retirement in Laguna

keithpa

The problem with areas such as Laguna is that the population is very transient and dominated by tourists so a large turnover of faces.   Foreign homeowners tend to be part year/vacation only, so opportunities to develop long term friendships, which most retirees come to appreciate, are that much more limited.   You may find that further south, say Cherng Talay/Surin would be better for full time retirement.

better have deep pockets JUST for rent.

beach clubs in Bangtao, some good restaurants in the 5 star resorts and at the entrance to Laguna (just opened a kenny rogers- excellent chicken dishes and not expensive) and near Villa market but costly.

Canal village has shops, but mostly tourist stuff so closest head to Central

Phuket is overcrowded in every way - to many from everything including people and traffic, crazy!From traffic jam into traffic jam all south of airport!

Also outside Laguna - you nearly never leave - ok, otherwise, :-( 

If it  has to be the beach nearby, look something else, my opinion.

From pattaya to Laguna ? Two worlds apart, from one extreme to the other. Apart from being very quiet  and expensive, you might die of boredom. Generally Phuket is much more expensive than Pattaya area. 

Terrible traffic jams suffocate the place. I used to love Phuket, and if deciding’ to retire there, would’choose Kata Beach, Surin or Kamala.

you would have to have a car , as there is hardly any public transport and taxis cost a fortune. 

You will need to have a substantial income to stay at the Laguna, Phuket. Personally I think Phuket is vastly overrated and certainly very, very expensive. I had a timeshare at Laguna but gave it up recently because it is so expensive even though my accommodation had been paid for years ago.

15 hours ago, kiniyow said:

Why not move to Ban Saray , Jomtien or Ban Chang?  Phuket is much more expensive then Pattaya or the surrounding area...

Thanks for comm;ents. What is expensive to one bloke aint necessarily expensive to another.

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I doubt your Australian OAP will stretch very far in Laguna.

But, like your other thread, you seem to have achieved your objective of bringing out the Phuket haters from their rice fields.

Part OAP, $60  a week. Correct, it wont go too far. Plus military pension and a few bucks in the bank, I manage. re Phuket haters, it would appear so. Bali, I love visiting there, coulldnt live there, but millions of others hate the place, go figure.

12 hours ago, glasswort said:

You will need to have a substantial income to stay at the Laguna, Phuket. Personally I think Phuket is vastly overrated and certainly very, very expensive. I had a timeshare at Laguna but gave it up recently because it is so expensive even though my accommodation had been paid for years ago.

No offense meant, but, I find it impossible to take the opinion of someone  who bought timeshare seriously.

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

Part OAP, $60  a week. Correct, it wont go too far. Plus military pension and a few bucks in the bank, I manage. re Phuket haters, it would appear so. Bali, I love visiting there, coulldnt live there, but millions of others hate the place, go figure.

Nearly seventy, I haven't bothered applying for the OAP because other pensions and savings put me over the income limits. I can tell you, despite all the scratchers whining about costs in Phuket, that the COL here is less than half than in Perth. (Health insurance a big exception).  With Australian income you can live well here, as long as you don't live like a tourist.

If you were planning to retire in Bali would you be looking at Nusa Dua or a more expat friendly area?

49 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Nearly seventy, I haven't bothered applying for the OAP because other pensions and savings put me over the income limits. I can tell you, despite all the scratchers whining about costs in Phuket, that the COL here is less than half than in Perth. (Health insurance a big exception).  With Australian income you can live well here, as long as you don't live like a tourist.

If you were planning to retire in Bali would you be looking at Nusa Dua or a more expat friendly area?

Nusa Dua is a beautiful place. But, too isolated.

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

My point was it's full of 5 star resorts and upmarket condos just like Laguna. 

Not a common retirement destination for the average bloke.

Just googled it, some nice houses and apartments for around $10,000 a year.

4 hours ago, keithpa said:

Been here 15 years, Phang Nga and Jomtien  .

I meant a place where farangs are "diluted" among the local population rather the other way round.

Farangs living in Jomtien are like Chinese living in Chinatown, San Francisco...technically they are in Thailand, or in the US, but for most purposes they are not really there...

Edited by Brunolem

26 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I meant a place where farangs are "diluted" among the local population rather the other way round.

Farangs living in Jomtien are like Chinese living in Chinatown, San Francisco...technically they are in Thailand, or in the US, but for most purposes they are not really there...

I know what you mean. But  I dont want to live among the locals. Did that in Phang Nga town for 15 months.

18 hours ago, glasswort said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you "give up " your timeshare.   I know in the USA it's nearly harder to dispose of a timeshare than it is to untie the Gordian Knot.

Some timeshares work out better than others.   It's all dependent on the  signed contract.

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you "give up " your timeshare.   I know in the USA it's nearly harder to dispose of a timeshare than it is to untie the Gordian Knot.

Some timeshares work out better than others.   It's all dependent on the  signed contract.

Whats the bet he didnt sell it, just walked away. ( i expect him to deny this now that i have said that).