Actor Alec Baldwin defends film maker Woody Allen as Hollywood backs away

webfact

Actor Alec Baldwin defends film maker Woody Allen as Hollywood backs away

2018-01-16T231133Z_1_LYNXMPEE0F1PM_RTROPTP_3_PEOPLE-ELTON-JOHN.JPG

Actor Alec Baldwin gestures before walking on the red carpet during the commemoration of the Elton John AIDS Foundation 25th year fall gala at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, in New York, U.S. November 7, 2017. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Alec Baldwin on Tuesday expressed support for film maker Woody Allen as a growing number of entertainment industry stars seek to distance themselves from the "Annie Hall" director as part of the Time's Up campaign against sexual misconduct.

Baldwin, who appeared in three of Allen's films, said on Twitter that the renunciation of the director and his work was "unfair and sad to me."

Baldwin said working with Allen was "one of the privileges of my career."

Allen has repeatedly denied decades-old accusations that he molested his adopted daughter Dylan when she was seven years old in the early 1990s.

But sentiment has turned against him during the sexual misconduct scandal sweeping Hollywood that has led to dozens of successful men being forced to resign or being dropped from projects.

Baldwin said he did not intend to "dismiss or ignore such complaints."

"But accusing people of such crimes should be treated carefully," he added.

Representatives of Allen did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The director has never been charged with a crime.

Allen, 82, won Oscars for the films "Annie Hall," "Hannah and Her Sisters" and the 2011 comedy "Midnight in Paris," and continues to release a new movie almost every year.

Timothee Chalamet, 22, the star of gay romance "Call me By Your Name," this week became the latest actor to announce he will donate the salary he earned from an Allen movie to "Time's Up" and other causes for sexual abuse victims.

He followed Rebecca Hall, Ellen Page and Mira Sorvino who have made donations or issued regrets about working with Allen in recent weeks.

Last week "Lady Bird" director Greta Gerwig, who acted in the 2012 film "To Rome with Love," said she would not work with Allen again.

The "Time's Up" campaign against sexual harassment in the workplace was launched two weeks ago by more than 300 Hollywood industry figures.

Allen's most recent film "Wonder Wheel," distributed by Amazon Studios <AMZ.N>, has fared poorly at the North American box office taking only $1.4 million since its Dec. 1 release.

His next film "A Rainy Day in New York," starring Chalamet and also from Amazon, is due for release later this year.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-17

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This is turning out, predictably, to be a McCarthy style witch hunt where anyone who could possibly be guilty is branded.

Because, you know, divorcing your wife and marrying her adopted daughter who's 35 years younger than you and who was a teenager when you met is totally not creepy.

2 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Because, you know, divorcing your wife and marrying her adopted daughter who's 35 years younger than you and who was a teenager when you met is totally not creepy.

Remind me of the law that he broke and when/where he was convicted!

I watched the Golden Globes, the whole thing was celebration of the conquest of women over predatory men, particularly white men.  Most of the women seemed absolutely delirious with the war on men. They were careful to point out however, the few men they could identity as being particularly well trained. Ironically a new record for the amount of cleavage on display was also set that night. It was a perfect night for the beatification of Saint Oprah, the woman who almost single-handedly created the mass appeal of political correctness.

Never has the moral high horse soared at such heights. It is amazing to me that finding success in Hollywood transforms a person in to a paragon of virtue and correct living. Whereas I always assumed the reality was a bunch of fragile, drug addicted  self-entitled narcissistic time bombs, living far above reality in a cloud of their own creation.

10 minutes ago, JCauto said:

There was no divorce since they have never been married..

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It's creepy but that's not what he's being held to account for.

True, but it makes one very nervous about the allegations that he was messing with an even younger one. I would completely understand backing away from a guy whose behaviour is already clearly borderline when there are other allegations out there, that's just managing risk. The people backing away from him are not outside his house with pitchforks, they're choosing not to associate with someone who may well be dodgy now that those who previously have operated with impunity have lost it. So nobody is persecuting him, he's enjoying the fruits of his actions. Don't act creepy, and people won't treat you like some creep.

11 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I watched the Golden Globes, the whole thing was celebration of the conquest of women over predatory men, particularly white men.  Most of the women seemed absolutely delirious with the war on men. They were careful to point out however, the few men they could identity as being particularly well trained. Ironically a new record for the amount of cleavage on display was also set that night. It was a perfect night for the beatification of Saint Oprah, the woman who almost single-handedly created the mass appeal of political correctness.

Never has the moral high horse soared at such heights. It is amazing to me that finding success in Hollywood transforms a person in to a paragon of virtue and correct living. Whereas I always assumed the reality was a bunch of fragile, drug addicted  self-entitled narcissistic time bombs, living far above reality in a cloud of their own creation.

Yes, how terrible! Those poor predatory men! Unable to grope, coerce or otherwise choose to take advantage of those less powerful than they. How awful for them. Yes, more casualties in the horrific war on men.

And look at the victorious harpies! Now they dominate corporate boards, power and shares, they are overwhelming majorities in the world's parliaments and serve as most heads of government. And what have men done to deserve this complete loss of their power other than completely despoil the planet, bring endless war and misery for the majority of the people?

The state of the world these days, I tell ya.

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Well said!

Fewer of the younger posters will understand that attitudes towards sex and the relationship between men and women, acceptable and not acceptable, were different in the 1970's and 1980's than they are today, a far more liberal environment existed without any fanfare in the media. I find it galling that this crusade against men who are perceived or claimed to have committed inappropriate acts some forty years ago, see those acts measured in the context of today's values. But let's be clear, even forty years there were lines but hey were in a different place than they are today, pretending they weren't is simply a vehicle to promote the ego's of "poor downtrodden and often abused females", the poor dears!

13 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yes, how terrible! Those poor predatory men! Unable to grope, coerce or otherwise choose to take advantage of those less powerful than they. How awful for them. Yes, more casualties in the horrific war on men.

And look at the victorious harpies! Now they dominate corporate boards, power and shares, they are overwhelming majorities in the world's parliaments and serve as most heads of government. And what have men done to deserve this complete loss of their power other than completely despoil the planet, bring endless war and misery for the majority of the people?

The state of the world these days, I tell ya.

I will never say that there weren't some scaly creatures making movies back in the day. But let's be realistic. Hollywood evolved out of an endless supply of pretty people with few worldly skills other than a perfect body and a lovely face. Celebrities are the play things of the super rich. Money and fame were on the table and so were the lads and lasses who were prepared to do what ever it took to get on top. To look at it now through the lens of modern puritanism is complete folly.

Your closing paragraph is irrelevant to the OP and cliche anti-male hate mongering.

Soon-Yi is Andre Previn and Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. Woody Allen was Mia Farrow's boyfriend but they never lived together. Woody and Soon-Yi have been married for around 20 years now, and have adopted two daughters. The charges made by Dylan were fully investigated, Woody Allen took a polygraph, and despite the efforts of the Prosecutor, no charges were made and Woody Allen was exonerated. Do you think his adoption of two daughters would have been approved by the U.S. adoption authorities if there was any chance he was a child molestor?

Alec Baldwin is right and those attacking Woody Allen might want to consider the effect it has on his family.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

59 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Not creepy or illegal and they have been married 20 years, plenty here married to far younger Thai women, is that 'creepy'?

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I will never say that there weren't some scaly creatures making movies back in the day. But let's be realistic. Hollywood evolved out of an endless supply of pretty people with few worldly skills other than a perfect body and a lovely face. Celebrities are the play things of the super rich. Money and fame were on the table and so were the lads and lasses who were prepared to do what ever it took to get on top. To look at it now through the lens of modern puritanism is complete folly.

Your closing paragraph is irrelevant to the OP and cliche anti-male hate mongering.

Sure, Hollywood is an amoral place where ambitious and attractive young men and women play the game. Does that make sexual predation okay because that's "just the way it is"? I don't think so. And to address the point made that these things were done 40-50 years ago when morals, attitudes and society were different - yes, I agree. Although as that poster noted, there were still clear lines that were crossed back then too. But sure, we shouldn't judge actions of long ago from the lens of our current (hopefully more enlightened) times. 

I fail to see why my paragraph is irrelevant or anti-male hate mongering. It's a clearly sarcastic note that despite the so-called "war on men", men continue to completely dominate practically all affairs of humankind at all important levels. This false persecution complex also drives much of the support for Donald Trump. Claiming that we're in the midst of some witchhunt because people are now being cautious about powerful men who appear to have questionable morals in their dealings with people whom they are in a position of authority over is patently absurd.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

It is creepy. But I don't know that careers should be necessarily ruined for being creepy.

14 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

And many did take that short cut to the top, the notion of the casting couch is entrenched in Hollywood history, just like open widescale bribery and corruption is a part of Asian and Far Eastern culture (but now viewed as unacceptable by many in the West, despite them having participated in it in the past and continuing to still do so today). One wonders why many of those females who claim to have had their deep-rooted morals sexually compromised, thirty and forty years ago, did nothing until today, lemmings is one likely answer, trending is another, other agendas is a possible third - it's a little bit like voting for Brexit or Trump, gee that sounds like it might be fun, that should upset the status quo, I need to get on that bandwagon and be perceived as a leading edge revolutionary.

11 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Not creepy or illegal and they have been married 20 years, plenty here married to far younger Thai women, is that 'creepy'?

No, only if they were dating their Thai mothers, acted as a father figure for their adopted teenage kids, then eventually started sleeping with those same kids once they became adults.

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

One wonders why many of those females who claim to have had their deep-rooted morals sexually compromised, thirty and forty years ago, did nothing until today

The coolest thing to be these days is a victim. Being a fame whore 40 years ago is now redefined as being oppressed. A second harvest if you will.

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is creepy. But I don't know that careers should be necessarily ruined for being creepy.

Claiming Allen's career to have been "ruined" is hyperbolic to say the least. He's been able to make as many and any movie he pleases, play his clarinet in his club, live a luxury life in NYC. 

I am comfortable with the clearly established fact that people of exceptional ability and intelligence are also more prone to mental illness and strange proclivities. That there have been any number of geniuses or exceptional artists/politicians/athletes who were also despicable people should not be a surprise to anyone who chooses to remain informed. This tends to colour our admiration for that person and their achievements, it's true. But whose fault is that?

These people were gifted in some ways, but cursed in others, and chose to act in harmful ways to others who were not in control or consent. That's part of their record, and we're free to continue to admire or despise or do both as we believe. It's a pity, I quite like his earlier movies. But once he married his gf's young daughter, yeah, I didn't really feel like seeing his movies so much. One runs into this dilemma all the time, especially when one has sports teams one is attached to and they have flawed people who play for them. But to pretend they're not more than a bit creepy at the very least and that this somehow constitutes some terrible persecution of these powerful and rich dudes who certainly knew better is just bizarre to me. 

25 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

The coolest thing to be these days is a victim. Being a fame whore 40 years ago is now redefined as being oppressed. A second harvest if you will.

And as y'all are such sticklers for accuracy, we're talking 20 years ago, not 40.

12 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Claiming Allen's career to have been "ruined" is hyperbolic to say the least. He's been able to make as many and any movie he pleases, play his clarinet in his club, live a luxury life in NYC. 

I am comfortable with the clearly established fact that people of exceptional ability and intelligence are also more prone to mental illness and strange proclivities. That there have been any number of geniuses or exceptional artists/politicians/athletes who were also despicable people should not be a surprise to anyone who chooses to remain informed. This tends to colour our admiration for that person and their achievements, it's true. But whose fault is that?

These people were gifted in some ways, but cursed in others, and chose to act in harmful ways to others who were not in control or consent. That's part of their record, and we're free to continue to admire or despise or do both as we believe. It's a pity, I quite like his earlier movies. But once he married his gf's young daughter, yeah, I didn't really feel like seeing his movies so much. One runs into this dilemma all the time, especially when one has sports teams one is attached to and they have flawed people who play for them. But to pretend they're not more than a bit creepy at the very least and that this somehow constitutes some terrible persecution of these powerful and rich dudes who certainly knew better is just bizarre to me. 

Stop making things up. I never said his career had been ruined. Seriously, don't do that. It's really offensive. Say what you want but you don't get to totally FABRICATE what other people say. 

Viva Time’s Up. 

Let’s hope every scum bag who has sexually exploited and abused those less powerful than themselves is held to account. 

That includes gaoling those filth who sexually assaulted women and men in the past. 

No matter how distant that past. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Stop making things up. I never said his career had been ruined. Seriously, don't do that. It's really offensive. Say what you want but you don't get to totally FABRICATE what other people say. 

You did say "It is creepy. But I don't know that careers should be necessarily ruined for being creepy." I presumed as we were talking about Woody Allen, that this is what you meant. Apologies if not, I was not trying to fabricate anything from what you wrote.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Yes, how terrible! Those poor predatory men! Unable to grope, coerce or otherwise choose to take advantage of those less powerful than they. 

But I thought Americans just dismissed this as 'Locker room talk' or 'Locker room behaviour'. It may have escaped your notice but Allen was never charged with anything, yet POTUS had a court case hanging over him (until the witness was intimidated) that was for the rape of a 13 and 12 year old girl. When will "Times Up" come for him?

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

I fail to see why my paragraph is irrelevant or anti-male hate mongering. It's a clearly sarcastic note that despite the so-called "war on men", men continue to completely dominate practically all affairs of humankind at all important levels. This false persecution complex also drives much of the support for Donald Trump. Claiming that we're in the midst of some witchhunt because people are now being cautious about powerful men who appear to have questionable morals in their dealings with people whom they are in a position of authority over is patently absurd.

The Prime minster of Britain is female, the Empress of Germany/Europe is female, The US will almost certainly have a female president in the next election or the one after that. I am sure that Justin Trudeau is ashamed of his testicles, as is probably Macron.  Corporations do not switch leadership in the same manner as politics. But you can see the trend there as well.

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Viva Time’s Up. 

Let’s hope every scum bag who has sexually exploited and abused those less powerful than themselves is held to account. 

That includes gaoling those filth who sexually assaulted women and men in the past. 

If you are including sex tourists who fly it to 'exploit' sex workers then that is more than a few on here.

34 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Viva Time’s Up. 

This is a good day for you. War on men and a blackface thread too. You better put the kettle on.

Archived