Smog or fog [emoji780]

Lumbini

I noticed today what looked like smog after all the clear days with cold wind blowing last few weeks . By afternoon it was overcast and looked like humidity and possibly rain now at the beach where I stay around Jomtien it looks smokey tonight but may just be humid kind of fog ? Anyone have any ideas ? I ask because this year see so much traffic and big busses it's like Bangkok traffic at times ( guess that's why I like low season at beach more than this time of year ) so was thinking today after so many clear days with windy cold front gone that could have been keeping car and bus pollution from sight .... What I was looking at ? Was this today smog from all the cars and things as there was no wind ? It's a different beach when wind is blowing and clear but when wind stops this year always seems hazy and even sunsets don't look as good kind of like Bangkok with that haze from pollution . It's great being so close to Bangkok and still being on beach but maybe this area is getting so congested that Pattaya / Jomtien is kind of like just an extension of Bangkok air and traffic at times and does not feel as remote as years before or have as clean of air . Those giant prison lights all along Pattaya and Jomtien beach that are on all night killing the ambience really accentuates the smog or fog tonight but not sure what it is . Today from the 18th floor of building at beach I am in one could not see too far when days with the cold wind was blowing you could see miles and miles and even see the far islands . So much has changed last few years in beach living around here last few years just wondering if the good air is also on the way out and becoming more like Bangkok ?

Air pollution in Pattaya is horrific. I got a forced ventilation system, living not even on a busy Soi, with some sea breeze. The microfilters are filthy  black with sticky coal like substance within 1 week. This is the air that we breath here. Yes, traffic one of the main causes and getting worse by the day. Black exhaust fumes darkening second road day and night with criminally polluting buses and trucks. Paradise.... MS>

It is absolutely smog/pollution. This morning Koh Larn is completely obscured from where I sit in Pratumnak.

Just drove down from Issan yesterday and the difference in air quality is shocking, although there was some field burning going on up there yesterday. A couple hours out from Pattaya the industrial estates start, this combined with the burning is what is causing the pollution. It seems like industrial plants are popping up like mushrooms lately.

Get ready for more and more as the government has really been pushing industrial development in the eastern seaboard.

Per the Weather Channel, we have been experiencing fog which is not that unusual this of year. As a former resident of California, this type of fog which hovers near to the ground is reminiscent of Tule fog. And yes, the number of tour busses certainly does not help air quality, but what we are now witnessing is fog. 

Screenshot_20180117-082744.png

33 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Unfortunately this is not fog, it is most definitely air pollution. Go to the AQI website: http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/ and use the map to zoom into the bangkok area, you will see very high levels of PM2.5 and PM10 in Bangkok, all the way up to Khao Yai, all the way down to Rayong. 

Sorry, Pattaya ain't Bangkok. Bangkok is like Los Angeles of the 70`s.  Areas like Chiang Mai and Kong Kaen also permit agricultural burning this time of year. 

This morning I watched a low flying Air Asia flight do three passes over the bay. You could just about see the red and white colouring on the plane even at a very low altitude and I was wondering then if the poor visibility was having an effect on an attempt to land at UTapao.

5 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

what we are now witnessing is fog. 

Fog isn't what is making me cough and keep clearing my throat, all of which stops if I close doors & windows and turn on A/C with indoor air recycled. On ground level it isn't that visible, but from my 15th floor condo, it's thick and obscuring.

It cleared for a few days after the recent heavy rain, but it's back worse than ever.

5a5ef7a3249f9_airthree.png.320eb3702a01e029cfc7b8087a690632.png5a5ef7b9b8b1e_airtwo(2).png.7741136e73558383b9360d58d9e0c8b9.png

No fog will last all day with this sunshine, it was/is Smog. The worst I've seen in 8 years and has been around for weeks. This is the first time it has affected my breathing, not much but I can tell when I try a deep breath. Where is it all coming from?

I heard the same plane as Midas reported earlier; I'm about a mile from the shoreline and I could not see or locate the plane, just the jet noise.

Driving down from BKK. The closer to Pattsya the less I could see. Almost as we were approaching a brush fire. Driver Türen on lights. Buildings were completely disappeared along shoreline... Terrible and now clear why so many suffer of bronchitis and Pneumonia. Friend moves away this weekend for this reason. MS>

4 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

It definitely  is smog, my car is every  day covered  in a film of oily type dirt, and the patio as well, and we are breathing  it as well, terrible !

I never imagined I would ever see Pattaya by the sea being plagued with the same menacing conditions as up in Chiang Mai at this time of year:sad:

Every year I vow to move south between December and Mid April (when the smog seems to vanish until later on in the year) but have not yet got around to it.

Though I did come back to Thailand from a long trip overseas at the start of November and it was very bad then but only for a few days then it subsided for a while only to come back with a real vengeance recently.

Last year was not too bad but the year before it was awful too. From something like mid December til Mid April every day except 5 or 6 I opened my curtains and there was smog. Sometimes bad and sometimes not so bad but always there.

Then, one day in April, I opened my curtains and it was gone. Just like someone had flicked a switch. Not to return until December or so. 

I now have 3M Filtrete on the air cons and air purifiers going non stop when the pollution is like this. 

For the air purifiers, I just ignore what the makers say they will do and get double the capacity recommended.

Now when I wake up in the morning, even at bad pollution times like this, the only way I know if the air is still bad outside is to take a look.

Before I got the purifiers I knew immediately I woke up. Yuk.

I use the cheap Hatari ones available at the likes of Home Pro etc. Something like 4800 Baht each with a spare filter.

The 3M filtrete is also useful and as air con units blow a huge amount of air, a lot of air is filtered, though not as efficiently as the HEPA filtering done by the purifiers I believe.

I changed the Filtrete only 4 day ago and is already a dark grey colour with all the crap it is has taken out of the air.

I just went out to the 7/11 and the difference in the air between outside and inside my apartment is amazing. I "tasted" the rubbish air as soon as I stepped outside. 

I dread to think how any asthma etc sufferers are coping.

Simon

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 23.05.54.jpg

I suppose when I say it was not too bad last year it was because it seemed better than the horrible Dec to Apr the year before but yes indeed, it was not good at all for quite a while.  

Image attached was taken today. South Pattaya looking towards Pratumnak Hill.

Pattaya Park Tower, something like a mile away is barely visible....

Simon

IMG_2690.jpg

Our school in Bangkok suspended outdoor activities today due to pollution levels. This should have happened all week and people should have been notified. I lived in China last year and the school used to keep all pupils indoors when the AQI hit 160 (which was almost all the time, and in fact it was always way higher than this). At least in China it is monitored and reported on. I've been watching the AQI carefully for the past week here in Bangkok and it has been incredibly high, yet I've seen nothing in the news. 

Archived