Non-imm-O-Visa in Bangkok

I've recently returned to Thailand (on a 30 day stamp).  Soon, I intend to apply for a non-imm-O-Visa in Bangkok.

I asked some questions about this a few months ago - but there was a lot of FUD around visas, and talk of an impending change, and things being in-flux.

... so before I go off to the bank - and ask them to print a letter for me... I just wanted to check-in that situations haven't changed - and this visa is still doable.  As far as I'm aware - I just need a letter from a Thai bank that funds originate from outside Thailand.  Anything else?

I have a UK passport.  I am over 50.

You need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the extension of it to a apply for a non immigrant visa entry.

For retirement the requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

You need 2 letters from the bank. One to confirm your account and one to prove the funds came from abroad,

• 3 weeks later...

So, it turned out I need to go out and in to Thailand again before I apply for my O-Visa.  (The bank has needed to confirm with head-office about the origin of my funds).  I should be applying later this month.

How long can I stay on an O-Visa before conversion?  People have talked about 3 months... Is that just a minimum?

Will conversion to a retirement visa be straightforward within Bangkok?  Are there any special hoops I need to jump through?  Any more evidence I need to submit?

1 hour ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

So, it turned out I need to go out and in to Thailand again before I apply for my O-Visa.  (The bank has needed to confirm with head-office about the origin of my funds).  I should be applying later this month.

How long can I stay on an O-Visa before conversion?  People have talked about 3 months... Is that just a minimum?

Will conversion to a retirement visa be straightforward within Bangkok?  Are there any special hoops I need to jump through?  Any more evidence I need to submit?

Your post is a little confusing, so let me see if I can untangle a few things.

1. If you applied for, and received, a Non O visa outside Thailand, then when you entered Thailand, you received a permission to stay of 90 days. Towards the end of that 90 days (typically the last 30 days) you can apply for a one-year extension of the basis of retirement.
  2. If you entered Thailand using a tourist visa or visa exempt, you will have receive a permission to stay of 60 days or 30 days respectively. However, your permission to stay is as a tourist. On a tourist entry, you cannot apply for a one-year extension based on retirement. You could go to a nearby consulate outside Thailand and apply for a Non O visa (in which case you proceed as in 1. above). However, immigration provides you an alternative. With at least 15 days left on your tourist entry, you can apply for a Non O visa without leaving Thailand. this process is often termed a "conversion" because the effect is that, instead of being on the tourist entry, you will be on a new 90-day non immigrant permission to stay. Once this has been issued to you, again, it is possible to apply for a one-year extension on the basis of retirement in about the last 30 days of the new permission to stay.

2 hours ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

why not get a 30 day extension if you have less than the required 15 days left on your visa exempt entry

OP, i'm not sure if you got a non imm O outside thailand or just came back visa exempt.  i did a 'conversion' or 'change visa' from a visa exempt to non imm O last march at CW at bangkok.  you have to make two visits, about two weeks apart.  one to apply and one to get the non imm O stamp.  i arrived both times around 9:15 am and was done within 20 minutes each time (i've waited several hours for other things at CW !!!).  they have a separate desk for 'change visa' and not much of a crowd evidently.  you need the bank letter and bank book.  very simple (plus the passport, copies, etc..).  getting my first extension of stay at the end of the non imm O was not fun, arrived 9:15 and left at 3:30pm.  there was a holiday that week.

Apologies for the confusion.  I needed to go out and in - because I'd have less that 15 days left by the time the bank got the letter ready.

I haven't applied for the Non Imm O-Visa yet.  I intend to do so when I get back from Malaysia (on a 30day stamp).

@Steve... I could have got an extension... But I like taking trips to Malaysia.

Thanks for the information everyone.  A great help.

17 hours ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

Apologies for the confusion.  I needed to go out and in - because I'd have less that 15 days left by the time the bank got the letter ready.

I haven't applied for the Non Imm O-Visa yet.  I intend to do so when I get back from Malaysia (on a 30day stamp).

@Steve... I could have got an extension... But I like taking trips to Malaysia.

Thanks for the information everyone.  A great help.

If your Malaysian trips take you anywhere near Penang have you considered the possibility of obtaining a non-O visa there as an alternative to a non-O conversion in Bangkok - assuming, of course, that you can satisfy the various requirements described in the fairly recent thread below?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8 February 2018 at 3:03 PM, OJAS said:

If your Malaysian trips take you anywhere near Penang have you considered the possibility of obtaining a non-O visa there as an alternative to a non-O conversion in Bangkok...

I was in Penang... but last time I looked into getting it done there - the problem was a "proof of retirement"... that they don't impose in Bangkok.

Another Question.... If I get a non-Imm O-Visa.... how could I leave the country during that 3 months ?  Am I free to leave the country?  Does leaving the country invalidate it?  Or do I need to get a re-entry visa?

Edited by 234872_1469957439

3 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

Or do I need to get a re-entry visa?

You have to apply for a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you enter the country. The fee for a single re-entry permit is 1000 baht

a few questions i need clarifying if you would be so kind.

1.i have my non.imm visa that runs out on the 11th april, can i apply for my retirement papers now or do i have to wait for the last 30 days 

2. they gave me a TM 7 form to fill in when i got my Non imm visa is this the correct form for retirement purposes.

3. do have have to produce my bank statements pass book and bank letter again confirming funds in my account (800,000) on the day i apply for retirement.

4. have i missed anything else i need .

One other thing i have done all this on my own (except for the great assistance from people here ) so if i can do it anybody can no need to spend a lot of money on agents.

thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, bangkokspur said:

1.i have my non.imm visa that runs out on the 11th april, can i apply for my retirement papers now or do i have to wait for the last 30 days 

2. they gave me a TM 7 form to fill in when i got my Non imm visa is this the correct form for retirement purposes.

3. do have have to produce my bank statements pass book and bank letter again confirming funds in my account (800,000) on the day i apply for retirement.

4. have i missed anything else i need .

1. It depends upon the office where you will be applying. Some offices allow you do it 45 days early.

2. Yes it is the correct form. All extensions are applied for using a TM7 form.

3. Yes you do.

4. I don't think so unless you want to apply for a re-entry permit during the same trip to immigration.