Foreign couple caught writing graffiti on Koh Lanta - locals outraged

webfact

Foreign couple caught writing graffiti on Koh Lanta - locals outraged

kl1.jpg

Photos showing a young foreign couple spray painting a wall on Koh Lanta have been shared on social media.

The photos, which were shared in the Koh Lanta Info group on Sunday, were reportedly taken on Saturday Jan 13.

The photos appear to show a western man with spray can in hand ‘tagging’ a wall, while his female accomplice stands close by.

A motorcycle can also be seen in the photographs with registration number 9355.

The photos were uploaded with the caption: “These photos were published elsewhere, but I think everyone should know what these people have been doing to this lovely island. They were seen tagging yesterday on Lanta. Name and Shame guys”.

People commenting on on the post were outraged, calling the couple “idoits”, “stupid” and criticising them for “a lack of respect”.

The photos taken on Koh Lanta follow a similar incident that occurred in Bangkok in December when another foreign couple were filmed graffiting an advertising pole on Silom Road.

Footage of the incident went viral was viewed a more than 2 million times.

Police later arrested American couple at a Bangkok hotel, who identified as Bruce Baizer, 29, and Ristin, Joness 22, (names transliterated).

The pair apologised and they were fined 5,000 baht.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-15

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, petermik said:

I have visited Koh Lanta a few times and to be honest the roads/pavements are the worst I have ever encountered anywhere.....graffiti from idiots is the least of their problems :whistling:

graffiti from idiots is the least of their problems

nor should it be, if you are foriegn and can t behave civilly, out you go.   Why should the owner of the wall have to pay to repaint it so 2 idiots from a far wealthier country can have their childish fun.

Sorry for this but this is the time I would like to see five to one odds and them getting the shit beat out of them. I love Thailand and was my home for 32 years so you <deleted> with my home I am gong to bust your ass. They got off easy and they should be happy I was not there, a Marine could cause them serious pain and the Thais would not give a shit if they got a beating.

Kick his ass, he's wearing a stupid shaped baseball cap.  Stick his head in a paper bag and spray some paint in there - he'd probably enjoy it.

Just noticed the nice rear tire on that rented scooter.  They couldn't have fled far.  Who got the picture anyway? 

25 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

graffiti from idiots is the least of their problems

nor should it be, if you are foriegn and can t behave civilly, out you go.   Why should the owner of the wall have to pay to repaint it so 2 idiots from a far wealthier country can have their childish fun.

Yeah, because a little impromptu artwork is such a blight on a mildew stained wall that any self respecting owner would keep maintained and painted.  They've actually done the neighbors a favor if someone now has to go out and paint the dilapidated wall.

I'm not in favor of tagging, mind you.  But neither am I in favor of letting the neighborhood look like a slum 6 months after the construction crew leaves.  Especially when labor is 300 baht a day to keep it painted.  (Edit:  and a few extra baht gets you mildew resistant paint)

Now, if they tag a nicely maintained or historic site, get out the cane.  (or is that somewhere else?)

1 minute ago, isaanbanhou said:

leave your address online please, Ill send someone over to tag your apartment

you can pay to clean the mess up and do your neighbours a favour.

My place is nicely maintained, but thanks anyway. 

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

and perhaps the owner of the wall has spent his wad repainting the other three wall around his property.

or is it only the rich deserve not to be shat on by idiot farang?

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

Sorry for this but this is the time I would like to see five to one odds and them getting the shit beat out of them. I love Thailand and was my home for 32 years so you <deleted> with my home I am gong to bust your ass. They got off easy and they should be happy I was not there, a Marine could cause them serious pain and the Thais would not give a shit if they got a beating.

They sprayed paint on a wall.

They didn't kill or maim anyone.

They deserve punishment yes, but what you advocate is excessive.

12 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

and perhaps the owner of the wall has spent his wad repainting the other three wall around his property.

or is it only the rich deserve not to be shat on by idiot farang?

If they're too poor to maintain the wall, perhaps they shouldn't have built it.  But I'm going to bet they have enough money to spruce it up, but they'd just as soon leave it as a blight on the neighborhood. 

You ever look at a photo of a Euro city with its impeccably maintained 500 year old walls, then walked outside in Thailand and seen their mildew stained 4 month old walls?  Personally, I believe the Thai people deserve better.  Taking it to the next level, maybe people who have taken the effort to maintain their wall would then take issue with the piles of trash that collect in front of their shiny wall.  And that pride is how litter is abated.

But that's getting a little far afield.

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yeah, because a little impromptu artwork is such a blight on a mildew stained wall that any self respecting owner would keep maintained and painted.  They've actually done the neighbors a favor is someone now has to go out and paint the dilapidated wall.  ...

You have got to be frigging kidding me.  Thailand has had mildewed walls around for maybe 5,000 years.  If you are from California, USA, I can see you'd like a bit of modern bling.  If someone tagged my wall outside the house in Loei, I'd be looking for one of my sharp machetes in the garden shed.

1 minute ago, Damrongsak said:

You have got to be frigging kidding me.  Thailand has had mildewed walls around for maybe 5,000 years.  If you are from California, USA, I can see you'd like a bit of modern bling.  If someone tagged my wall outside the house in Loei, I'd be looking for one of my sharp machetes in the garden shed.

And you don't see any correlation between mildewed walls and the filth epitomized by the litter everywhere?  How lack of pride in one leads to lack of effort on the other?

They've been crapping in the river for 5,000 years, too.  But that doesn't mean it's okay with 70 million people doing it.

1 hour ago, isaanbanhou said:

Police later arrested American couple at a Bangkok hotel, who identified as Bruce Baizer, 29, and Ristin, Joness 22, (names transliterated).

Americans, just like the ones caught in BKK and the travelling butt buddies.

i think you miss understood, that sentence is the ones in bkk. these haven't been caught yet

1 minute ago, impulse said:

And you don't see any correlation between mildewed walls and the filth epitomized by the litter everywhere?  How lack of pride in one leads to lack of effort on the other?

They've been crapping in the river for 5,000 years, too.  But that doesn't mean it's okay with 70 million people doing it.

You must have been living in a big city or somewhere fancy.  Yeah, stuff is going downhill in the modern era.  You can't hardly get stuff made well enough to go a hundred years without maintenance.  But even modern stuff can age well and fade into the sunset without <deleted> pissing on it to make their mark.

Just now, isaanbanhou said:

They are disrespectful idiots regardless of where they where birthed, 

I just don t understand trravelling the world to deface it and move on. 

not just that but you'd have thought news of the last idiots doing it might have filtered through to what i assume are back packers community. BiB giving 5000 baht fine and letting them go not an example enough. maybe they should make an example of these 2 to make sure the message gets through to these kids. "don't scrawl shit on our walls or we'll take loads of your travelling money off you and send you sharpish to your next destination after you've cleaned all that crap off"

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

Give me an old mildewed wall any day over that mindless scribble. Anyone who sees that kind of vandalism as "artistic" is as dumb as the "artist".

Archived