Prayut puts medical marijuana farm on hold

webfact

Prayut puts medical marijuana farm on hold

By The Nation

ab7a8f6b746aefcf8f8ce47eb8fcd601.jpeg

File photo: Narcotics Suppression Bureau holds press conference last year to announce the seizure of 1.1 tonne of dried marijuana.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has put a brake on an idea to build the first legal cannabis plantation in Thailand, saying more study is needed.

The premier responded to a move by farmers’ association chairman Prapat Panyachartraksa, who told the media this week that authorities had agreed to build a 5,000-rai (800-hectare) facility in Sakon Nakhon province to grow the cannabis for medical purposes.

“I have never known about that. I asked Piyasakon [Sakolsattayatorn, Public Health Minister] and he said there are no regulations issued to allow it,” Prayut said after a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Although marijuana can be grown and sold legally in some countries for medical purposes, Thailand needs tough measures to prevent the spread out of any kind of drug, he said.

“For the time being, permission for planting cannabis is unacceptable for Thais, so we need further study,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30336455

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-17

He's right to pan it, probably completely unplanned and unnecessary. if they want to study for medicinal use then they need to look at how they are going to go about doing the studies before just planting a crop. in the UK there's a plantation run by GW Pharma next to research facilities on MOD property in Kent. Has been going donkeys years. Almost not worth them starting the studies here now, most countries started their studies decades ago. They can just go off research from the west like they have to do with 99% of medical products used in Thailand. Basically, it would be a waste of time and money IMO

**once they approve some products for use here that have been OK'd in the west, then they can either buy the products abroad or once out of licence make their own generics, that would be the time for them to start growing, that's a long way off especially under the current government i reckon

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

So after yesterday' announcement....someone whispered in his ear.....and it was very likely a farm of his associates as I just could not see him allowing some poor rice farmer to grow dope!

A cash crop like that in the hands of farmers will tip the scales of wealth in their favor. People with wealth can afford education and education leads to exercising rights.  The farmers would then have ambition, but those who smoked the product would not.  Thais with even less curiosity and ambition would be a problem. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Although marijuana can be grown and sold legally in some countries for medical purposes, Thailand needs tough measures to prevent the spread out of any kind of drug, he said.

A lot of "illegal" drugs have medicinal properties and are used in the pharmaceutical industry.

Marijuana is no where near as dangerous as some of them.

Ridiculous not to grow it for medicinal purposes.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has put a brake on an idea to build the first legal cannabis plantation in Thailand, saying more study is needed.

I hope he means more testing is needed. Maybe that helps him to calm down and concentrate on writing poems, heroic scripts for soap operas, and patriotic songs. 

A cash crop like that in the hands of farmers will tip the scales of wealth in their favor. People with wealth can afford education and education leads to exercising rights.  The farmers would then have ambition, but those who smoked the product would not.  Thais with even less curiosity and ambition would be a problem. 
Exactly. Usually I don't believe in conspiracies but the pharmaceutical industry has a huge interest to keep hemp illegal.
Another example, why do you think there are only a handful of breweries in Thailand and producing craft beer is declared illegal? Lobbyism at it's best

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Depends if you use a vaporizer or if you smoke it with tobacco .

you see, good that they had the foresight to ban e-smoking.
who knows what people put in their electronic smoking devices. 
;-)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

".....planting cannabis is unacceptable for Thais, so we need further study”

Some years back while I was travelling India I was taken to a Sikh temple. Part of that temple was an infirmary for the aged and suffering. There they produced cannabis medication for the relief of pain for the patients. Probably been doing that for centuries. 

Sadly the PM who seems to believe he is the "father" of the Nation and knows best for everyone has put the kibosh on that idea. 

Humanitarianism and benevolence to the needy and suffering are traditionally lacking in military governments. Thailand is no exception.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

So people like Sir Richard Branson, Sir Paul McCartney and Dr. Carl Sagan who smoke cannabis lack ambition and don't contribute to society ?

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

He's right to pan it, probably completely unplanned and unnecessary. if they want to study for medicinal use then they need to look at how they are going to go about doing the studies before just planting a crop. in the UK there's a plantation run by GW Pharma next to research facilities on MOD property in Kent. Has been going donkeys years. Almost not worth them starting the studies here now, most countries started their studies decades ago. They can just go off research from the west like they have to do with 99% of medical products used in Thailand. Basically, it would be a waste of time and money IMO

**once they approve some products for use here that have been OK'd in the west, then they can either buy the products abroad or once out of licence make their own generics, that would be the time for them to start growing, that's a long way off especially under the current government i reckon

I don't know how the studies are going in the UK but the ones in the US are highly suspect.  They are controlled by the federal government which seeks out researchers promising to find harmful health effects in their final summations before they can get approval to get on the list to get any 'federally sanctioned and grown' weed.   And it turns out the weed the govt. grows hasn't been hybridized or upgraded from a strain they got back in the 1940's.  As a result it is estimated to have around 3% of the strength of the new hybrid legal weeds for sale in Colorado for general recreational use.  Our national govt. still classifies pot with heroin and has very draconian laws.  Obama's atty. general Eric Holder refused to enforce them but our new atty. general Jeff Sessions says he is about to create a new big crackdown so that the US can start into drug wars like Columbia and Mexico.  Yes.  He is an idiot!

The resistance at the top is from the large family corporations here that own distilleries and pharmacy manufacturing plants.  They have the direct ear of the govt. whenever they wish to use it.  Or is that the resistance we face in the USA?  I forget now!   OH SAME SAME.   SAME SAME!  The US has 8 states where recreational weed is legal now and 22 that have medical marijuana.  I think the study period is over!  It is time to get the seeds planted for some medical products at the very least.

If nothing else the value of compassion for cancer victims should make this a top priority in every country.

Since most of the weed is an agricultural product it would be like trying to enforce trademarks and patents and licenses  on a potato.  I think this really bothers big businesses which see getting into this field as being a cut throat and competitive venture with little ability to use their size and clout to start out on top and stay at the top.

All in my humble opinion.

Your going to have further study to come up with the same conclusions Canada,and other countries as well as  24 states in the USA have come up with ?

Study what ? Time for what Listen to YOUR Experts on it ? What a joke

Its called "dragging your feet" on the issue

24 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

So people like Sir Richard Branson, Sir Paul McCartney and Dr. Carl Sagan who smoke cannabis lack ambition and don't contribute to society ?

Of course they contribute and they are ambitious.  Pot is great for ambitious people.   

On 1/17/2018 at 1:24 PM, yellowboat said:

Now that we have 8 states in the USA with legal recreational pot its pretty obvious the stereotype of the lazy out of stoner is in no way the average pot smoker.  Unless you believe each and every person having a beer after work is a face in the gutter alcoholic that will sleep there and piss himself with no future.  

I see the Thai as pleasant and agreeable.  Curiosity killed the cat and we know what ambition did for Cesar.

Archived