'Crazy' Apartment Staff lady?

mitsubishi

I've recently rented a room at this apartment. Ever since moving in though the member of staff that works in the office is nagging at me to give her a thai mobile number. 

Just this morning she is nagging at me as I depart the building.

I know I have to give my passport details for a sim card and to check in, but this is ridiculous.

I ask her who the hell is so keen on this and her response is: Head Office.

Who does she mean? Apartment head office or Big Government Head Office?

Has anyone else had this BS to deal with?

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe she fancies you,and wants to phone you for a date,

as Alfieconn says just give her a made up Thai mobile number

or she is going to be on and on about it.

regards worgeordie

Yeah, could be, but she's got a lousy attitude and way too dark for my lofty tastes.

What's the harm in giving them your number? Might in fact turn out useful in case there's some kind of situation in the building or neighborhood that they want to let you know when you are out and about.

Or maybe you'll need to call them about something and then they can check the number and be sure it's  you.

Heck, my number is known to dozens of businesses and people, as I am sure is yours. What difference would one more make?

Exactly

1 hour ago, Bang Bang said:

What's the harm in giving them your number? Might in fact turn out useful in case there's some kind of situation in the building or neighborhood that they want to let you know when you are out and about.

Or maybe you'll need to call them about something and then they can check the number and be sure it's  you.

Heck, my number is known to dozens of businesses and people, as I am sure is yours. What difference would one more make?

Could help a lot more than it could hurt.  Fire?  Flood?  Stranger in your room?  People moving stuff out if your room?  You accidentally didn't pay rent?  These are the people you trust with your mail, and will provide you with critical paperwork.  I distance myself from folks, who think they're too cool for a <deleted> phone.  Mine was free from AIS and cost me about 100 THB per month.  It is plain rude to show up at someone's door without a quick call.  You may not get in the building, hopefully.  As much as I enjoy explaining to old expats how to mail in their 90 day reports for the umpteenth time; they really should call first.  And it is a lot better for checking on a persons well being, too.  Sheesh.  Thais don't like blanks on forms left blank.  She may need your number for TM30.

Have you refused to take their number for the office in case you need it, or do you have no problem with that?  What's the issue with giving the apartment office your number, are you planning on doing a runner or have some other reason for the place that you live in not to be able to contact you?  You want to live in their property but you don't want them to be able to contact you?  Ridiculous to make such a fuss about it.

21 hours ago, alfieconn said:

So give her a Thai mobile number just not your's ! :biggrin:

The same thing happened to me when getting my Thai driving license - I don't have a mobile and their computer system cannot accommodate LAND LINE Numbers from TOT, so in the end I just made up a number beginning with 081xxxxxx and gave them that instead - they seemed quite happy at the time. At least they haven't bothered ringing me to complain that it is the wrong number yet anyway.

5 hours ago, Formaleins said:

The same thing happened to me when getting my Thai driving license - I don't have a mobile and their computer system cannot accommodate LAND LINE Numbers from TOT, so in the end I just made up a number beginning with 081xxxxxx and gave them that instead - they seemed quite happy at the time. At least they haven't bothered ringing me to complain that it is the wrong number yet anyway.

How would you know if they did call that number?  Seems very odd, not to say unlikely in the extreme, that you would go to the trouble of getting a TOT landline but not bother with a mobile, don't you think?

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How would you know if they did call that number?  Seems very odd, not to say unlikely in the extreme, that you would go to the trouble of getting a TOT landline but not bother with a mobile, don't you think?

whoosh.

Some people are tripping over themselves in their efforts to make life just that little bit more difficult for themselves.... 

... just give her your number !!!... really, what is the big deal ????

Her attitude is probably a little off as she has mirrored your behavior - it seems you may not have endeared yourself very well to those from whom you may require a little assistance in the future. 

Archived