Foreign couple caught writing graffiti on Koh Lanta - locals outraged

webfact

on the other end of the spectrum you have young westerners coming over to Asia and actually doing good volunteer work.  when i was 17 i was able to convince the Peace Corp to let me volunteer one summer even though i did not have my degree just yet

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The December couple in Bangkok weren't British, but I can't see any nationality mentioned for these ?

(I'm British too !).

normally Brits are meant to all crimes, cheatings, drunk driving, bad behaviour anyway....isn't it?

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

that's a different topic altogether though 

Agreed Happy, It is a different topic, I was merely alluding to the fact that they are outraged at graffiti, ( and rightly so ),  yet at the same time have little or no respect for the country they live in........:jap:

28 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

American or not you seem to have reading comprehension issues. No indication of this couples nationality is given beyond them being "western".

Its stunning how many people on thaivisa cant read a basic news article correctly. 

So what part of:   Police later arrested American couple at a Bangkok hotel, who identified as Bruce Baizer, 29, and Ristin, Joness 22, (names transliterated).   did you not understand??  Most of us read the article, not just the Title.

35 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

American or not you seem to have reading comprehension issues. No indication of this couples nationality is given beyond them being "western".

Its stunning how many people on thaivisa cant read a basic news article correctly. 

You are correct. I did misread the article. My advice still stands.

50 minutes ago, malibukid said:

two more reason as to why i left the States

so you wanted to get away from intellectually challenged low competence people in the usa, and be in a place with efficient and organized intellectual overachievers, i completely understand.

so where did you you end up settling?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

When the "property" is an extremely ugly wall and the "defacing" is actually less ugly than it was before, then no, I do not, and I can assure you there is nothing immature about that.  What was childlike was your attempt to change my mind with the old, what if it was yours, tired old lame comeback.  Well, if it were mine I would welcome someone who was willing to paint it for free.  Now, go and have a think about what you are getting your knickers all in a twist about, it is just a horrible concrete wall that now has a picture on it, big deal.

You actually find that graffiti enhancing? Well we know where your taste is located, where the sun don't shine. It seems that you are pretty much alone in not condemning these idiots for their act of vandalism, which says a lot about you. Where does it end, who decides what is an "ugly old wall", you? Would the authorities have the same relaxed attitude to graffiti in Beijing I wonder?

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You actually find that graffiti enhancing? Well we know where your taste is located, where the sun don't shine. It seems that you are pretty much alone in not condemning these idiots for their act of vandalism, which says a lot about you.

They should be tortured, stoned, hanged and then imprisoned. Lifelong. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The pair apologised and they were fined 5,000 baht.

A fine of 5,000 baht isn't going to make any difference to this pair.  They should be made to clean off the graffiti and filmed doing it and then post it for all to see.  It may be art to some but to others it is criminal damage to property.

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

People who do this should be kicked out of the country, regardless of what country it is, and then permanently banned from ever returning to it. 

Fine them and deport them.  Maybe even a couple weeks in prison, but in any case kick them to the curb...

6 minutes ago, 6thST said:

3 strokes of the Cane each... So Dumb! They should have made them repaint the wall too,

Why didn't they seek permission first? Whosever wall it was would have said "yes" no doubt.

Some on TVforum feel that attitude adjustment might be appropriate. I think giving art lessons at a military base would be a good thing.

Don't Thais want to learn anything?

6 minutes ago, speckio said:

why why why? People do stupid shit when they are on vacation for some reason... their brains shut down and they think they can do anything they want because they are on vacation.

Beach? Mountains? Sex? Temples? Nope, spraying weird stuff on other peoples' walls seems to be more fun. What a weird world we live in. 

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You actually find that graffiti enhancing? Well we know where your taste is located, where the sun don't shine. It seems that you are pretty much alone in not condemning these idiots for their act of vandalism, which says a lot about you. Where does it end, who decides what is an "ugly old wall", you? Would the authorities have the same relaxed attitude to graffiti in Beijing I wonder?

Look at the top of the wall, look at that block work that's been added to the top without using a level, a wall could not be less attractive.  The graffiti is just a line drawing, a sketch if you like, it will be looking it's best once coloured.

Archived