Russian gang steal Bitcoin worth millions from young Russian couple in Phuket condo extortion

webfact

so the gang will be easily traced with the Iphone  then not a big deal then Russian couple they should get the money back once they are rounded up in  Malaysia. as they say in the TV first 48hrs are the most important for the police.

If they are in Malaysia...if in fact they actually exist, it should be quite a simple operation with the cops Malay brothers, to find the perps.

If the kids did have crypto, the leaving it on their laptops is the first stupid thing to do......but the story doesn't sound at all right.

11 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

so the gang will be easily traced with the Iphone  then not a big deal then Russian couple they should get the money back once they are rounded up in  Malaysia. as they say in the TV first 48hrs are the most important for the police.

Thailand is not USA sitcom bullsh..t. 24 hrs or 48 Hrs  LMAO. Too much US TV shows me thinks! This is the real world! Not a tube with hairstyle actors.

50 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

If the kids did have crypto, the leaving it on their laptops is the first stupid thing to do......but the story doesn't sound at all right.

Actually it's not one of the worst things to do....

Crypto cloud wallets and exchanges have been frequently hacked before.

Therefore, using a "cold wallet" is a standard recommendation.

And forcing someone to hand out the passphrase  works also for cloud storage :wink:

4 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Dopeheads don’t realise that Cryptocurrencies were dirt cheap just 18 months ago , infact Ethereum in early 2016 was around A$4, went up to $2000 and $1380 today. Work it out what 1000 coins are now worth at a buy price of $4000. Yup! Millions!!.  Smart kids could have bought them. 

I assume you have some Ethereum.  Can't blame you for trying to talk it up if you own it.

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

I wonder if it is 4M Thai Bath, 100000 Euro or 100000 USD? 

Otherwise, this is how it goes for people talking to much and showing off how smart they have been. How in the world could anybody know that this pair was the ones to rob.

The smart persons that mekaes the good money, not even give any person their full address. They just keep a low profile.

Doesn't really matter, does it?  The figures quoted were "nearly B4m", not "B4m" which is roughly correct for those USD and Euro amounts.

People who are followed do not have to give their addresses in order to be located.

13 hours ago, pomozki said:

"Thai police said that they have information that the gang have fled to Malaysia.

Arrest warrants are being prepared."

love it

"May have" fled .  They'd be negligent if they didn't get warrants and the Russians were still in Thailand, wouldn't they?

11 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

Totally agree. "I smell a rat" and the smell is coming from the victims and Thieves/robbers who are both Russian..Insurance scam?

Amount stolen? Conflicting amounts same story:

• before stealing nearly 4 million baht in Bitcoin Thai News. That's $125,000 US . Then we have,
  • From The Nation. Russian couple robbed of US$100,000 in bitcoin in Phuket .

It's an inside job tied in with Thai cops.Victims /Robbers and Thai police for insurance. Case solved. Next fraud case!

"...before stealing nearly 4 million baht in Bitcoin Thai News. That's $125,000 US..."

It's not $125k, it's near to $125k.  No real conflict there. particularly with a wildly fluctuating asset.

"..Insurance scam?"

Can you explain how to insure crypocurrency against online theft? 

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If they are in Malaysia...if in fact they actually exist, it should be quite a simple operation with the cops Malay brothers, to find the perps.

Stupid?  Why?  Is there any way to trade Bitcoins other than online?

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Doesn't really matter, does it?  The figures quoted were "nearly B4m", not "B4m" which is roughly correct for those USD and Euro amounts.

People who are followed do not have to give their addresses in order to be located.

Sure it is! Euro around 38 Bath, USD around 32 Bath. Roughly 15% difference. If you have 1 million and loose 15% equal to 150K, then that is just same to you. Great!

Are you going to tell me that you are a great investor next? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Sure it is! Euro around 38 Bath, USD around 32 Bath. Roughly 15% difference. If you have 1 million and loose 15% equal to 150K, then that is just same to you. Great!

Are you going to tell me that you are a great investor next? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Baht. Not "bath". 

Can I say "I told you so" now?

The only thing that surprises me about this, is that it was done by physical extortion. However, I'm expecting a lot of stories about how hackers are looting pretend money on line in the future.

Publicising that every computer chip has an unfixable flaw must have made a lot of bad people very happy.

Details emerge in strange case of alleged Phuket robbery that left Russians Bitcoinless

By Coconuts Bangkok 

co.jpg

The allegedly victimized couple.

An alleged bitcoin robbery at a condominium in Phuket on Monday has left a Russian couple without THB3.5 million in cryptocurrency, they claim. Today, a few more details of their alleged abduction, as well as their photo, have come to light.

The couple reported the alleged robbery to Lt. Chanat Hongsuttichaikun, of the Chalong Police, on Wednesday.

The victims were Russian nationals Maxim Lastovka, 27, and his girlfriend, Anna Nikulina, 22.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/details-emerge-strange-case-alleged-phuket-robbery-left-russians-bitcoinless/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-01-19

Archived