Prachuap Khiri Khan: Truck driver went to help his friend - and paid with his life

webfact

Truck driver went to help his friend - and paid with his life

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A truck driver who stopped on the highway to help a fellow trucker who had broken down paid with his life when a container lorry slammed into the back of the vehicle.

Thongchai police in Prachuap Khiri Khan went with foundation medics to the scene of the accident on Petchkasem southbound in Bang Saphan district just after midnight this morning.

Dead at the scene - and almost cut in two by the impact - was 39 year old Athorn Khlaimee. Moments earlier he had seen his friend's truck stopped on the hard shoulder and had pulled in front to offer his assistance.

The other vehicle had a fuel injection problem and as Athorn and the other driver Sanan Songmeuang, 53, were standing on the left side looking into the matter a Songkhla container truck plowed into the back of the parked vehicle.

Athorn was dragged under the wheels and killed instantly.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-17

Eventually, Thailand is going to have to do something about highway 4. It is over congested with trucks. I propose a second level, that functions as high speed toll road. Very limited access. Accessible only for cars and motorbikes. No trucks. It has to happen sooner or later. It is the main north south artery in the country. Spend the money now. I know I would use it. I would pay the money for the convenience, and safety. How many times I have been stuck behind a slow moving truck, in the fast lane. 

Also, the lack of a good freight system on the trains is part of the problem. Most countries have that. Almost all the goods in the country are moved around by trucks. That has to end. An alternative must be created. 

Archived