and my wife was first approached by a representative for 7/11 to be honest not too knowledgeable because the more question I ask the more she started to withdraw. The one thing that stuck to my mind was her statement " you can clear 100,000 a month "
When I did the research and number it just didn't hold up.
As noted today there are 7/11 all over the place, in my research the years back I found there were two types of franchise one can buy?  A&B  the A was the smaller ones buy in 7-8 1.5 million, B, was 2.5 million. They had restriction as the qualification to manager to running the store and if you don't qualify they provide a manager to you. As most franchise they have their rules and rules from what you put in and what is sold.
Today, in Pattaya the stores are getting larger the small ones are slowing being phased out.
I also found out the " 100,000 baht clear is the old old days, if this was possible I would have purchased a half dozen. But the fact is very hard to make you money back in 7-8 years. Thereafter, you have to renew the contract again which means you kick out the lump sum again. You basically have no control since they can open a store just 50 feet away from you and no choice to the location of the store.  Here in Pattaya, two years back I noticed a number of stores closing and renovating the reason was the old franchise owner didn't renew the contract thus the renovation.
I've found depending on the area you can make more money if you purchase land and try to determine where they might open up and rent it to them to open. I know a Thai neighbor who had such a piece of land, 7/11 is giving him 50,000 baht a month for the space?
Personally, you be better off getting a KFC...

Thanks for the reply, very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's not competition from other 7-11's i would worry about so much, never seen 2 within about 100 metres. It is the other competitors, Mini BigC and Tesco Express. Near us, a Mini BigC opened 2 doors away from a 7-11. But even more blatant, a bit out of town, a 7-11 opened and did well. 9 months later , a Tesco Express opened NEXT DOOR. Try and pick a site where the competition doesn't have empty plots to choose from close by.

15 hours ago, rickudon said:

It's not competition from other 7-11's i would worry about so much, never seen 2 within about 100 metres. It is the other competitors, Mini BigC and Tesco Express. Near us, a Mini BigC opened 2 doors away from a 7-11. But even more blatant, a bit out of town, a 7-11 opened and did well. 9 months later , a Tesco Express opened NEXT DOOR. Try and pick a site where the competition doesn't have empty plots to choose from close by.

Then you didn't see much of Thailand yet, especially the situation of a 7/11 at one side of the road, and another one on the other side of the road (so a distance of maybe 20m) is quite common.

Near Sutthisan MRT station, there is an area of maybe 100 by 100 meters in which are four 7/11 and a Tesco Lotus Express

Even here in Udon Thani is a road with a 7/11, about 200m down the road another 7/11, right next to this one a Tesco Lotus Express, then a Drug store, and then another 7/11 (So a distance of maybe 10m between the two 7/11)

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Then you didn't see much of Thailand yet, especially the situation of a 7/11 at one side of the road, and another one on the other side of the road (so a distance of maybe 20m) is quite common.

This actually does make some sense, because majority of customers arrive on motorbike, so they will pick the first 7-Eleven *on their side of the road*. So two 7-Eleven’s opposite each other are probably in less competition than with the 7-Eleven 100 meter down the road (on the same side).

6 hours ago, lkn said:

This actually does make some sense, because majority of customers arrive on motorbike, so they will pick the first 7-Eleven *on their side of the road*. So two 7-Eleven’s opposite each other are probably in less competition than with the 7-Eleven 100 meter down the road (on the same side).

Try and get a space in the ground floor of some a huge  skyscraper condo

People come down in their pyjamas at all times of the day and night and they're too lazy to go a step further than necessary 

11 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Try and get a space in the ground floor of some a huge  skyscraper condo

People come down in their pyjamas at all times of the day and night and they're too lazy to go a step further than necessary 

Usually people like to go to 7/11 because they know what they can expect there.

If the main reason for the people to visit the shop is simply laziness to go a bit further it would probably make more sense to open your own shop and not a franchise, because people would come anyway (as long as you provide the stuff like sandwiches, dishes to microwave and so on)

• 7 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 6:23 PM, Peterw42 said:

I dont know how true the stories are but supposedly there are franchise stores and company stores, if you have a successful franchise store then the Company will open a company store close by.

I asked my thai friend why their were two 7-11 on opposite corners on a quiet street, and she told me the same thing. If its true then you have been warned.

11 hours ago, Tailwagsdog said:

I asked my thai friend why their were two 7-11 on opposite corners on a quiet street, and she told me the same thing. If its true then you have been warned.

It's not quite as evil as you make it sound. 7-11 has a policy that if your store is doing more than a certain volume per day, they will authorize a second store in the area to relieve the traffic. They do this so that customers never have to wait too long for service. It can be either a corporate store or another franchise. It depends on the situation. On busy intersections, it is not unheard of to see 4  stores, one on each corner.

It is a distinction without a difference though. Your maximum growth for any 7-11 has an upper limit. You can not exceed this profit by design.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, rickudon said:

we have a 7-11 in the building next door.  500m to the end of the soi, there are THREE 7-11's at one intersection, one on each side of the soi, one across the road.  there are another 5 within 500m.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 5:23 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I was told that if you want to buy 7/11 you better put 60 hours a week minimum (not something you can do part time) for 30k a month.

And you need a University degree........honest, I looked.

• 9 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, HulkSmash said:

Yes there are more than 10,000.
7-11 stores in Thailand. Achieving the milestone faster pace than japan.
And they have a plan to expand more

I guess that buying a franchise is also depend upon the location itself
Like central Bangkok or (Soi’s in Asok) or something.
Meanwhile I have permanent job and this will be part time. Not sure I will have a time to manage all that emoji4.png
Any idea how much is the average profit we can make from 7-11 franchise , after paying the wages and rental
?
In many places in Thailand you can stand in one spot, turn 360 degrees and count 4 or 5 7-11 stores.  Unlike many franchises 7-11 does not guarantee you a specific territory without more 7-11's competing.  A part time endeavor?  New owners of any franchise especially in areas such as Thailand need to be in place many hours a week and available when away from the store.  Good luck, you're going to need it.  Think about doing a marketing survey of the area to see if there is even a demand for what you are thinking about doing.  And, above all if you do open a 7-11 do not overload your parking area with food vendors.  They may pay you rent but at times your customers will be unable to get to your store.    

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived