Passengers complain of overcharging taxis at Mor Chit bus terminal

webfact

Passengers complain of overcharging taxis at bus terminal

By The Nation

e035b22352a6c8ab5b7e97cd9eaeefc3.jpeg

Photo from @queentogetherisone Facebook page.

A female passenger has complained on a popular Facebook page that taxi drivers at Mor Chit bus terminal are exploiting the long queues to try to overcharge passengers by refusing to use their meters.

The complaint was posted at about 9.30pm on Sunday on the @queentogetherisone page, which posts public complaints.

It drew more than 8,800 reactions and was shared more than 400 times in just one hour.

The post showed passengers queueing for taxis at the terminal, while the unnamed woman recounted in her post how a man in non-taxi uniform approached the long queue to shop for passengers.

He asked the woman where she wanted to go and then shouted to another person going to the same place: “Do you want to travel together? We'll charge Bt350 each,” the woman quoted the man as saying.

She said another taxi driver spoke to a woman in the queue, who walked after him but returned soon after, saying that her had refused to use his meter.

The woman complained in the post that passengers had been left to wait in three queues with no officials on hand to manage the situation, allowing some taxi drivers to take advantage of those who could not wait until it was their turn.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336264

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-15

Wow, they just figured this out?

This has been happening for at least 6 years already (when i came there regularly). The taxi's parked there use fixed prices and the guy approaching you when you are halfway the queue works for them.

Just say no and keep waiting in the queue till you get your regular taxi.

Normally there are 3-5 staff working there (flashlight plus portable speaker) to point people in the right taxi, reaffirm the taxi knows where to go, speed up the process, help with bags, and keep order. 

30 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Wow, they just figured this out?

This has been happening for at least 6 years already (when i came there regularly). The taxi's parked there use fixed prices and the guy approaching you when you are halfway the queue works for them.

Just say no and keep waiting in the queue till you get your regular taxi.

Normally there are 3-5 staff working there (flashlight plus portable speaker) to point people in the right taxi, reaffirm the taxi knows where to go, speed up the process, help with bags, and keep order. 

Probably known for a long time but it takes social media to put things in the spotlight. Too bad many things are never followed up and remain the same forever.  Taxi drivers should be fined for not using their meter, if you agree to ba taxi driver you agree to the price set by the government. I try to avoid taxi's as much as i can even drive myself with the bike or car just because i got sick of the overcharging. Its not about money at all but about getting ripped off.

It´s something for Mr. Big!

Really, how hard can it be. You drive a taxi, and are told you have to use the meter, you can not overcharge and not refuse a customer.
Seems like the learning curve is going to stay a curve and never be a complete circle.

Ah there it goes. I had exactly the same suspicion.
Following background: During the new years holiday I arrived from Korat at about 8pm at Mo Chit. No need to queue up. Not what I had expected. Few days later during afternoon of the 8 January I arrived again from another trip. Long queues (3 and already outside the building). Absolutely not understandable...
And at this time I talked to my friend already that there must be something fishy. We luckily ended up with getting a metered taxi just outside the bus terminal.
But before have been approached by at least 10 taxi and tuk tuk drivers.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

It´s something for Mr. Big!

Really, how hard can it be. You drive a taxi, and are told you have to use the meter, you can not overcharge and not refuse a customer.
Seems like the learning curve is going to stay a curve and never be a complete circle.

what learning ??

Archived