Thinking of the Canon M5

I am considering getting a new camera this year, now that the mirrorless cameras are beyond the introductory phase. I haven't kept up at all with what's available. But I wandered into a camera shop today and saw the Canon M5. Apparently it is their top end mirrorless, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I have been a Canon guy ever since they came out with the first useful digital SLRs Before that I was all Nikon. But I guess I am also at a crossroad with regards to lenses, seeing as though the M lenses are different than my EF. At least I think I would have to get new lenses.

So if I am no longer married to Canon, perhaps it is time to play the field a bit?

Anyone have any advice about a new the new mirrorless picture boxes.

One of the benefits of mirrorless is the compactness. The ef lenses, along with the adaptor, will negate that. 

Don't just purchase based on reviews. Go down and play with a working camera. 

The FujiFilm line is very popular. But, when I used my neighbor's for a day, I found setting it to my liking quite convoluted. 

I have an M5 and although it produces some good quality images and the touchscreen interface is well implemented, I do find it a bit fiddly to use, however not nearly so bad as the Sony A6300 or 6500.  Go and play as Curt1591 says, it's the only way to get a good idea of what will suit you in the long term.  BTW the EF and EF-S lenses work very well with the M5 - I was in the same boat as you with a lot of investment in glass.

Archived