Tell it to the judge: US tourist says he stole Chiang Mai rental car "while sleep walking"

Jonathan Fairfield

Tell it to the judge: US tourist says he stole Chiang Mai rental car "while sleep walking"

s.jpg

Image: Sanook

A US tourist has told Thai police that he stole a rental car while he was asleep.

He had no idea what he was doing as he drove 30 kilometers out of town this morning having two scrapes, he claimed.

The timber yard worker - named only as Jarred - said it happens to him all the time, he's not responsible.

He will have to tell that to the judge - his offer to compensate the rental company for their losses cannot settle a criminal offence, reported Sanook

The drama began early this morning, Monday, when owner Withaya arrived at his Tha Pae rental company to discover that a Honda City car had been stolen. While cleaning was taking place the day before staff had inadvertently left the keys in the ignition overnight.

Police were contacted and after 191 radioed ahead the suspect was soon found driving near the Sri Bun Reuang intersection in Mae Rim.

Despite being asleep the suspect was able to realize the officials wanted him and he fled the scene starting a "sleep run" but was soon rounded up.

Jarred said that whenever he is stressed he will fall asleep. "It happens all the time," he continued,"and while I am asleep I can do the oddest things. Just like this, you see, I had no idea that I had stolen a vehicle and driven it off".

About the damage to the front and back of the Honda he added: "I have no idea what I hit. Don't worry - I'll pay for everything".

As he was taken away his final comment was:

"I'm not on drugs". 

Immigration found out that he had arrived in Thailand three days ago in Bangkok and traveled to Chiang Mai where he had been for two nights at a hotel near the rental shop in Moon Muang road Muang district. 

Police believe the theft happened at between 6 and 7am.

They said that the American worked in a timber yard and that the US consulate in Chiang Mai has been informed. 

Jarred was detained ahead of prosecution for theft.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-15

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he wont be able to wander too far off from his new sleeping quarters will he? I feel that scaling walls in your sleep could prove fairly tough.

I will laugh pretty hard if he manages to bring evidence a Thai court believes if his condition is genuine mind.

s.jpg.2085c5e4de63a6f07010a80f9e70aa7f.jpg
Image: Sanook

A US tourist has told Thai police that he stole a rental car while he was asleep.

He had no idea what he was doing as he drove 30 kilometers out of town this morning having two scrapes, he claimed.

The timber yard worker - named only as Jarred - said it happens to him all the time, he's not responsible.

He will have to tell that to the judge - his offer to compensate the rental company for their losses cannot settle a criminal offence, reported Sanook

The drama began early this morning, Monday, when owner Withaya arrived at his Tha Pae rental company to discover that a Honda City car had been stolen. While cleaning was taking place the day before staff had inadvertently left the keys in the ignition overnight.

Police were contacted and after 191 radioed ahead the suspect was soon found driving near the Sri Bun Reuang intersection in Mae Rim.

Despite being asleep the suspect was able to realize the officials wanted him and he fled the scene starting a "sleep run" but was soon rounded up.

Jarred said that whenever he is stressed he will fall asleep. "It happens all the time," he continued,"and while I am asleep I can do the oddest things. Just like this, you see, I had no idea that I had stolen a vehicle and driven it off".

About the damage to the front and back of the Honda he added: "I have no idea what I hit. Don't worry - I'll pay for everything".

As he was taken away his final comment was:

"I'm not on drugs". 

Immigration found out that he had arrived in Thailand three days ago in Bangkok and traveled to Chiang Mai where he had been for two nights at a hotel near the rental shop in Moon Muang road Muang district. 

Police believe the theft happened at between 6 and 7am.

They said that the American worked in a timber yard and that the US consulate in Chiang Mai has been informed. 

Jarred was detained ahead of prosecution for theft.

tvn_logo.jpg&key=c0462a795211d2ee26e4aec14494dc36e676f591189aadad96b38e269ae09239 -- [emoji767] Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-15
Not safe to be out alone in the US let alone travelling internationally.
How does he get a driving licence with that sort of mental disability?

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

his offer to compensate the rental company for their losses cannot settle a criminal offence

Since when did real dough, become so ugly? :cheesy:

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I wish him good luck with that! It´s a really good one. though.

If his story is true, it should not be that difficult to get doctors reports from USA to confirm his malady. One would think he might have seen a doctor about this problem at some time in his life. Considering driving skills on Thai roads, I would assume many other drivers are asleep at the wheel

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

his offer to compensate the rental company for their losses cannot settle a criminal offence, reported Sanook

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:........Come off it Sanook..........A basket of chicken essence can settle threatening with a deadly weapon, or a road rage, or assault......all criminal offences........Oh, sorry, forgot the Wai too.

my advise is to stay home the next time you want to leave the USA. Remember buddy your not in the USA. You are in a foreign country. you have the right to come but with your problem (I do it all the time) you should have sense not to come or bring friends to 'protect' you. Bottom-line: your stupid and a criminal. That is all.

Wonder if he was ACTUALLY on something. My older sister had a habit of sleep walking among other things while she was on Ambien. She's actually  driven her car while on it and damn near ran into a parked car. Another time she made a full meal, and had no memory of it, much to mine and her husbands delight. Came home after working a graveyard shift to find baked chicken, veggies and rice cooked lol

15 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Not safe to be out alone in the US let alone travelling internationally.
How does he get a driving licence with that sort of mental disability?

Who said he had a license? Besides, he’s from America, home of crazy defenses like “eating too much sugar made me do it” and other nonsense excuses that ultimately got defendants off. It’s a reflex!

Archived