American/Russian drug dealing couple arrested on Koh Phangan

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, impulse said:

$16,000 worth of drugs and $6000 in cash sounds more like a hobbyist than a major drug trafficker, especially when $$$ millions cross through Thailand every week (every day?) unfettered by law enforcement efforts.

No where does it say they were major drug traffickers. Apparently they were small-time street level dealers, who probably made a decent living and fueled their own drug habits. 

Impulse and boomerang,

Good to see some intelligent comments from you guys among the hypocritical, uninformed, "war on drugs" pathetic mentality of most responders. The lack of even trying to understand "these people" and having "no sympathy" for them shows me that such people are, in fact, just like the people they accuse - idiots. Of course, the people who were caught, if they were "idiots," then that very fact implies that incarceration is NOT appropriate.

But to understand that requires too much thinking for the simpletons here.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Booze has more people addicted, and rips apart more families.  So do the laws that criminalize victimless behavior, tossing family members in jail and ruining any chance that they'll ever be able to find a decent job.  Ever.

Alcohol, and the very addictive health destroying tobacco are not illegal. Therefore they are more readily available and can be consumed legally albeit with certain restrictions.

If all drugs were legal, as many users of illegal substances lobby for, then how long would it take for those drugs to have more addicts with mental and/or physical health ruined?

You might not like it, but certain drugs are illegal and supplying them carries harsh penalties for those criminals who deal in them. People who knowingly flout laws commit a crime. 

1 hour ago, rdhowell said:

Impulse and boomerang,

Good to see some intelligent comments from you guys among the hypocritical, uninformed, "war on drugs" pathetic mentality of most responders. The lack of even trying to understand "these people" and having "no sympathy" for them shows me that such people are, in fact, just like the people they accuse - idiots. Of course, the people who were caught, if they were "idiots," then that very fact implies that incarceration is NOT appropriate.

But to understand that requires too much thinking for the simpletons here.

So you have sympathy for two criminals who make money be selling illegal substances. And do you think they are careful to only sell to responsible adults who can afford to buy; or just sell to anyone who has the money?

Drug pushers are criminals, end of. And pretending some imagined "deep understanding" is a nonsensical imagined delusion.

“Also last week, soldiers from an army division in Surat Thani used Article 44 to shut down two pubs after they were found selling drug to foreign tourists.

Colonel Kriangkrai Srirak, deputy commander of the Fifth Infantry Division, said he invoked Article 44 to order the indefinite closure of Reggae Bar and Bello Bar on Haad Rin Beach, The Nation reported”.

Worrying… Colonel Kriangkrai Srirak claims that he invoked Article 44….. I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that only General Politician Prayut Chan-o-cha had the power to invoke Article Section 44.

Here in Thailand, it is much the same as in the US. If the government does not benefit from the drug trade, you are vulnerable, and will more than likely be brought down. Only here it extends to the local police too. They make a fortune off the drug trade, both in terms of direct participation, and bribes after they arrest people for as little as one joint. It is an abomination. All drugs should be legalized worldwide, in my opinion. Especially the minor ones like ganga.

1. To determine whether these two deserve sympathy, one would need to know much more than was said/published. But what makes them "criminals" is determined by "law." NOT by right vs. wrong. 

2. "Drug pushers are criminals, end of." Yet did you see them pushing? No. Did someone actually ASK? Much more likely. But again, being a "criminal" has nothing to do with right vs. wrong. So that statement is meaningless.

3. Nonsensical to you and like-minded. Yet the (Thai government) itself has recently admitted that incarceration is not the solution and is working to change at least some things.

But your mind is made up despite any and all facts about this. So be it.

In the West, however, people are beginning to realize how complicated these issues really are, and simply throwing people in jail does nothing but destroy more lives, and the drug selling/using continues.

The point some here we're making is that mere criminalization/incarceration misses the point. Entirely.

21 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

200,000 baht in cash was also confiscated,...............Wonder Who got That ???

The real amount will not be published. The reported 200,000 is just enough to make it sound like a big bust.

As for sympathy, do you know what kind of lives these people were made to live through? Abuse during childhood? Parents who were dealers and they were themselves "pushed" into the business? Mental disorders?

I will say to you and everyone else rushing to judgement: 

If you had all of the life circumstances happen to you as might have happened to these two whom you despise, it might be YOU facing prison bars without sympathy.

"End of."

25 minutes ago, rdhowell said:

1. To determine whether these two deserve sympathy, one would need to know much more than was said/published. But what makes them "criminals" is determined by "law." NOT by right vs. wrong. 

2. "Drug pushers are criminals, end of." Yet did you see them pushing? No. Did someone actually ASK? Much more likely. But again, being a "criminal" has nothing to do with right vs. wrong. So that statement is meaningless.

3. Nonsensical to you and like-minded. Yet the (Thai government) itself has recently admitted that incarceration is not the solution and is working to change at least some things.

But your mind is made up despite any and all facts about this. So be it.

In the West, however, people are beginning to realize how complicated these issues really are, and simply throwing people in jail does nothing but destroy more lives, and the drug selling/using continues.

The point some here we're making is that mere criminalization/incarceration misses the point. Entirely.

I would have thought that these two knew exactly what they were doing and the consequences..Yes they gambled with stuff and lost...To me they look like a couple of junkies making money to feed their habit..

5 hours ago, rdhowell said:

As for sympathy, do you know what kind of lives these people were made to live through? Abuse during childhood? Parents who were dealers and they were themselves "pushed" into the business? Mental disorders?

I will say to you and everyone else rushing to judgement: 

If you had all of the life circumstances happen to you as might have happened to these two whom you despise, it might be YOU facing prison bars without sympathy.

"End of."

Tosh........

13 minutes ago, transam said:

I would have thought that these two knew exactly what they were doing and the consequences..Yes they gambled with stuff and lost...To me they look like a couple of junkies making money to feed their habit..

Junkies feeding their habit, yes perhaps so. Which implies they were "addicts", and by extension, therefore probably NOT thinking very clearly! As such, rehabilitation should be the first thing to focus on, whether incarceration or not. You make the point exactly, though perhaps without realizing it. So that comment is much more well thought-out than many others here.?

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Cant be bothered to google.

What is MDA??

Yes, there is MDA, but it's so good it doesn't reach the street.  MDA was very popular back in the '70s.  I was told that it is 20% Speed, 20% Cocaine, 20% Mescaline, 20% Heroin and 20% something else I can't remember.  It was well worth your effort to go out and get it. 

39 minutes ago, rdhowell said:

Junkies feeding their habit, yes perhaps so. Which implies they were "addicts", and by extension, therefore probably NOT thinking very clearly! As such, rehabilitation should be the first thing to focus on, whether incarceration or not. You make the point exactly, though perhaps without realizing it. So that comment is much more well thought-out than many others here.?

Rehabilitation yes easy 10 year in monkey house 

Drug dealers are scumbags

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

When they do a good job, it´s not nessessary to bash, without proper facts.

The locals have nothing to do with this story, this time. No need to bash here or bring them into the discussion either. If you don´t like the locals, you will have a big problem in every country you choose to reside in or visit.

I guess they do what they can. Look at other countries. The big fish always stays on top there too. As for me, I see this as a progress in the right direction. I also see it as a quite big bust and are happy to have these person out of their business.

Regarding the american, it looks like he have been using quite a lot too. Or maybe he just need to visit a toilet. 

"Regarding the american, it looks like he have been using quite a lot too. Or maybe he just need to visit a toilet."

Seems rather strange to say this when in your post you denigrate people who bash without knowing all the facts. Whilst I have no sympathy for these drug pushers, I suggest you refrain from looking like 'a pot calling the kettle black'.

43 minutes ago, 9KPhalak said:

Yes, there is MDA, but it's so good it doesn't reach the street.  MDA was very popular back in the '70s.  I was told that it is 20% Speed, 20% Cocaine, 20% Mescaline, 20% Heroin and 20% something else I can't remember.  It was well worth your effort to go out and get it. 

Might be worth your effort.

I'll stick to a couple of glasses wine and a GT now and then.

I can buy my months supply of wine etc without the risk of getting banged up for years. Plus, I'm happy where my mind is and can enjoy life even without the wine etc.

2 hours ago, joebrown said:

"Regarding the american, it looks like he have been using quite a lot too. Or maybe he just need to visit a toilet."

Seems rather strange to say this when in your post you denigrate people who bash without knowing all the facts. Whilst I have no sympathy for these drug pushers, I suggest you refrain from looking like 'a pot calling the kettle black'.

Strange? I think you got that one a little bit wrong. Bashing has it´s time, and I certainly bash on stupid and guilty people. That was not the case in my comments on other members comments.

People that uphold the law and catch criminals is not worth any bashing.

Bashing the locals when the news ain+t about them? Then they are not worth that. They are not in the news.

My third comment had nothing with bashing or not basing to do.

Regarding my comment it was pointing on the persons in the news and the guilty persons. Then I will definitely agree on basing.

Maybe you see the differens now, otherwise it´s time to read up on understanding capabilities.

7 hours ago, gjoo888 said:
On 1/15/2018 at 7:25 PM, impulse said:

$16,000 worth of drugs and $6000 in cash sounds more like a hobbyist than a major drug trafficker, especially when $$$ millions cross through Thailand every week (every day?) unfettered by law enforcement efforts.

No where does it say they were major drug traffickers. Apparently they were small-time street level dealers, who probably made a decent living and fueled their own drug habits. 

Apparently, you didn't read the part of the OP that I quoted.  Here's a mulligan:

Police described the couple as major drug traffickers and had been dealing MDMA and other drugs to tourists on Koh Phangan. 

But do try to keep up.  The effort is appreciated.

An off topic trolling post has been removed.

A post containing a link to the Bangkok Post and the reply has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

12 hours ago, Roymac said:

The really sad part are the persons who get hooked and have their lives wrecked by those pushing drugs. Families, lives and relationships ruined !

Are you talking about alcoholics and Seagrams?

11 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Long time in monkey house good 

I hate drugs 

Good work to the army thank you 

But where this 2 idiots buy it from?? 

You hate drugs?  Do you drink beer or liquor?

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Alcohol, and the very addictive health destroying tobacco are not illegal. Therefore they are more readily available and can be consumed legally albeit with certain restrictions.

If all drugs were legal, as many users of illegal substances lobby for, then how long would it take for those drugs to have more addicts with mental and/or physical health ruined?

You might not like it, but certain drugs are illegal and supplying them carries harsh penalties for those criminals who deal in them. People who knowingly flout laws commit a crime. 

If all recreational drugs were legal, then several things could happen.....

>>>  big time drug pushers like Pablo Escobar and El Chapo would be put out of business, or at least wouldn't be making tens of millions of $$'s/yr.

>>>  drugs would be cleaner.  Needles wouldn't as likely spread AIDS

>>>  Abusers could be dealt with by social workers and medical professionals, instead of thrown in prison.

Note:  Pharma drugs kill more people than all illegal drugs combined.

Alcohol kills more than all illegal drugs

Which is more harmful: Pharma or alcohol?  I don't know, but individually, they're more harmful than illegal drugs.

10 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Worrying… Colonel Kriangkrai Srirak claims that he invoked Article 44….. I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that only General Politician Prayut Chan-o-cha had the power to invoke Article Section 44.

Order was done using article 44 to crack down on drug dealers,they are following an order from the top. 

It's not like the war on drugs 13 years ago, when people got killed without trial. 

Archived