Tell it to the judge: US tourist says he stole Chiang Mai rental car "while sleep walking"

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" his offer to compensate the rental company for their losses cannot settle a criminal offence", reported Sanook. 

That's strange as it seems to happen quite often,especially if influential,HiSo,can get away

with a lot after paying compensation.

regards Worgeordie

I'm an insomniac, sleep walk from time to time, and do some stupid stuff after certain amount of days without any sleep, so it's not too "outlandish" for me to think that his defence could have been plausible. Looking at the video it just seems the guy was intoxicated, had poor judgement, crashed the car and tried to escape accountability - so :sorry: I think his story is bullcrap.

16 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Not safe to be out alone in the US let alone travelling internationally.
How does he get a driving licence with that sort of mental disability?

Where does it say he had a drivers license?

13 hours ago, kartman said:

The Judge will believe him providing he can prove he sleep drove everywhere in the righthand lane.( that lots of Thaidrivers were there with him should not prejudice his case)

Actually here is a good point.  In Thailand they drive on the left, the same as in most sensible countries, so if this guy was sleep driving and he is from the USA shouldn't he have been sleep driving on the wrong side of the road?:cheesy:

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Crazy story.. i think the Thai judge will believe him as much as I believe him.......... 

It makes a pleasant difference from the usual plethora of murders, suicides, road rage, the state of Thai male ego, etc. Like a breath of fresh air...

13 hours ago, r136dg said:

He must have some kind of disorder. You have to be freakin nuts to even think of pulling off a story like that. 

I disagree, it is original and likely to find favour with the judge, "BRILLIANT, never heard that one before, give him a 75% reduction" 

Even the farang tourist coming here now are the bottom of the barrel. Had one this morning walk in front of me and the scooter, lucky for him going slow. I have to ask do you steal cars at home, do you walk into the road without looking at home,do you walk in the middle of the road at home. Dumb and dumber come to Thailand

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

If his story is true, it should not be that difficult to get doctors reports from USA to confirm his malady. One would think he might have seen a doctor about this problem at some time in his life. Considering driving skills on Thai roads, I would assume many other drivers are asleep at the wheel

Thanks for giving me a much broader understanding about the traffic conditions in this country. :smile:
That must mean that there actually ain´t any problem with driving education. It´s just that people must be awake during the lessons. :cheesy:

28 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Thanks for giving me a much broader understanding about the traffic conditions in this country. :smile:
That must mean that there actually ain´t any problem with driving education. It´s just that people must be awake during the lessons. :cheesy:

We used to only worry about Drink Drivers, now have Sleep Drivers to contend with  =  God help us all.

Archived