Foreign couple caught writing graffiti on Koh Lanta - locals outraged

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG!!!  I wonder how outraged the Thai community is when they see all the graffiti that is mostly written Thai or Thai gang tags???

BTW.  I personally really like street art, but defacing wall with a can of paint is freaking stupid, especially when it looks like something a 5 year old drew. :biggrin:  Let's see, that should be about a 500 THB fine for a Thai, so with the farang price structure - "5000 THB farangs! Each!"  Of course, wais all around in front of the media will be expected too!

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be kicked out of the country, regardless of what country it is, and then permanently banned from ever returning to it. 

Only after they have removed all traces - using their fingernails -

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, because a little impromptu artwork is such a blight on a mildew stained wall that any self respecting owner would keep maintained and painted.  They've actually done the neighbors a favor if someone now has to go out and paint the dilapidated wall.

I'm not in favor of tagging, mind you.  But neither am I in favor of letting the neighborhood look like a slum 6 months after the construction crew leaves.  Especially when labor is 300 baht a day to keep it painted.  (Edit:  and a few extra baht gets you mildew resistant paint)

Now, if they tag a nicely maintained or historic site, get out the cane.  (or is that somewhere else?)

I have the impression that the caning brigade is out in force again.

Some people obviously cannot discern between vandalism and street art.

Pity the guy was interrupted in his work, it could have looked nice with some white and yellow spot added to that filthy wall.

3 hours ago, missoura said:

I am an American. The culprits were American. So I will try to help them out. Volunteer to get on the sewer cleaning gang from prison. These guys get to go home early...

sewer_007.jpg

That is not a prison gang; prisoners working outside the prison all wear the same identifiable clothing.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

You have got to be frigging kidding me.  Thailand has had mildewed walls around for maybe 5,000 years.  If you are from California, USA, I can see you'd like a bit of modern bling.  If someone tagged my wall outside the house in Loei, I'd be looking for one of my sharp machetes in the garden shed.

So you'd hack someone to death with a sharp machete for writing on your wall. Jesus Christ, what would you do to someone who scrapped your car? Boil them alive in acid?

3 hours ago, impulse said:

And you don't see any correlation between mildewed walls and the filth epitomized by the litter everywhere?  How lack of pride in one leads to lack of effort on the other?

They've been crapping in the river for 5,000 years, too.  But that doesn't mean it's okay with 70 million people doing it.

There is no correlation between the first two and 70 million Thais are not crapping in rivers.

its absolutely amazing that tourists could have so little respect for other peoples property..makes no difference where they come from or that thailand is so dirty anyhow----sure, there are much worse crimes being commited by foreigners, but these people should be heavily fined and b-banned from re-entry into thailand

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

You are?  You'll go all the way to Beijing to just to try to prove your childlike point?

What's childlike, or should I say immature, is that you don't seem to find anything wrong in people defacing somebody else's property.

Always amazes me when you get a pair of idiots, not one alone.  Do they have personal columns online etc where they advertise...

"Hi I am an idiot, 100% genuine idiot guy, 29 yo, seeking genuine female idiot, 20 to 30 yo, to have fun together doing really idiotic things.  Non genuine idiots need not apply."

Give them the birch as they do in Singapore...no graffiti there.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What's childlike, or should I say immature, is that you don't seem to find anything wrong in people defacing somebody else's property.

When the "property" is an extremely ugly wall and the "defacing" is actually less ugly than it was before, then no, I do not, and I can assure you there is nothing immature about that.  What was childlike was your attempt to change my mind with the old, what if it was yours, tired old lame comeback.  Well, if it were mine I would welcome someone who was willing to paint it for free.  Now, go and have a think about what you are getting your knickers all in a twist about, it is just a horrible concrete wall that now has a picture on it, big deal.

4 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Always amazes me when you get a pair of idiots, not one alone.  Do they have personal columns online etc where they advertise...

"Hi I am an idiot, 100% genuine idiot guy, 29 yo, seeking genuine female idiot, 20 to 30 yo, to have fun together doing really idiotic things.  Non genuine idiots need not apply."

Give them the birch as they do in Singapore...no graffiti there.

While Singaporeans remain the least happy people in the world who in their right mind would want to copy anything that they have done?  Anyway, they do have graffiti despite the risk of being spanked.

4 hours ago, missoura said:

I am an American. The culprits were American. So I will try to help them out. Volunteer to get on the sewer cleaning gang from prison. These guys get to go home early...

sewer_007.jpg

American or not you seem to have reading comprehension issues. No indication of this couples nationality is given beyond them being "western".

Its stunning how many people on thaivisa cant read a basic news article correctly. 

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

While Singaporeans remain the least happy people in the world who in their right mind would want to copy anything that they have done?  Anyway, they do have graffiti despite the risk of being spanked.

Gawwwd, there is always one to disagree.  Go scrawl on somebodies wall, it may cheer you up :passifier:

36 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't even claim to speak for 50% of the people.  Never mind 99%.  

You don't speak for anyone apart from yourself.

The guy I was replying to claimed to be speaking for 99% of the people. Pay attention if you're going to pile on...  Or, better yet.  Don't.

Archived