Tell it to the judge: US tourist says he stole Chiang Mai rental car "while sleep walking"

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understand why so many here have such closed minds.

I have it on great authority that Yingluck sleep walked right out of Thailand all the way to London where she bumped in to another young Thai chap with lots of family money that has been sleep walking for years.

Did some minimal research: " Symptoms of sleepwalking disorder range from simply sitting up in bed and looking around, to walking around the room or house, to leaving the house and even driving long distances." (Added underline). Sleep deprivation may have an influence, according to article, which sounds about right for male tourists here. https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/abnormal-sleep-behaviors/sleepwalking

15 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Did some minimal research: " Symptoms of sleepwalking disorder range from simply sitting up in bed and looking around, to walking around the room or house, to leaving the house and even driving long distances." (Added underline). Sleep deprivation may have an influence, according to article, which sounds about right for male tourists here. https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/abnormal-sleep-behaviors/sleepwalking

I have heard about this too.. however how likely is that this guy has that disorder. Normally as far as I know they do things they always do like their routine... getting in a strange car is not really routine.. but I am no expert.

Plus it makes for one hell of an excuse. 

5 hours ago, thaichiro said:

Who said he had a license? Besides, he’s from America, home of crazy defenses like “eating too much sugar made me do it” and other nonsense excuses that ultimately got defendants off. It’s a reflex!

Those defenses only work for wealthy individuals. Like the Texas teen that was sentenced to probation after being convicted of DUI alcohol killing several people. The judge agreed his wealth was a mental disadvantage. 

21 hours ago, robblok said:

Crazy story.. i think the Thai judge will believe him as much as I believe him.......... 

The "Sleep Run" nailes the coffin....:coffee1:

Despite being asleep the suspect was able to realize the officials wanted him and he fled the scene starting a "sleep run" but was soon rounded up

-----------------------------------------

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have heard about this too.. however how likely is that this guy has that disorder. Normally as far as I know they do things they always do like their routine... getting in a strange car is not really routine.. but I am no expert.

Plus it makes for one hell of an excuse. 

When I was a teen I had a foster brother that would sleep walk, always to the den where he would pee on the TV. 

We are reaching a greater understanding of the workings of the human brain and varying levels of consciousness and that make people do things like includes sleep-walking etc. Current halucinagenic drugs make for delusiary and altered personalities. 

38 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Ever driven a car long distance then suddenly you cannot remember travelling the last 200k's ~, happens to me quite often, there might be some merit in what he's claiming..

You are talking about self-hypnosis - thats something else...;)

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I might have scoffed at this story but just last week I had listened to this BBC Podcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09h34y9

I have just listened to this program and I have found it very interesting but one of the things that it has shown me is that it is not only the yanks stealing your car in the night that we have to worry about but those poms are doing the same things as well and also having sex with women in their sleep. It is now going to be a case of lock your car keys up away from the yanks and the poms and also lock your wife up away from the poms.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Well the story has changed already according to the other thread that started up recently:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1020559-us-man-arrested-for-opportune-car-theft/

Now it wasn't a rental company (and didn't appear to be anyways in the original story) and no mention of "sleep walking" or "sleep driving". 

"Once in custody, Goldston refused to answer any questions and claimed he was feeling dizzy. Police suspected drug abuse and have contacted the US Consulate Chiang Mai for further assistance and prosecution."

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The cops could only have picked him out in Thai traffic by the licence number. He would fit right in otherwise - most Thai drivers are asleep at the wheel, particularly at traffic lights.

RE - most Thai drivers are asleep at the wheel, particularly at traffic lights.

Good point, maybe an idea to change the trafic lights With a sound similar to Tunguska...

Archived