New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned

webfact

New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned

By The Nation

red.jpg

file photo

Newly-bought vehicles that carry temporary red license plates will be banned from streets starting in June if a draft law is enacted, the Land Transport Department chief said on Monday.

Sanit Promwong, director general of the Land Transport Department, said a draft law to implement the ban was being reviewed by the Office of the Council of State and would be debated at public hearings as required by Article 77 of the new Constitution.

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.

Currently, new vehicles can be driven for up to 30 days with temporary plates, while the permanent ones are being registered.

Pending the new law's enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said.

He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30336263

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-15

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Why can't the registration be carried out within 1 week after buyer purchases the vehicle? A car not properly registered should not be allowed to leave the showroom.

"He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day." if you believe that.

regards Worgeordie

Just now, isaanbanhou said:

How does anyone know that you have a new car?

It gets harder and harder to have face here

Where I live for sure your neighbors know.. but not others of course. I drive around often on my old motorbike not my car.. the looks i get :P

Pity the Somchais who won't be able to show off their new purchases .. or the ones who try to avoid paying road tax or those who try to delay the registration (for a few years) so they can claim higher reselling price because their car is not that "old" :passifier:

28 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Dollars to donuts, some entrepreneurial Thai will come up with a way to make money filling that niche. 

Then 3 months later, there will be 100,000 people doing exactly the same business, and none of them will make any money.

I think the headline is confusing: red plates are not going to be banned, no---they are only be valid for 30 days now??

Total chaos and confusion is the norm as usual.

I was told that the red plates can only be converted to permanent plates when the car dealership pays for the vehicle in full and all sales taxes.

1 hour ago, isaanbanhou said:

Everyone will be going to Bangkok to register their cars as the registration numbers include a number at the front. Though when that number indicates that the car is aging a little I'm not quite sure what will happen.

58 minutes ago, robblok said:

Car dealers wont be happy, this means they can't hold on the money of the client longer but have to pay the taxes faster. It never really was the transport department alone, it was both.

True and it wasn't a universal, across the board sort of latency. Some dealers and regional rego offices were on the ball already.

I think this is another indicator of the good stuff that the current administration is doing; clearing out the traditional venues of low-order corruption and associated under-performance. I am by no means a supporter of this or any military regime and some will invariably cry at the much more significant, ongoing and openly corrupt practices that still seem to get a free pass. You got to start somewhere and the tightening up and enforcement of existing legislation in lieu of the usual backhanders for special privileges and punishing under-performance is a good thing IMHO.

23 minutes ago, hstew said:

I think the headline is confusing: red plates are not going to be banned, no---they are only be valid for 30 days now??

I was told that the red plates can only be converted to permanent plates when the car dealership pays for the vehicle in full and all sales taxes.

Correct. It is simply enforcement of laws and regulations already in place. The slow-motion dealerships will be taking a big hit and will have to find other ways to augment their revenue streams.

The way I see it, there's a wholesale clean up going on in Thailand's personal and business tax aisles at the moment.

The Land Transport Office seems to be one of the few institutions that works well. I was in doing my road tax the other day and the lady was processing an applicant about every 30 seconds. I can also go into any office in the country and renew the tax ( I did it outside Chiang Mai once) but still have to do a 90 day report at the local Immigration Office (don't start about online reporting!).

If the LTO can have it systems interlinked why can't Imm? I have to plan trips around the reports- in this day and age its archaic.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

So Thailand joins the 20th century with vehicle registrations. 

Will believe it when I see it.

:cheesy::cheesy: You gotta be kidding me..... :cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, isaanbanhou said:

No,..... it gets very hard, if you can't drive your car for 30 days or more, just to wait for the license plate......  or did I miss something........  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My last new vehicle registration took 5 months. This was in 2017. The litany of excuses from the dealer, the dealership's Head Office and the Land Transport Department was imaginative, comical and eclectic. I thought it was funny. I would not have been laughing if the police had confiscated my vehicle in that 5 months for something over which I had no control.

3 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

:cheesy::cheesy: You gotta be kidding me..... :cheesy::cheesy:

No,..... it gets very hard, if you can't drive your car for 30 days or more, just to wait for the license plate......  or did I miss something........  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My wife loved the red plate,   I think she left it on later than allowed.   

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

Why can't the registration be carried out within 1 week after buyer purchases the vehicle? A car not properly registered should not be allowed to leave the showroom.

"He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day." - I think that answers your question?

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So Thailand joins the 20th century with vehicle registrations. 

Will believe it when I see it.

Actually can be done, once you have all the documents required ready. i did it myself and got it the next day when i got a new imported car several months ago.

2 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

Don't worry, they will find a solution for that....maybe leave the pricestickers on it for some months, or the plastic on the seats or windscreen.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day." if you believe that.

regards Worgeordie

Yeah its  just he didnt  say "which"  day, Id  suggest February 29th ( its  lucky you know)

1 hour ago, hstew said:

Not confusing! It states that 30 days is the current rule which of course is totally ignored in most cases.

The new rule is this

"He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven."

It remains to be seen how well that will be enforced!

Archived