Price for laying ceramic floor tiles per square metre

Johnboxer

I would never pay on a square metre basis, I decide on the value of the job and ask for a price, if the quoted price is higher than what I think it's worth or want to pay I find somebody else - and that's true of all work I contract in at my house. Perhaps one way to calculate an approximate price is to look at the job and try and figure out how long it will take and then calculate a price on the basis of whatever daily rate you want to use. For tiling, I might use a daily rate of between around 700 and 1,000 baht a day for a decent tiler.

28 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I would never pay on a square metre basis, I decide on the value of the job and ask for a price, if the quoted price is higher than what I think it's worth or want to pay I find somebody else - and that's true of all work I contract in at my house. Perhaps one way to calculate an approximate price is to look at the job and try and figure out how long it will take and then calculate a price on the basis of whatever daily rate you want to use. For tiling, I might use a daily rate of between around 700 and 1,000 baht a day for a decent tiler.

that way they stretch out a 3 day job to 6, price psm is the fairest way to go, if you have 100sm then you know the price up front, i have been a tiler in the UK for 40 years, i never work per day, people then clock watch. i just had 200 sm done at 110 Baht sm, worked out at 20,000 baht a fair price in my eyes. pay peanuts get monkeys.

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

that way they stretch out a 3 day job to 6, price psm is the fairest way to go, if you have 100sm then you know the price up front, i have been a tiler in the UK for 40 years, i never work per day, people then clock watch. i just had 200 sm done at 110 Baht sm, worked out at 20,000 baht a fair price in my eyes. pay peanuts get monkeys.

Each to their own and good luck with it all, you might, however, want to ask yourself how long it takes a tiler to lay 1 square metre of tile for the 120 baht mentioned above and the relationship between that price and the average daily wage in Thailand! The fact is, large numbers of Thai people won't even begin to understand the concept of price per square metre, until you introduce the concept.

I've paid by the square meter to some teams. Other teams quote on the tiling job. Currently I am paying a married couple to tile a challenging remodel of a bathroom by the day. Today they did work until 6:20pm.  They use the Weber Tile spacers I bought in Buriram. I provided a new tile cutter.  They were keen to use the tile adhesive I bought.  I know people who pay as little as 80 baht per square meter for installation of floor tile. I gladly pay more, and it has served me well. 

I got quoted 420 psm ( including materials except tiles )! by the supervisor of the team who had built the houses in the Moobahn where I live when I asked him as he was doing some other work for me.
I made a quick mental calculation of the cost of the 100 + sm I need tiling, gave him my polite smile and it was never mentioned again !!

I find extremely difficult to find a laborer who can lay tiles straight .... (I'm in pattaya)

I just paid a guy 15K baht for 30 sq m, he did a decent job - not perfect, but I am happy.

That included mortar to lay the tiles down. This was floor and walls (bathroom).

I probably overpaid, but it beats to have to do it 3 times (like I did once before) because they do a shit job.

rudi

• 1 month later...

120 baht per square meter in rural Thailand is a fair price, but you can get it done for as little as 80 baht per square meter. The bill of materials from our architect listed 120 baht/sqm. as the expected price.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, simoh1490 said:

Each to their own and good luck with it all, you might, however, want to ask yourself how long it takes a tiler to lay 1 square metre of tile for the 120 baht mentioned above and the relationship between that price and the average daily wage in Thailand! The fact is, large numbers of Thai people won't even begin to understand the concept of price per square metre, until you introduce the concept.

some trades are worth more than the average daily wage,( ADW) if  i worked for the ADW in the UK, i would never be able to come to Thailand, i know how difficult tiling can be, more so in Thailand with the way they do it, and a tiler that knows his stuff is worth paying a good living wage, some trades earn more, try getting an aircon guy for the ADW,  pay what the jobs worth, regardless of what that works out to a day, why keep your workers on poverty wages, let them rise out of the gutter

• 2 months later...

While I understand a quote per unit area on large jobs, it does not make a lot of sense for small jobs, or jobs with a lot odd shapes.

While it’s tough to find someone to lay tile flat & straight, it’s near impossible to find someone that can center it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been quoted 200 THB per Sqm by a contractor remodeling my house. However there is also the materials cost (apart from the tiles which I will choose/buy). I would like to consider getting the materials myself or make sure that the price he charges is reasonable. Beyond the 200 THB for the labor and whatever I pay for the tiles, how much should I expect to spend on the other materials per sqm?

I have been quoted 200 THB per Sqm by a contractor remodeling my house. However there is also the materials cost (apart from the tiles which I will choose/buy). I would like to consider getting the materials myself or make sure that the price he charges is reasonable. Beyond the 200 THB for the labor and whatever I pay for the tiles, how much should I expect to spend on the other materials per sqm?

Much depends on the quality of the material.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, simoh1490 said:

My Thai builder (55yo) has a list of everything by the SQM - it's the starting place when we work out the cost for a project with him. They are just a father and son who work together and hire local labors when needed.

In my experience you have to check that the workmen know how to lay a tile properly.  I've seen some who just put a blob of cement in the middle of the tile space and  squeeze the tile down.  It often doesn't spread evenly and you end up eventually with tiles that crack at the edges

In my experience you have to check that the workmen know how to lay a tile properly.  I've seen some who just put a blob of cement in the middle of the tile space and  squeeze the tile down.  It often doesn't spread evenly and you end up eventually with tiles that crack at the edges

That’s why it is important to hire the very cheapest day-laborers to perform skilled labor...

Archived