Foreign couple caught writing graffiti on Koh Lanta - locals outraged

webfact

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

And you don't see any correlation between mildewed walls and the filth epitomized by the litter everywhere?  How lack of pride in one leads to lack of effort on the other?

They've been crapping in the river for 5,000 years, too.  But that doesn't mean it's okay with 70 million people doing it.

What the Thais do or don't do on their own turf is their business, that doesn't give a visitor the right to spray anything with their mindless, offensive to the eyes, tags.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a bunch (maybe 5-6) young backpackers (Europeans - but it doesn't really matter) spray painting the exterior wall of our condo in BKK - which runs along Khlong Saen Sap. When we approached them and asked them to desist they were really annoyed. 'It's public property' they said. Well no, sorry, it's not and we had just had it painted. It was tagged and spray painted. It wasn't really  to our tastes - but that is not the point. It wasn't theirs to paint. It was our property. When we politely asked them to stop, and we took their photos, they demanded we delete the photos and became very aggressive. One guy said to me " but  Thailand is such a laid-back place. Everyone is so chilled and nobody complains when we do this stuff.' Do'h! Just  because you've been here five minutes and a few people have smiled at you, don't jump to conclusions. Anyway, since they did their stuff the wall is constantly being tagged. It  is a pain in the neck. I'm not for 'hangin' them high' but I think a little respect is in order. Stay at home and do it - or better still do it on your own property.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Yeah, because a little impromptu artwork is such a blight on a mildew stained wall that any self respecting owner would keep maintained and painted.  They've actually done the neighbors a favor if someone now has to go out and paint the dilapidated wall.

I'm not in favor of tagging, mind you.  But neither am I in favor of letting the neighborhood look like a slum 6 months after the construction crew leaves.  Especially when labor is 300 baht a day to keep it painted.  (Edit:  and a few extra baht gets you mildew resistant paint)

Now, if they tag a nicely maintained or historic site, get out the cane.  (or is that somewhere else?)

impromptu artwork "

You might consider it artwork but I think 99% of people would consider it nothing more than vandalism:bah:

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be kicked out of the country, regardless of what country it is, and then permanently banned from ever returning to it. 

I disagree they should be arrested then given 5 days of travelling around the area removing graffiti. 

Then set home with a criminal charge tagged to their passport

Sorry for this but this is the time I would like to see five to one odds and them getting the shit beat out of them. I love Thailand and was my home for 32 years so you  with my home I am gong to bust your ass. They got off easy and they should be happy I was not there, a Marine could cause them serious pain and the Thais would not give a shit if they got a beating.

so, you’d like to see the young lady seriously physically assaulted...... time for some serious self reflection, you’re way out of order.

Sent from my shed using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

Police later arrested American couple at a Bangkok hotel, who identified as Bruce Baizer, 29, and Ristin, Joness 22, (names transliterated).

Americans, just like the ones caught in BKK and the travelling butt buddies.

They are referring to the couple who were caught tagging on Silom, there is no mention of the nationality for the couple on Lanta, the Brits I suspect are either too drunk or hung over for any such strenuous activity. 

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I have visited Koh Lanta a few times and to be honest the roads/pavements are the worst I have ever encountered anywhere.....graffiti from idiots is the least of their problems :whistling:

Agree.  May change now that bridge is finished from Noi to Yai.  Funny tho, I've been there many times and graffiti can be found all about.  Have scores of pics as some is quite good.     

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be kicked out of the country, regardless of what country it is, and then permanently banned from ever returning to it. 

5000 = $160 approx way too light being American they had the opportunity to fine 50,000baht which would have been more the appropriate rate plus the owner could then afford a new wall painted. What a joke! yes i agree kick them out r suffer a strict penalty, this country jus aint got it!!!!!

5 minutes ago, ThaiTrav said:

5000 = $160 approx way too light being American they had the opportunity to fine 50,000baht which would have been more the appropriate rate plus the owner could then afford a new wall painted. What a joke! yes i agree kick them out r suffer a strict penalty, this country jus aint got it!!

These Thai people are just not art lovers as we know it in the west.

Spray-painting a wall is art. Some of these up-in-arms people need to look at their filth-strewn country and stop being so petty.

The spray was green. Everyone knows Thais don't like green.

I say not Americans.  Looks like his left knee was fixed by some free health care system.  She is scary in the face...pre-op, perhaps?  I have battled spray paint vandals before....a message needs to be sent.  5000 THB is nothing for two, weak,  two week millionaires.  They will be in custody within 24 hours.  BiB love this kind of investigation.

1 hour ago, midas said:

impromptu artwork "

You might consider it artwork but I think 99% of people would consider it nothing more than vandalism

I don't even claim to speak for 50% of the people.  Never mind 99%.  (The grumpy expat demographic doesn't come close to 99%, BTW) 

There are examples all over the world where someone has cut out a tagged section of wall and sold it for $$$ big bucks.  So it's apparently not universally scoffed at.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

You have got to be frigging kidding me.  Thailand has had mildewed walls around for maybe 5,000 years.  If you are from California, USA, I can see you'd like a bit of modern bling.  If someone tagged my wall outside the house in Loei, I'd be looking for one of my sharp machetes in the garden shed.

All kidding and baiting aside, you do realize that pulling out an edged weapon and risking your own death -or life in a Thai prison- isn't a very reasonable reaction to someone tagging your wall. 

Right?

Archived