Need advice about 11 yr olds education

Binden

Hi all,i would just like some feedback about educating my 11 yr old daughter in bk,,not International school.I'm from england,my girls half thai,single dad whom she lives with.We have a really great lifestyle in bk,and dont want to return to uk(50).Cold expensive,miserable grey skies etc..The thing is im really worried about her education,shes in an english programme and speaks thai as well as english very good.I just know the english standard is nothing like an english school..Next term will do 1 more yr p6,so afterwards its matayom which gets more serious.I'm  only a teacher myself and will find it impossible to send her to international school,so i just want to explore other options to avoid going back to uk life,after 15 years in thailand.Any feedback much appreciated.Thankyou

After teaching for 10 years in Thai schools, my advice to you is have her educated in the UK.  You're doing her no favours by keeping her here just because you like the lifestyle.  

Your choice; nice lifestyle for you or a proper education for your daughter.

Ask her what she’s interested in and ‘teach’ her yourself when she’s not doing school work.

It doesn’t matter what the subject is as long as she’s motivated, if you can develop her study skills, she’ll excel in school.

A little research or an MOOC will steer you onto the right path.

I home educate my son through an online program, he is 7 year old. At the moment using www.education.com which is American based system, which is fine except that they use imperial mesurement and dollars & cents for currency.

I will change to a different system for next term, probably based on UK system. There are lots at different systems on offer at varying costs.

Plus he has 2 music lessons per week also, a Thai teacher comes in twice a week to teach Thai language and culture.

Best of luck, plus I hope(not) my English is good enough ?

Look at her doing iGCSE instead of a Thai EP.

Can study privately at different centers.

iGCSE is seen a equivalent to the Thai M6 certificate, even though she will get it at around 16. 

Many Chinese families do it this way. They can enter Thai university when finished (earlier than Thais doing the M6 in a Thai school/EP).

Allows them to start on their master's degree at age 20, or take a year or two out to travel at age 20 with their BA Degree already behind them.

iGCSE in private centers is the way. Good social group and (future) networking too. 

My son has studied at a great alternative learning thai school. He will go to M1 this year. We studied like mad in English, math, science and often got private tutors when I could find a cheap one. The best government bilingual programmes are 35000 a term. 70000 2 terms. 

The competition to get into them is horrendous. 

About 800 to 1000 kids fighting for 120 seats. Those government programme also have math, science gifted usually 70 seats. About 17000 per year. 

All the rest go to normal programme and crap school. The top schools facilitate the kids to international Olympiads in math science English. 

We are trying for yothinburana with animation, robotics, aviation and 5 star resorts for camp included in the curriculum. 

Other top schools are satit prasarnmit, samsen and wat singh but that too far for you. 

It depends on her present grade. She must have 3.5 GPA in every subject for grade 4, 5 and 6. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Moti24 said:

After teaching for 10 years in Thai schools, my advice to you is have her educated in the UK.  You're doing her no favours by keeping her here just because you like the lifestyle.  

Your choice; nice lifestyle for you or a proper education for your daughter.

I work in a big American multi-national company in Bangkok since 20 years back and I find that we have no problem hiring smart and knowledgeable Thai's who has gone through the Thai system now-a-days. The ones we finally hire easily outsmart and outperform most western know-it-all teachers working in Thai schools. The key is parental engagement helped with *a few* western teachers - doesn't have to be all at all

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, DLang said:

Look at her doing iGCSE instead of a Thai EP.

Can study privately at different centers.

iGCSE is seen a equivalent to the Thai M6 certificate, even though she will get it at around 16. 

Many Chinese families do it this way. They can enter Thai university when finished (earlier than Thais doing the M6 in a Thai school/EP).

Allows them to start on their master's degree at age 20, or take a year or two out to travel at age 20 with their BA Degree already behind them.

iGCSE in private centers is the way. Good social group and (future) networking too. 

The MoE changed the rules as of 1-Jan-2017 so you can no longer enter a Thai university on an iGCSE at 16

Regarding starting a master's degree at 20. I personally don't think that is advantageous at all. I don't value if my daughter can work for 45 years instead of 43 before she retires and it's quite a risk that she would realise that it wasn't what she wanted to do / what she needs if she travels a year and then come back if I have taught her well. There should be at least a couple of years between the Bachelor and the Master

I love the YouTube video below, what a wonderful message

I agree with the IGCSE to 100% :) British Counsel in Bangkok do IGCSE and A level exams a few times per year, need 5 C's in scholastic subjects and can go on to take A levels. An active parent with limited budget can help his child through that  

Michael

Archived